Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Soul for about a several weeks now and I have finally decided... I hate traction control :mad:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Huh?:confused:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never had it on any of my cars before and I feel that I'm not in control.
1982 Celica GT (RWD)
1991 Civic SI (FWD)
2000 Impreza 2.5RS (AWD)

I have a better understanding of what the car will do without the traction control and I can predict it/the response based on my inputs. When there is traction control I don't know what the car will do. If I want to slip or slide around a corner I don't want the traction control to try and help when I don't want its help.

When the tires slip the ABS comes on to stop them slipping and it modulates the breaks. The computer takes control away from the driver (me). The traction control comes on without my approval and it bothers me because it affects the behavior of the car. Even with it turn it off it really isn't totally off.

Right now it has taken some of the fun away from my driving. I can't even do a burn out without the traction control trying to take over.

Maybe with time I will get use to it and/or appreciate it.

I still love my Soul :D ...Just not traction control :p

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have yet to see that little car and the wiggly lines show. I'm beginning to think it doesn't work. I guess I haven't been reckless enough on the wet roads to see it come on.

Can't you hit that button and turn it off?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Right now it has taken some of the fun away from my driving. I can't even do a burn out without the traction control trying to take over.

Maybe with time I will get use to it and/or appreciate it.

I still love my Soul :D ...Just not traction control :p
I hope your only leaving this type of driving for the racetrack .... if your doing it on public streets then thats part of the reason why i love traction control ......... keeps the moron drivers safer ...

just my 0.02

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree

I agree with you on that, who the hell buys a Soul to sport around in anyway? Hardly the platform I would choose if my goal was sliding around corners and doing burnouts?????

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with you on that, who the hell buys a Soul to sport around in anyway? Hardly the platform I would choose if my goal was sliding around corners and doing burnouts?????
there's a first for everything. i've read rumors of a turbo kit for this rig as well. now, if it happens or not...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I was somewhat perplexed when I first read this posting....but when I realized your location I understood completely...I've driven around and through Quebec & Montreal several times in my life so I completely understand...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see the traction control come on almost every day.

My side street connects to one of the main arteries in Gatineau. In rush hour, I have to go from a total stop to 80km/hr in just a few feet or risk getting into an accident. Any gravel or rain and it makes the acceleration tough with traction control.

I would rather control and feather the throttle then let traction control take over, but it is tough. In addition, I have friends who live outside of city limits and it is fun to be a little reckless on the back roads after a rain. ... And I'm not talking about drifting around corners either.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I can see your point but the car is made more for point a to point b drivers so TC is a big plus for those that don't know how to properly control a car when things get slippy. Just a grab a cheap fox body and have some real fun in the rain :).

·
Registered
108 Posts
the stability control actually work pretty well. next time u are getting on the highway in a cloverleaf just gas it hard till the fronts start to break loose u can def tell it is working then.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I never seen the TC icon during driving (except when I was playing with LED brake lights...but fixed that problem with load resistors)

I have played with this little Molten Sport a little, but it's 2.0 and slushbox isn't gonna make anyone giddy at a track. San Diego doesn't do snow....we hardly even get rain to "slip" on. If the traction control ONLY comes on to pull my wide ass out of a fire someday because of a texting idiot, it will have been WELL worth it. Until then......I have not seen much from it when turning the overdrive off and doing some apex turns in "D2". This is likely the worse treatment my little Soul will see in it's lifetime barring some catastrophe.

The "ESP off" used to always light when going through "twisties" going up to Julian in my 2005 Sportage. That was somewhat unnerving......that the Stability Program would pack up and go....when you sorta WANT it....simply because it didn't like a reading from a yaw sensor or something.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can see your point but the car is made more for point a to point b drivers so TC is a big plus for those that don't know how to properly control a car when things get slippy. Just a grab a cheap fox body and have some real fun in the rain :).
I agree and I agree with patmanz28's comment also.

I bought my Soul as a commuter car not as my sporty car. I'm just dissapointed that the traction control has taken some of the fun (more than I anticipated) out of a really fun car.

No regrets.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I can turn my TC off... there's a little button for it and all...

Why not try that if you're so intent?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I can turn my TC off... there's a little button for it and all...

Why not try that if you're so intent?
I do turn it off when I need to launch but the TC doesn't turn off totally.

While playing around I found that with enough wheel spin or slip the traction control safe guards will still take over.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Seems to defeat the purpose of TC being off... huh.
Well, good to know at least.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I have never had it before this car, and I had to shut it off for a few days because I didn't like how it felt in the rain - it was too hard getting used to a new car AND having it feel like it is taking control. Now I am used to it and leave it on all of the time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts