Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 base manual. It has the "hill holder" feature built in.

Usually if I'm stopped, I throw it into neutral so I don't have to sit there holding the clutch pedal in, which saves some wear on the clutch system and the thrust bearing. Occasionally, however, I'll forget, or it's only a momentary stop, and I have it in first gear. When that happens, I sometimes end up stalling the car because the car holds the brakes too long and this car is not built for that kind of low-end non-moving torque, like a pickup. I've driven manuals all my life, and I don't need the car to keep me from rolling back - I can get started plenty fast enough without it, and if I was on something severe I can use the emergency brake method.

So the question is: can it be turned off? I'm going to search my manual, but I figured you all might know. The owner's manual didn't tell me any way to do it.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
How do we find out if we have it?

The manual says "if equipped" and references automatic transmissions so that doesn't rule it out on autos.

I never realized how it worked till just now.... "holds the braking pressure builtup by driver during the stopping procedure for 2 seconds after releasing the brake pedal. During the pressure-hold period, the driver has enough time to press the accelerator pedal to drive off."

So, I should be able to tell if I stop at a light and then let off the pedal and see if it rolls. I am thinking I do not have HAC because I can't ever remember not being able to creep ahead at a stop light.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think if you turn off ESC that will disable it.

I think the feature is available on all 2012/13 models. It only kicks in when it detects the car is stopped on an incline. When it kicks in the car doesn't move when you lift your foot off the break, which is a bit off putting.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Mine does this but I never knew what it was.

We have a shop that has a really steep driveway and when leaving if you stop for a moment and then let off the gas the car won't move then a couple seconds later you hear a click and the car will roll backwards. I tested it a few times. I don't see a light on or anything but I'm assuming it has it even on the Autos. At least on the exclaim

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
HAC (hill assist control) is standard on all Canadian 2012 and 2013 Soul's and also for the US models (based on the info I have)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts