Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... Please be mindful of the left lane and what it's supposed to be used for. I tend to see a fair share of Soul drivers nesting in the far left lane of traffic just oblivious and inconsiderate of other drivers. As a fellow Soul driver, I find it to be a bit embarrassing. I know some people like to think of themselves as the official pace car of traffic, but lets not be "that guy". I know how irritating it can be to have a car riding your bumper, but if it's safe to do so, go ahead and move to the right lane. We don't know what kind of emergency, if any, the car behind us is in. For all we know, he/she could be driving to the local hospital after hearing that a loved one was in an accident. Do we want to be the person that robbed them of saying goodbye to a loved one? Not to mention that it's pretty infuriating when traffic is backed up because someone in the left lane has decided to bottleneck traffic. Left Lane Drivers Unite! is a good resource. /Public Service Announcement

·
Registered
842 Posts
It's frustrating. I drove 1200 miles on business this week and I swear more and more people just like to hang out in the left lane. To be honest I wish I had rocket launchers like 007 on my cars..

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
That's funny TXS because that subject came up on The Straight Pipes today. The left lane stuff comes up about 10:40 in

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's frustrating. I drove 1200 miles on business this week and I swear more and more people just like to hang out in the left lane. To be honest I wish I had rocket launchers like 007 on my cars..

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I'd like a large spatula that can just slide under offending cars and just flip them aside like a pancake.

Some of the images on that website are kind of funny

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
Those are great TXS! Up in Washington, even on 4 lane freeways people get in the fast (left) lane & camp there.

Years ago my mom was driving & popped over there, proceeded to set the cruise control 5 miles under the speed limit. When I asked her if she was aware of what she was doing, she said let them eat dirt. My dad was the same, even putting a smart ass bumper sticker on his truck that said "What? Me hurry."

It drove me nuts. It was some type of entitlement thing. In some weird way I think it's a power move by someone who lacks any. Similar to some very able bodied people who walk extra slow in a crosswalk so cars can't make a turn before the light turns.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
A lot of them have the mindset, I'm doing the speed limit so are you like or not. Although I have seen some crazy people get in front of the offender then jump on the binders after they have passed the left lane hogger, this is just plain stupid and dangerous.

Pat

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are great TXS! Up in Washington, even on 4 lane freeways people get in the fast (left) lane & camp there.

Years ago my mom was driving & popped over there, proceeded to set the cruise control 5 miles under the speed limit. When I asked her if she was aware of what she was doing, she said let them eat dirt. My dad was the same, even putting a smart ass bumper sticker on his truck that said "What? Me hurry."

It drove me nuts. It was some type of entitlement thing. In some weird way I think it's a power move by someone who lacks any. Similar to some very able bodied people who walk extra slow in a crosswalk so cars can't make a turn before the light turns.
You might be right about that power move. Although, I was also thinking about the kind of people I generally see coasting in the left lane, and a lot of them look like people that maybe aren't in a hurry to get home. My guess is that their family must really beat them down, so cruising slow in the left lane may be their way of extending their peace. I personally don't like the idea of taking any longer on the road than I have to (unless I'm in Uber-mode, in which case I'm paid for my time :lol: ) Oh well, one of these days driving enthusiasts will unite, we'll donate to some air-time during the Super Bowl, and we can broadcast our message.... at least that's my ultimate dream. Then again, I suspect some of the biggest left lane offenders aren't watching the Super Bowl.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I commuute from one side of Denver clear to the other side of town every single day on both I70 and I25, both fricking nuts with amazingly bad drivers. There are times when the left lane is literally going 80-85 miles an hour. Get in the way of that, and risk life and limb. Yes, every single day, we deal with the multitude that insist the left lane is their personal lane. In Co. there is a minimum speed for the left lane, and the police enforce it. Clogging traffic is a ticket-able offense. And believe me, we have some offensive drivers here... hehehehe...

Something I deal with daily. At least it's not Soul's that are the problem.. It is usually a woman driver in a big SUV. Honestly... and I'm not trying to be the 'bad lady drivers' guy, but it is what it is, that's what I see every single day. That and the Trucker that decides it's too much hassle in the other lanes and the heck with you little tarts, hehehehe. Then I burn around them first opportunity and go on with my life.

Truly, patience is the key, or I'd make myself crazy with road rage... :)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I commuute from one side of Denver clear to the other side of town every single day on both I70 and I25, both fricking nuts with amazingly bad drivers. There are times when the left lane is literally going 80-85 miles an hour. Get in the way of that, and risk life and limb. Yes, every single day, we deal with the multitude that insist the left lane is their personal lane. In Co. there is a minimum speed for the left lane, and the police enforce it. Clogging traffic is a ticket-able offense. And believe me, we have some offensive drivers here... hehehehe...

Something I deal with daily. At least it's not Soul's that are the problem.. It is usually a woman driver in a big SUV. Honestly... and I'm not trying to be the 'bad lady drivers' guy, but it is what it is, that's what I see every single day. That and the Trucker that decides it's too much hassle in the other lanes and the heck with you little tarts, hehehehe. Then I burn around them first opportunity and go on with my life.

Truly, patience is the key, or I'd make myself crazy with road rage... :)

In the Dallas/Fort Worth area, some of our largest highways don't allow trucks in the left lane. It's mostly the 10-12 lane highways that don't allow trucks in the left lane, and with good reason. An 18-wheeler shouldn't be going faster than other traffic as it takes longer for them to speed up (in bumper to bumper traffic) and it takes longer for them to slow down. What amazes me is how many inconsiderate truck drivers I see in the left lane clogging the flow of traffic.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That and the Trucker that decides it's too much hassle in the other lanes and the heck with you little tarts, hehehehe.
As someone who is both a soul owner and a truck driver, I can tell you that 90% of those truckers you're complaining about here changed lanes to pass someone who was doing under the speed limit for no apparent reason and then got "trapped" in the left lane by people passing him on the right before he can confirm he's got clearance to get back over safely. You've got to remember, when that driver looks in his passenger side mirror he's looking at an object that's a minimum of 60 feet away, if it's even with the back of his trailer, at that distance it's really hard to tell if you've got 2 inches of clearance, or 2 feet of it, and a responsible trucker won't change lanes unless he's sure he's got safe clearance. While little four wheelers love to whip around us with only inches of clearance. And since the tone of your comment about truckers is so disrespectful to them, I'll remind you that absolutely everything you own, even your house, spent time on a truck, so without those truckers you like to "burn around" you'd be hungry, homeless, and naked. And as for the people in the left lane doing 80-85, that's pretty normal seeing as when I left Colorado for Pennsylvania 11 years ago the speed limit on the roads you mentioned was 75.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As someone who is both a soul owner and a truck driver, I can tell you that 90% of those truckers you're complaining about here changed lanes to pass someone who was doing under the speed limit for no apparent reason and then got "trapped" in the left lane by people passing him on the right before he can confirm he's got clearance to get back over safely. You've got to remember, when that driver looks in his passenger side mirror he's looking at an object that's a minimum of 60 feet away, if it's even with the back of his trailer, at that distance it's really hard to tell if you've got 2 inches of clearance, or 2 feet of it, and a responsible trucker won't change lanes unless he's sure he's got safe clearance. While little four wheelers love to whip around us with only inches of clearance. And since the tone of your comment about truckers is so disrespectful to them, I'll remind you that absolutely everything you own, even your house, spent time on a truck, so without those truckers you like to "burn around" you'd be hungry, homeless, and naked. And as for the people in the left lane doing 80-85, that's pretty normal seeing as when I left Colorado for Pennsylvania 11 years ago the speed limit on the roads you mentioned was 75.
You're displaying the "god complex" that I've heard many people say truck drivers get from getting behind the wheel of their trucks. I'd be perfectly fine with driving to my local train station to pick up my goods and services.

And, you just justified why trucks shouldn't be in the left lane. If they can't merge back from the left lane "safely" (your words) then maybe they shouldn't use the left lane?

·
Registered
21 Posts
How many hours and miles of training did you have to complete to get your driver's license? A CDL requires multiple weeks of training before you're allowed behind the wheel, then the DOT requires 30,000 miles of mentoring before you're allowed to drive solo. As for trains, you cool with all the train tracks that would have to be laid to get raw materials to factories? Then goods from factories to distribution centers, then finally from distribution centers to stores? You think being stuck behind a truck who's being kept in the left lane by inconsiderate drivers like yourself is bad, wait until you have to wait on trains to make deliveries to every store in the country, you'll be sitting at RR crossings for hours at a time. And seeing as the Eisenhower interstate system was designed to be used by commercial and government vehicles, not civilian vehicles, trucks have more of a right to be in the left lane than you do. And if you bother to actually read what I wrote, you'd see that I did not justify why trucks shouldn't be in the left lane, but explained why you four wheelers need to have some patience. Just because you feel comfortable cutting people off with only inches of clearance doesn't mean that's the correct way to drive nor is it something you should be demanding of truck drivers.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Way too many inconsiderate drivers, or are they just Stupid ?

My big Pevee is lack of Turn Signals

View attachment 117113
Or the people that are so oblivious that they turn on their turn signal as soon as they're making the turn, not realizing that the turn signal is to SIGNAL to drivers behind them that they're turning. Common sense is definitely a rarity.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How many hours and miles of training did you have to complete to get your driver's license? A CDL requires multiple weeks of training before you're allowed behind the wheel, then the DOT requires 30,000 miles of mentoring before you're allowed to drive solo. As for trains, you cool with all the train tracks that would have to be laid to get raw materials to factories? Then goods from factories to distribution centers, then finally from distribution centers to stores? You think being stuck behind a truck who's being kept in the left lane by inconsiderate drivers like yourself is bad, wait until you have to wait on trains to make deliveries to every store in the country, you'll be sitting at RR crossings for hours at a time. And seeing as the Eisenhower interstate system was designed to be used by commercial and government vehicles, not civilian vehicles, trucks have more of a right to be in the left lane than you do. And if you bother to actually read what I wrote, you'd see that I did not justify why trucks shouldn't be in the left lane, but explained why you four wheelers need to have some patience. Just because you feel comfortable cutting people off with only inches of clearance doesn't mean that's the correct way to drive nor is it something you should be demanding of truck drivers.

I pointed out that you said it required more effort for truck drivers to get out of the left lane, which means they probably shouldn't be in that lane in the first place. Too many truck drivers drive their trucks like it's a sports car. There's no way such a large vehicle should be traveling faster than the flow of traffic in the first place, as it takes more time for those things to stop. You're starting to sound like one of those truck drivers that thinks driving a big truck makes you immune to the common courtesy required for driving a larger vehicle. That makes you more dangerous than anyone on 4-wheels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
No, those drivers that run their trucks like four wheelers anger me more than anything else because they should know better. My point is that there are times when a truck needs to pass what's in the right lane, like when encountering the idiot who thinks doing 55 in a 65 is a good idea, like when encountering another truck that can't climb a hill as well, like when encountering a truck that's governed at a lower speed. You seem to be arguing for why you shouldn't have to show patience and respect to other drivers by allowing them the clearance they need to drive safely. Which of course is the sort of behavior that tends to cause truckers to drive like four wheelers, the old "if you're gonna cut me off, I'll just cut you off first" mentality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You know what will happen if trucks never, ever leave the right lane? You're going to wind up with an endless line of slow moving traffic in the right lane, everyone going no faster than the slowest person on the road. There will be backups on off ramps because of there being no opening in such slow moving traffic for new vehicles to merge into. Traffic in the right lane will be doing 45 or less, while traffic in the left lane will be doing 65 and faster, which will lead to wrecks as four wheelers who just got on the road try to get out of the line of trucks, who by your edict have been banned from the left lane, get smashed by traffic going much faster than they are. And all because you'd rather demand that trucks not use the left lane at all than allow them to get a full car length ahead of the vehicle they're passing before you cut them off and pass on the right because you just can't be bothered with showing a little patience and courtesy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts