Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after owning this vehicle since last November, I happened to look up and saw that there's a light under the hood. It's been burned out since I purchased the car.

I unscrewed it and the grounding wire, but can't seem to figure out how to take apart the housing/remove the bulb. The housing seems to be one piece, which is fused to the wires.

I have to be missing something. Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
never seen a under hood light on my 2012 or 2016 Soul's. Sounds like someone added it later.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
I'd take it out. Is there really a need for an underhood light?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Never seen one on a Soul.
Where does that flex-conduit lead? what's on the other end? How was it suppose to turn on, switch on the body?

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
After working on many cars many nights after dark, I can say the option would have been beneficial many times.
I get that. But if you are "working on your engine" after dark, there are like thousands of better options than a Mickey Mouse bulb getup.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I get that. But if you are "working on your engine" after dark, there are like thousands of better options than a Mickey Mouse bulb getup.
Not disagreeing, but never know when something goes awry on a road trip and you don't have access to a proper lamp and fussing with trying to angle a flashlight is annoying.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
I have had two gen 2 cars and not seen anything like it before. I would think that it is an aftermarket item, pretty clever from what I see. You probably need to repair it from aftermarket parts. Used to be able to go to Radio Shack and find what you would need. Maybe HF has something nowadays.

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
Nice idea but a really poor install. I would remove it and replace it with another aftermarket unit and do a better job on the install.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice idea but a really poor install. I would remove it and replace it with another aftermarket unit and do a better job on the install.
Yup, that install was not good. And yes a light that comes on under the hood can be nice, a friend's car had one long ago and it came in handy numerous times.

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
definately after market, Kia would not do something that sloppy.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Reality is that what could you possibly fix with or without a light?
I know right? I'd hate to rely on that light to illuminate that exact spot that might need fixin.

Everyone should have a flashlight in their car. There are so many terrific options (like at a Harbor Freight, Amazon etc) of LED lights, with magnetic backers that would be superior.

And of course in a pinch, most cellphones have a light too :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
This was in a time before cell phones, and I think that particular light could be unclipped and moved around the engine compartment. And since we were about 17 or 18, you can image the type of car we could afford, lots of stuff ended up getting fixed on the side of the road or in a parking lot.

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
my Soul has a built-in flash light on one side of the cargo area :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts