Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul+ 2.0L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The ignition switch in my GF's 2011 Soul+ has been wonky for the past couple years -- difficult/crunchy to turn and won't spring back from the Start position, so she's been having to manually turn it back from Start to Run every time. Today it finally got stuck in Start for good, so I'mma see about replacing it for her.

I've got all the standard tools I should need and experience with DIY car repair, having maintained my own Italian classic car for the past 15 years, but obvs. it would help if I had a service manual for reference. Seems like there was an official Kia site with manuals, but that's gone subscription-only by now? Lame. Does anyone have a screencap or scan from a manual describing how this job should be done, or some other reference you could point me to? Or is it similar enough to the instructions for a Gen2 Soul posted here?

Also, do the symptoms described above sound like the entire ign. key tumbler/lock mechanism would need replacing, or just the actual electrical switch part, if that can be replaced separately?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What did you do? Mine has been acting up. Key goes in but won't turn I have to play with it to get it to unlock and start.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul+ 2.0L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It went similar to the Gen2 instructions I linked above. I didn't have to remove the wiper switch nor the entire switch/lock assembly (steps 4-6), but I did have to remove the airbag and then remove the steering wheel to access the screws holding on the lower steering column shroud. Then I managed to finagle the key into the ACC position, so I could press the pin underneath to remove the lock cylinder.

Speaking of which, before you do all that, see if you can get a brand-new key cut to code, in case your whole problem may be due to an over-worn key. In hindsight, that may have been the problem with my GF's car, as she got it with only one key that was already a well-worn copy of a copy.

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul+ 2.0L
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Indeed, but it has to be a brand-new key cut from scratch using the key code, not just a copy of your worn old key. I'm not sure offhand where you can look for the key code if it wasn't recorded in your owner's manual or other original documentation, but a Kia dealer or automotive locksmith can probably look it up by your car's VIN, or a locksmith may be able to measure your old key to determine the proper code.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It went similar to the Gen2 instructions I linked above. I didn't have to remove the wiper switch nor the entire switch/lock assembly (steps 4-6), but I did have to remove the airbag and then remove the steering wheel to access the screws holding on the lower steering column shroud. Then I managed to finagle the key into the ACC position, so I could press the pin underneath to remove the lock cylinder.

Speaking of which, before you do all that, see if you can get a brand-new key cut to code, in case your whole problem may be due to an over-worn key. In hindsight, that may have been the problem with my GF's car, as she got it with only one key that was already a well-worn copy of a copy.
Thanks. I have another key I'm gonna try. I bought it used at 100k but it was well taken care of. We'll see how that goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts