Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I think your expectations are a little high on a near 10 year old car. My pinch welds look like that. Going up on a lift can cause that if they’re not careful. I have straightened them out with a pair of pliers and sprayed some paint on them.

But the surface rust on the exterior would be a concern if it isn’t repaired properly, especially in this climate because it will get worse. The seat mount rust isn’t an issue. Hatchback seal can be replaced. The last pic looks like some foam sticking out?

The exterior rust issues would make this a pass if I was looking for a car to keep for some time.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
$10k for a 2013? I know the market sucks but that seems ridiculous.
It’s crazy. A Chevy dealer nearby had a 2019 Base with over 100k and was asking almost as much as it sold for new. $15,998. 😬

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Looks like the rear cross member might be rusting too. Did you look under the car?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Yes, the foam is the weather stripping inside the vehicle, the surface rust is concerning, they claim to offer to “treat” it, and it should “be good for about five years before getting worse”…

my resistance to taking a chance on that salvage title ‘16 loaded model is weakening…
(Sorry for posting a second gen in the first gen forums ;) )
My 2011 Soul is rusting on the rear above the wheel and down to by the rear door, similar to one of the pics and I’ve “treated” it twice and thought I finally fixed it but it’s coming back again. Not gonna have a shop fix it because it will be $1,000s and it’s not worth the money. The cars getting old and the primary driver has trashed the interior, so I only want to get it to last a few more years till car prices come back down to earth. So I’ll go back out there and sand it to metal again, treat the rust and repaint it after the pollen season is over. Maybe get another year out of the “fix” who knows.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That car looks like it was around beach area for a long time since rust under the car, etc.
You must not be from the salt belt. That’s a typical looking underbody for a car in this climate with the road salt in the winter. Some look way worse.

Reactions: Tampaesk8er

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The rest of the vehicle will stop working before anything rusts through. I had a Nissan Pathfinder manufactured in September of 1994. It came from Illinois. I gave it to a friend and she is still driving it.
A mid 90s Nissan truck from Illinois that’s not rotted out? I don’t believe it. They all turned to dust by now in my area. You must have been on top of yearly underbody treatments, like with fluid film, because I had a similar year Nissan pickup truck and by the time I bought it in 2000ish the frame was already starting to rot away here in the north east. That era Nissan and Toyota truck would rot away overnight if you left a fast food salt packet on the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts