Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wearing my little clicker off I have only seen three pictures of Souls towing. One is towing a teardrop camper of about 2,000 pounds. Another is of a popup camper that might be about the same weight. the last was a homemade trailer of unknown weight. Do people just not tow or is it not good to show and talk about towing information here? Maybe because of warranty reasons or something.

I am thinking of installing a hitch and pulling a camper of some kind and wanted information of what is best to do. Any information out there?

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
If you go to YouTube, and search on Kia Soul Towing there are lots of videos about that. There are also many theads on towing but may be imbedded in other threads and may be hard to find. However, i just searched on the word "towing" and got all kinds of hits.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you go to YouTube, and search on Kia Soul Towing there are lots of videos about that. There are also many theads on towing but may be imbedded in other threads and may be hard to find. However, i just searched on the word "towing" and got all kinds of hits.
I just did a search using Google Custom Search box above and got nothing.

I have seen YouTube and got information there but it seemed here, Soul-ville, would have something more on the subject.

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I'll just use the other car to tow with. I know it will handle up to about 9,000# without problem.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just did the same thing using "towing" and got all kinds of hits. Strange that the forum gives us different results.
I did use The Google Custom Search at the top of the page. I did just now see another Google Search Box to the right and will try that one. Maybe that will make a difference.

OK!!!

I think I see what happens. Google links on the site have different functions. At the top of the page I see one Google for "Generation 1 (2010 to 2013) Soul related - Soul General Discussion (Gen 1)" And the Google "Custom Search" box. That Google gave me nothing for Towing.

To the right of the page but below the "Custom Search" there is another Google Search but it says it is a "Advanced Search". That Google Search did give lots of links about Towing from local towing companies to Kia Soul Forum links. Much better.

Thanks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I dont get a Google search box on the main page only the Advance Search option. Google searches are only possible in the sub forums for me.

Using the Google Search box, I often have to refresh the page after it has done loading with no results to actually see the results. I get lots of results for 'towing trailers'.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, after all the BS I have a decision. I will not use the Soul to tow. For several reasons it is not best for towing in America and my towing needs.

1 - The Kia Soul, if using actual numbers to calculate towing capacities, is "safely" qualified for pulling a thousand pounds, or so. Nothing as much as I would need. Even if I do go by European, or other country's, specs it is not capable to pulling the weight I would want and the speeds I would want.

2 - Looking at the towing conditions in other countries that Kia does allow towing they have more restrictions on drivers than here in America. Like in The UK, for example, I think the speeds are kept lower to maintain control of the combination of vehicle and trailer. That is why drivers in The UK cuss little cars pulling anything while clogging the roads. On the other hand, in The USA, we can buy anything, move onto any road and drive like we own the pavement and The Devil take my life, and yours. In other words other countries will condemn citizens before they may harm others, but in America our government will wait until we have done damage and killed others before we are restricted.

3 - The actual condition of the vehicle for towing is not up to parr. Quality is lacking. I could not see saving money on cheap transportation, which does indicate quality of parts, and then try to use it like a much heavier duty vehicle. I could not see myself buying a Soul for good mileage, comfort and good looks and then treat it like a ex-wife when it is not that more expensive to buy a vehicle rated to do what I want to do. Not just rated on paper but rated by quality of parts. When Kia has a motor that is so closely rated that specs restrict the size of spare tire, or lack of.

4 - In the end common sense must take control. Like Uncle Carl use to say, when buying something for a reason, stick to the reason and do not let the color of the candy fill your eye. In other words, The Kia Soul is a nice looking car but it is not a nice looking tow vehicle, regardless of how many people may do so. Their choice will not protect me when entering a intersection and brakes fail me.

I do realize many people do tow smaller loads and that is great, for them, but it is not for me. I do have a tow vehicle that is rated to tow about 9,000 pounds so there is no need to destroy, or take a chance to destroy, a vehicle we enjoy driving around for short trips.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my search and choice.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont get a Google search box on the main page only the Advance Search option. Google searches are only possible in the sub forums for me.

Using the Google Search box, I often have to refresh the page after it has done loading with no results to actually see the results. I get lots of results for 'towing trailers'.
I did not say I was on The Main Page when I saw the two Search Boxes. In fact I did say I was on a different page, such as this one. Thanks for reading but I finally figured out that some pages do have two Google Search Boxes and they serve different functions.

Thank You.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well enough said then since you have another tow vehicle. I have a tow hitch installed on my 2010, manual trans, for my boat and a smaller trailer. It pulls fine and I would never run full blast towing anything anyway.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I heard that The UK would allow Soul towing but then checking the UK laws they are different here. Being able to tow a fishing boat, if that is what you have, is not the same as pulling a 2,000# camper. Not everyone has the same common sense that you display by going slow. Stay safe!

·
Registered
71 Posts
When I heard that The UK would allow Soul towing but then checking the UK laws they are different here. Being able to tow a fishing boat, if that is what you have, is not the same as pulling a 2,000# camper. Not everyone has the same common sense that you display by going slow. Stay safe!
Well honestly I wouldn't use my Soul to tow anything in south Florida, folks on I-75 will straight up run you over. As one of the most dangerous highways in America, I would rather drive the Autobahn in Germany. Be safe and good luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well honestly I wouldn't use my Soul to tow anything in south Florida, folks on I-75 will straight up run you over. As one of the most dangerous highways in America, I would rather drive the Autobahn in Germany. Be safe and good luck.
I do see people on any Interstate in Florida and many other side roads that will run you over going slower than they like. My Soul does move fast enough "unloaded" but I wondered how it would do speeding at 70 plus miles per hour. Not safe.

I had a 26' camper behind my Expedition, with cruse control set at 75, according to the TomTom, and people zoomed by me like I was backing up. Maybe it has something to with these long straight roads, or something.

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
424 Posts
I would have thought that with the short wheelbase and light weight the Soul would not be very good for towing anything bigger than a shopping cart.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
I've posted to at least a half dozen threads on the subject of towing and I would have thought that something would have found its way in here. NO?

Here's some thoughts on the subject.

CamperTow.jpg From the corn field in the background, I'd think maybe this pic was taken in Iowa, or some other mid-west location. I can tell that it's a Gen-1 Soul, but I've no idea whether it's a 1.6L or 2.0L engine.

towcar2010_250.jpg This was taken in England, where the Soul won an acclaim for being an excellent tow-car. That soul was a 1.6L Diesel.

My little 1.6L engine puts out 110 ft/lb of torque on a Dyno Jet and it will pull just about anything I hook it up with.

The largest movable object that I ever pulled with my Soul was a 35', two axle, mobile home frame, that I moved several miles over sand roads, for a friend of mine.
Had I not hitched it up myself, I'd of never known it was even there. My Soul had no problems with it at all. I just set the range selector (gear shift) for second gear and away we went.

Happy Trails to you!

FL Hamster :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pics. I did see them onine. When looking at European travel trailers I see the weight more evenly distributed. The axles are placed more central to the body of the unit. Both look to be European to me. But I've been wrong before.

When looking at the laws for pulling in The UK there are more laws than in the States. Just getting a license to tow is a pain, and it does need a special license to tow. Road regulations are restricting and fines/punishment can put you out of business. The Soul got a good rating towing in The UK (the second picture you showed) but I think that was with the diesel engine so not the same we have here.

As Moonlight said about towing her cargo camper with 1060# behind her driving about 60MPH was hard to do. That looks to be easier for her to do than either of those pics. She has a "v"nose trailer and they had blunt nose on their bricks. The Soul may have been given a good review for towing but in America they are not rated to tow. Think it is because of insurance. lawsuits, or other non-tow related issue but they are not rated to tow. If only one reason is reasonable then maybe not towing is a good idea.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
A long time ago, when I was just a kid, My second car was a 1949 Jeep Overland Stationwagon. It has a strong little four banger Hurricane engine. Had many good days driving that car until my buddy, John, and I got the big idea to go into the moving business. The Jeep had a tow ball on it so everything was set to go. We made fliers to get some business and our first job was to move furniture from a two bedroom house. We rented a 8 by 12 cargo trailer, loaded it to the top and away we went. What did we know about tow ratings, nothing. I first put the car in gear and away we went, even if slowly. Then we got on the four lane road with the 45MPH Speed Limit. That got more interesting. I did the speed limit until a big truck passed and we went squirrely. I could do nothing but hold on until it straightened out and my ass let go of the seat. We finally got to the turn off to more side streets and a few blocks to the house to unload. That is when I smelled my first smell of burned clutch. That never crossed my mind. So after unloading and returning the cargo trailer we decided that we were not cut out to be movers. That was hard work. That is when I learned a valuable lesson. Mechanical equipment has limits but then my Dad said "fix it". I got some money from all my side jobs and went to the first mechanic in my life. He was a strange dude, lived in a travel trailer under tarps and surrounded by so many bushes you could not see the "house" but my Dad said he was the best. We pulled up he went to work. Days later we had a rebuilt motor that was "guaranteed" to not run out of oil as it had from all the straining and a new clutch. The Jeep ran like new and it was only $400. We had made $100 moving furniture and my $275 from cutting grass and Dad gave me the rest. This lesson is why I am more careful about what I tow and what I tow it with.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts