Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into getting a 12" subwoofer for my car. Problem is, I don't know anything about installing a system. I think the speakers already in are nice, but only when they have the bass turned down. This is why I want a new subwoofer. I have several questions to this and any input or links would be very helpful and appreciated.

1. How much room is beneath the rear seats? I can't see under them without taking the seats out. (Wondering if pioneer's shallow sub will fit underneath)
2. Are there any DIY to hooking up a subwoofer? how to run wires to the receiver to the front, hooking it up, etc. for a Kia soul?
3. Does the Kia have enough juice to power the amp without hurting the alternator? (I realize the kia battery is very very small, so i'm wondering if I need a capacitor as well or extra battery)
4. If I were to install a new subwoofer, I would not want the current speakers outputting any bass themselves because I don't like the way they sound, Is there a way to separate the controls between turning up the extra subwoofer and the speaker bass already in the car? I'd prefer to have the bass turned all the way off for the soul speakers and a separate control for the subwoofer.
5. Are there any other receivers that can replace the existing one (fitting in the same spot nicely), or a way to put another one in that looks very nice? Or do you think the current receiver is a good one already?

Any help to these questions would be very helpful! I have done a lot of searching in the forums and have trouble finding what I need. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
1. None. The rear seats sit on sheet metal. This is where the gas tank is. You will not fit any subwoofer under the rear seats.

2. You're going to need a pretty comprehensive DIY instruction manual for this because you're running a few sets of wires that are buried under the dash. Lots of folks have taken the radio bezel out and have written instructions here, start there.

3. It depends on how big of a subwoofer amp you get. Most stock Alternators put out anywhere from 65-90 amps (you'll have to check to see what the Soul's is rated) at 14 volts. This means you'll draw roughly 65 amps with a 900 watt system. That's about the limit right there without upgrading alternators.

4. You can do this if you get what are called "bass blockers" and install them on the stock speaker wires after you tap them for sub outputs.

5. um.... check car toys? any aftermarket system will have more options and would most likely sound better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! I won't be using that many watts for sure... probably 500 max.

5. Do they have aftermarket receivers that fit perfectly in the stock spot? Any other options?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts