Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love my tire mobility kit, or rather I love the awesome little air compressor half of it.

Checked the tire pressure in my 2-month old Soul today and all but one of the tires were low by 1 to 3 PSI. Dug out the tire mobility kit and had all three tires back up to 33 PSI in a couple minutes. Never again will I have to pay for gas station air!
___

Still planning on getting the spare tire kit, though. (Would love a regular full-size spare tire, but apparently the under-floor foam storage organizer won't fit with a full-size spare).

·
Registered
248 Posts
I never pay for air. I go to my local discount tire and they gladly check my tire tread depth and the air for free.

And good luck with that air blower thingie on an isolated road in the middle of the night with a sidewall puncture.

First thing I did was grab a full size spare off Craigslist. Found one with new tire for $25 cash.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And good luck with that air blower thingie on an isolated road in the middle of the night with a sidewall puncture.
As I said, I plan on getting a spare tire. I may love the little air compressor, but I don't trust the can of goo.

First thing I did was grab a full size spare off Craigslist. Found one with new tire for $25 cash.
I'd happily get a full-size spare if it fit in the spare tire wheel well with the organizer on top and the "floor" on top of that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I got a spare tire kit from my dealer, but was disappointed that they kept the air compressor thing when they "installed" the spare tire. They said they couldn't put it back in there since it no longer fit. I wish I would've thought to take it out before I went to the dealer that day.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I never pay for air. I go to my local discount tire and they gladly check my tire tread depth and the air for free.

There is no way I am going to haul around a full size tire in the back of my car, what is this 1975?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I got a spare tire kit from my dealer, but was disappointed that they kept the air compressor thing when they "installed" the spare tire. They said they couldn't put it back in there since it no longer fit. I wish I would've thought to take it out before I went to the dealer that day.
I would go back and request it, you paid for it and who cares if it will fit or not in the spot where the tire goes, you own it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange, given it's such a small thing and there's plenty of room elsewhere in the Soul to keep it. You can buy a Kia tire mobility kit off eBay for about $20, or a 12-volt air compressor off eBay or Amazon for varying prices.

There is no way I am going to haul around a full size tire in the back of my car, what is this 1975?
LOL!

I had three flat tires last year in my previous car. One was on my day off, I tossed on the spare donut and drove the 1.2 miles to the tire place to get it fixed. Not all my flats were that... convenient.

A full size spare makes sense to me since you can replace any tire and there are no speed or distance limitations (you're almost asking to be in an accident around here driving any highway slower than 60 MPH, and donuts aren't rated for faster than 50 MPH), but I have nowhere to store the cargo organizer and I'm not willing to get rid of it. Still, I'd rather have at least a donut spare than to have my only options be a can of goo or a tow truck.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I got a spare tire kit from my dealer, but was disappointed that they kept the air compressor thing when they "installed" the spare tire. They said they couldn't put it back in there since it no longer fit. I wishI would've thought to take it out before I went to the dealer that day.
Go back to your dealer and tell them you want your kit back ! They lied to you ! Flat out lied ! I looked in my cargo/spare area and saw the air compressor kit so I assumed (dont assume) I had no spare . Ordered a jack and spare and when I went to put it in ...guess what I found under that Styrofoam tray ????? Yup , complete spare and jack !

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Strange, given it's such a small thing and there's plenty of room elsewhere in the Soul to keep it. You can buy a Kia tire mobility kit off eBay for about $20, or a 12-volt air compressor off eBay or Amazon for varying prices.

LOL!

I had three flat tires last year in my previous car. One was on my day off, I tossed on the spare donut and drove the 1.2 miles to the tire place to get it fixed. Not all my flats were that... convenient.

A full size spare makes sense to me since you can replace any tire and there are no speed or distance limitations (you're almost asking to be in an accident around here driving any highway slower than 60 MPH, and donuts aren't rated for faster than 50 MPH), but I have nowhere to store the cargo organizer and I'm not willing to get rid of it. Still, I'd rather have at least a donut spare than to have my only options be a can of goo or a tow truck.
I don't know what to tell you about your three flat tires in a year. Perhaps a higher quality tire would be in order.

24 years of driving and I have never had a flat on the road where a spare would be usefull. And if I did, I would just utilize the FREE road service that comes with our cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't know what to tell you about your three flat tires in a year. Perhaps a higher quality tire would be in order.
Unless the high quality tires these days are immune to puncture from nails and screws, I don't see how the quality of the tire would make a difference.

24 years of driving and I have never had a flat on the road where a spare would be usefull. And if I did, I would just utilize the FREE road service that comes with our cars.
I drove 16 years before I got my very first flat. I've had six since then, three in the past year.

The free roadside assistance is only good for five years, right? I plan on keeping my Soul longer than that. The only reason I even have a Soul is the 12-year old Saturn I traded in for it was starting to have issues; would've kept that car much longer if I could've.

I can appreciate that you think Kia's Tire Mobility Kit and Roadside Assistance are the greatest things since cronuts, and that you think spare tires went out with 8-tracks... However, *I* don't trust the can of goo not to ruin my tire, wheel, and tire pressure monitor, nor do *I* trust the tow truck and the Kia dealership not to make a simple flat tire into an eight-hour inconvenience.

Sorry I posted anything in the first place, sheesh.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Oh, I dunno... worn out tires with no tread... old cracked rubber from weather cracking.. cheap tires with thin side walls and tread surfaces... it all plays into resistance to puncturing. Basically if you purchase bargain basement tires, or drive around with bald tires, or 12yr old tires, yea, you better load up a spare.

I wouldn't waste my time with the tire mobility kit unless it was the only option. I have such a thing as a cell phone and would call for service/friend long before I would ruin my tire, ruin my TPMS sensor, and make a huge mess out of the inside of the rim.

And no, I wouldn't waste the very limited cargo room in my car with a full size tire. A compact one, sure, there is a actual spot for it.

Sorry I made you sad by disagreeing with you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts