Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody
I bought a kia soul 2012 base (1.6L) , When the tank gets empty and go to the gas station to buy gas the pump clicks off after dispensing only 9 gallons (three quarters ) Knowing the tank can't possibly be full, it should take 12.7 gallons !! I have to keep working on filling the tank .

the main issue that the car gives around 220 miles for a full tank , it should be more than 320 miles as i know !!

did anyone had the same problem , pls advise

Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
I'm not sure why you can't fill your tank up all the way without doing it yourself...but I can tell you up until I modified my intake and changed my wheel size I only got like 200mpg with a full tank on my 2L, now I finally get the 300 I'm supposed to.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Try only setting the nozle at half. It could be the fuel foaming up and causing the pump to kick off. Slowing it down will help.

If someone was constantly topping it off, the vent system in the tank could be clogged causing problems as well.

You will never put 12.7 gallons in the tank unless you remove it, and drain it. Thats max capacity. Even if you drive the car till it dies from lack of fuel there will still be about 1 gallon in it. I know this because I have ran mine out of fuel before. Also the fuel light turns on before you are empty leaving you a couple gallons to get somewhere and get fuel. Id be suprised if you could even get 11 gallons in it if you were still able to drive it. Thats all mine held after it died and coasted the last block to the fuel station.

Does the gage read full or are you going of the capacity for where full should be? If the gage reads 3/4 you may have a gage issue and its reading 1/4 low all of the time. A bad ground can cause this to happen. If your really gutsy throw in a 5 gal gas can and drive it till it dies. Put in the 5 gal and stop at the nearest filling station to top it off and see how much it held.

On a side note, dont assume the average mpg readout is correct, they seem to be about 2 mpg over what actual is with all of the people I know locally, thats 11 souls 2 of which are mine. All off the same. That would give you about 26 miles less per tank than what you thought you should be getting. Without knowing if its not actually getting full or the gage is off you cant really figure the mileage on paper.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
I'm guessing its not a "fill" issue but more of a "not empty" issue. I'm wondering when your gauge shows empty if there isn't really 3 gallons left in the tank.

I have a friend whose new Ford is actually out of gas when the needle shows 1/4.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It would be almost, humanly, impossible to fill your tank to exactly the same spot, every time.
So the term, "fill" is relative.

But, on my own 1.6, the most fuel I ever put in at one time was 10.002 gallons.
I was afraid that I was just running on fumes, but of course that was not really the case.

My Excel spreadsheet lists every drop of gasoline I've put in Gertrude, since I bought her,
and I'd have to say that my average fillup is usually around 9.?? gallons.

In 32 months, I've only seen the Low Fuel light come on just once.
I prefer that I should never really see that light at all. Eh?

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,602 Posts
It would be almost, humanly, impossible to fill your tank to exactly the same spot, every time.
So the term, "fill" is relative.

But, on my own 1.6, the most fuel I ever put in at one time was 10.002 gallons.
I was afraid that I was just running on fumes, but of course that was not really the case.

My Excel spreadsheet lists every drop of gasoline I've put in Gertrude, since I bought her,
and I'd have to say that my average fillup is usually around 9.?? gallons.

In 32 months, I've only seen the Low Fuel light come on just once.
I prefer that I should never really see that light at all. Eh?

Cheers Mates!
:cool:
Hey Techno, I'm kinda the same way except I discovered that when my low fuel light comes on I have about 3 gallons left, or roughly 84 miles, so I go until the light comes on and fill up on my next trip by the station. The most I ever put in was 13.2 gallons leaving only 1 in the tank.

Isn't it good to not get too low as the gas cools the fuel pump, or is that a myth?

Say hey to Gertrude for me :)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have drove my car to pretty bare bones and I've never been able to put more than just under 11 gallons in it, and that was at a point when the light had been on at least 50 miles. If you are putting 9 gallons of fuel in it and only driving 200 miles before you're on fumes, unless you're idling in traffic something isn't right with either your math or your car.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Hey Techno, I'm kinda the same way except I discovered that when my low fuel light comes on I have about 3 gallons left, or roughly 84 miles, so I go until the light comes on and fill up on my next trip by the station. The most I ever put in was 13.2 gallons leaving only 1 in the tank.

Isn't it good to not get too low as the gas cools the fuel pump, or is that a myth?

Be careful, he may get jealous.

As for the other question, I do suspect that running your tank too low repeatedly will shorten the life of the pump. I start looking for a station when there's about 1/4 tank left. But I don't think the pump's going to explode and die if you run it lower once in a while. They're pretty tough.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did not read all the comments, but I know on my 2013, when the needle is at 1/8 a tank left, there is still more than 2.5 gallons in the tank.

I dont think I have ever put more then 10-10.5 except for the day that the automatic shut off on the pump never clicked and the gas pumped all over the side of my car.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

Fuel pumps don't generate that much heat, so running low on fuel isn't really going to do anything. Running *out* of fuel on a routine basis, on the other hand, is going to be hard on the fuel pump, because running any kind of pump without a prime is hard on the pump. I personally know 2 people who killed the fuel pumps on their car through this very act, one because the gas gauge didn't work and one because they were too lazy (pathetic?) to get gas when it got real low. Could it have been coincidence that the fuel pumps died prematurely on both vehicles? Perhaps, but unlikely. With a good prime and even with higher pressure today, fuel pumps are easily designed to last 200k miles.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Like several others, the most I ever put in my 2013 Soul Base was 10.5 gallons, after the low fuel light had been flashing for a half hour and the fuel gauge was showing below the "E".

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I'm with the others who say it's something in the range of 9+ gallons to fill it. If I get fuel soon after the warning I don't believe I have ever put more than 10 gallons in, closer to 9.x.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
when I was tracking my fuel economy over 49 fill ups, the maximum I every put in was 42.2L (its a 48L tank) and that was shortly after the distance showed --- (so I had gone past my two warnings).

Just in case someone is not aware the 2014< G2 models, they increased the tank size by an additional 6L to 54L

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm in a gen2, so not totally relevant, but I'll add that when my gas warning pops up I average about 11 to 11.5 gallons to fill and my tank is 14 gallons. So, yeah, there's always a few gallons in the tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Running low level of fuel should not do any damage to the pump since the fuel actually flows threw the pump ( around the winding etc... ) I had a old fuel pump from my DSM and i decided to cut it open and it's designed for the fuel to cool the motor.

Now if you run "dry" then there is not liquid to cool the motor and then you will burn up the winding's etc...

Also I drove for about 15-20 miles after the light turned on and i was able to put in 11.5 gallons into the tank. average fill up i do is 9 gallons .

But i had the same problem with my Land Rover . I couldn't even start to fill the tank . I had to hold it at less then half of the nozzle open. Problem got fixed once the gas station replaced the nozzles. On a side note imagine trying to fill 25 gallons holding that damn nozzle at less than half.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts