Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So it looks like a new windshield is in order.
A crack is slowly creeping up my field of vision.
I have full coverage with zero deductible so that is not an issue.
My issues are these.

1-I have never found the factory glass to be particular durable.
I have encountered numerous chips since early on.
Anyone found any glass superior to factory glass.
Will probably go to safelite unless someone has a better idea.

2-I have heard that the "A" pillar plastic trim securing tabs are easily and usually broken when they are removed. (what is the removal process for an undamaged removal of said trim pieces?)
Can anyone shed some light on this.
I'm sure if/when the tech brakes them, he will simply glue them back on with the butyl sealant which is pretty tough stuff when dry.
Trouble is I will never know if he did so until the trim flies off sometime in the distant future when it's too late to complain.
I read somewhere that those trim pieces are considered essential and are covered as part of the glass replacement.
Any enlightenment is "clearly" appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
My son's 2012 was in an accident and the windshield was replaced by the body shop. It is still in place now since Dec 2011. The car is still on the road but it has been beaten up and probably not very well taken care of. I have had other windshields replaced on other cars by Safelite and they have always done a pretty good job.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
Are those broken tab clips replaceable srad?

If so, I'd definitely buy replacements before reusing the damaged ones. I picked up an assortment of plastic car clips from Amazon for about $15 a couple years ago. Saved me a couple times so far.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
I had Safelite replace my windshield years ago with no problems with the A pillar. The glass itself is much more durable than the OEM glass.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Are those broken tab clips replaceable srad?

If so, I'd definitely buy replacements before reusing the damaged ones. I picked up an assortment of plastic car clips from Amazon for about $15 a couple years ago. Saved me a couple times so far.
I "Think" they are built into the back of the trim piece and when they break, they are broken and not replaceable.

Answered my own question here.
Google, as always...is your friend!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMTEQizKhY4

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had Safelite replace my windshield years ago with no problems with the A pillar. The glass itself is much more durable than the OEM glass.
I think grandmas fine porcelain china is more durable than o.e.m. Kia glass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts