Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2014 Soul would be my PERFECT new car, with one teeny exception -- and it's a showstopper! I love having a sunroof in my car. Powered is OK. Pop-up isn't out of the question either. But take a 2014 Soul "+" and try to add a sunroof option -- and you've entered the Twilight Zone! You're mandated to accept every package in existence and, 5 grand later, you can have a sunroof. Oh, by the way, it's not a good old-fashioned sunroof. The whole roof is cut off and replaced with glass! And if you don't want the sun on your head, you can roll a window shade across it to block the sun!! Are you kidding me? What are the odds that this contraption will still be working when the warranty runs out?? Why can't Kia offer just one more option -- a simple 2013-style built-in sunroof as an available "add-on" for a reasonable price?? One other choice detail! When you try to "build your Soul" on the website, some of the vehicle color choices won't even let you add the packages that include the sunroof (i.e., they tell you that you need to choose another color for your car!!!). Unbelievable!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree , its like take this block or you don't get the rest. But maybe if you talk to a dealer go get one of their books high lite what u want you can special order it your way like the old days.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
I did not care for the sun roof option either, nor the things that went with it. However, there are many members here that opted to get it and believe it is fantastic. I just did not get the sunroof package on mine and I am fine with that. You can do the same thing if you want. It would be nice if you could order a custom set of options from the factory but you cannot. It seems to be an all or nothing selection. But you can get a nicely equipped car in the Plus model with some option packages there or go for the basic Exclaim.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I really liked the Soul's new sunroof style, but couldn't afford the additional 5k to have it :/
The window itself is like 3k, but then you have to get the speakers, etc....

I was disappointed, and wished for the same too. Just a standalone sunroof feature with no other shindigs.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I bought the 2014 Exclaim with the Whole Shebang package to get the ventilated leather seats and the sound system. I could have done without the sunroof since here in Phoenix it may be used twice a year in December or January when its not 100+ degrees outside and the sun beating straight down on the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Why can't they offer it? Because they're in the business of selling cars. Hardly anyone lets you special order the individual options you want, no matter what manufacturer. Car makers have always used options as a way of upselling other features.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Henry Ford had it right............"Any colour you want as long as it's Black". That was the whole concept of mass production in its infancy. Repeat conformity to a given design leads to easy production.

Then as cars progressed the high-end automobiles could be ordered with custom bodywork from coach-builders and gradually this desire for personalizing your car filtered down to lesser automobiles and there were options available from the manufacturer.

The global car market now is so huge and truly GLOBAL that manufacturers have to build cars specific to certain regulations within a specific country, so straight away there are differences car to car. The 2014 Soul Redzone in the US gets certain details in it that the Canadian version (Soul SE) doesn't, yet the Canadian car gets a red roof that the US one doesn't. What's up with that? Maybe it was because Canadians were frothing at the mouth over the Track'ster and anyway, it's our flag's colours eh?

So manufacturers "bundle" certain options because if every customer could order "A little bit of this, a little bit of that" the variations in build of their cars would be virtually infinite and the cost to produce each one higher because of the lack of uniformity. EVERY car would have to be specially ordered and take probably months to arrive which flies in the face of the instant gratification world we live in now. People don't want to wait, so the only way a manufacturer can counter that is to produce a range of trims and then have quickie bolt-ons that can be done at the port of entry. Dealers can then stock other accessory items that can further personalize to a specific purchaser's requirements.

So blame society for the situation. If we were all a bit more patient, you might be able to specific order options, but you would almost certainly find that cars overall would end up costing a lot more because of increased production costs.

HOWEVER............I do agree that the Panoramic sunroof is such a high cost option that it ought to be available as a stand-alone option. But then the stuff that goes with it in the bundle now is going to have to get bundled with something else right?:crushed:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Others have tried the "full length" sunroof only to bag it after a year or so.
The only thing good about it is the look of the black roof.
This also looks good on the Optima.
But,a 5k option---forget it.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
I agree , its like take this block or you don't get the rest. But maybe if you talk to a dealer go get one of their books high lite what u want you can special order it your way like the old days.
You've been out of the loop for a long time, no manufacturer offers this any more (unless perhaps Rolls Royce, Bentley, etc) you have to work within the parameters (packages) of what is offered for that specific model. For example on the Soul, the + and ! (or EX and SX in Canada), do not offer a manual transmission, therefore you cannot special order one of these models with it in - it simply won't happen.

Just go to Ford, Chev, etc website and try to get a item (specific colour or feature) from their higher model and put it in the lower - it simply won't happen. The days of building it exactly the way you want it are long gone.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
The 2014 Soul would be my PERFECT new car, with one teeny exception -- and it's a showstopper! I love having a sunroof in my car. Powered is OK. Pop-up isn't out of the question either. But take a 2014 Soul "+" and try to add a sunroof option -- and you've entered the Twilight Zone! You're mandated to accept every package in existence and, 5 grand later, you can have a sunroof. Oh, by the way, it's not a good old-fashioned sunroof. The whole roof is cut off and replaced with glass! And if you don't want the sun on your head, you can roll a window shade across it to block the sun!! Are you kidding me? What are the odds that this contraption will still be working when the warranty runs out?? Why can't Kia offer just one more option -- a simple 2013-style built-in sunroof as an available "add-on" for a reasonable price?? One other choice detail! When you try to "build your Soul" on the website, some of the vehicle color choices won't even let you add the packages that include the sunroof (i.e., they tell you that you need to choose another color for your car!!!). Unbelievable!!
You could simply get the base + and get an after-market sunroof installed - would be far cheaper.

Some Kia models offer the panoramic sunroof as a stand-alone option (but still has to be added to a certain model level), like the Optima for example where its $1400 (CDN MSRP) option. Some of the lower models like the Rio and Forte still offer the standard conventional sunroof which is a $1000 (CDN MSRP) extra. That is what I have in my 2012 model, but it was still part of an overall model (we don't do packages in Canada - just various models).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seems like everything you post is negative. Why?

The sunroof is not a 5k option, you get a lot of other features with it.

I'm curious to know why it's such a terrible feature? You don't like sun?

·
Registered
203 Posts
This kind of makes me wonder HOW my 2011 Exclaim came into existence. In 2011 the heated leather seats, color matched bumpers and push button start were part of the Premium Package right? My 2011 had the heated leather seats and color matched bumpers...but no push button start. How did it miss getting that installed hmmm?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
You should title your post "I hate all the options required to get the sunroof" The actual sunroof is awesome. You are missing out by not getting one. Go for the Whole Shabang package - you won't regret it.

Reactions: Kano

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The Sun & Sound Package is only 2600 more on the !. The Primo Plus you are getting leather and a pretty fully loaded vehicle. Most people who drive the base buy cause it is super cheap, not for the high end options. (Base comes much better equipped than many cars-decent bang for your buck...)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a Plus w/ Primo package and got it simply because I wanted the sunroof - I love it! Do I have it open all the time? - No. Some days when it's partly cloudy, I just drive with the shade open, feels like I'm in an even bigger vehicle. Others, I open it up and it's awesome. I had a 1990 Celica after college with a 'regular' sunroof, the one on the Soul is waaaayyyy better!

BTW - If you go to the dealer, they do have Plus w/ Primo in the other colors. My dealer had a brown, green, and yellow Plus w/ Primo, all black leather, instead of the two-tone. According to the website, those don't exist, but they do... I have seen them!

·
Registered
966 Posts
Hardly anyone lets you special order the individual options you want, no matter what manufacturer.
When I was buy a Ford Ranger in the last half of 1987. They couldn't find a truck in California in their computer that had the trim level just above the basic no options (this next trim level included power steering & power breaks) and adding only AC and the cassette radio stereo. I wouldn't buy won where I had to purchase any other options. We ended up ordering straight from the factory in Minneapolis in a 1988 model (which got me a free rear bumper, then normally an option in pick-ups).

You could do it fairly easily on domestic made cars back then.

But those imports you get stuck picking from what's on the boat.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of your thoughtful comments after my “rant” about the panoramic sunroof. For those of you with the panoramic sunroof today, maybe you can help to alleviate some of my concerns. First question: Do you feel that the retracting sunshade is robust enough to last for many years without sagging? Based on a quick look at it, I was worried that a “rolling window shade” wasn’t a good choice for installation in a vehicle subject to road vibrations, heat, and cold over many years. Also, I wasn’t convinced that it would keep the heat out in the summer and keep the cold out in the winter. Second question: Since I am not a fan of over-tech’ing automobiles, I don’t really like big video screens, built-in navigation, etc. Is there a way to turn off the video screen? And does it stay off, or do I need to turn it off again and again? Thanks again for your help on this.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts