Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2014 SOUL is described here. I was curious about removing the splash guard to do my first oil change.
I rolled the front tires up onto two 2 x 4's to give me an extra inch down there.
At first, I removed the little trap door for the filter and for the oil draining. Without standing under the car, it is very difficult to access the filter through the hatch/port they built for it. So, I endeavored to remove the splash guard.

Four body fasteners are most forward on the splash guard. Pull the center out to remove the fastener.
There are six 10MM bolts that need to be removed. Three of these are easy, in the front. The other three are farther back.
Also, up front, in the center, there is a pin-screw fasterer.....hard to describe, it is a 14MM bolt (attached to the splash guard) that you unscrew (off a threaded pin) by hand to release the splash guard.

Rear three 10MM bolts are reachable, but you need to reach under from just in front of the tire.
It helps to know where these 10MM's are. See the three reinforced holes at the rear of the splash guard? That is where they are.

2015-05-17 17.06.49.jpg
The oil change went well. I had the correct filter wrench and was able to loosen the original filter.
2015-05-17 16.00.55.jpg
The oil drain plug faces the rear, so ramping the front of the car to drain the oil helps the flow.
I drained overnight. My dealer will do free oil changes for life, but they will not do the first one until over 3000 miles.
I have 1772 miles of test drives performed so far. I have yet to really come out of the garage.
After this initial oil change, I will let the dealer change it at regular intervals. Maybe 5000, maybe 7000 or 7500.
2015-05-17 17.06.30.jpg
After cleaning. Will it be this clean after a few dealer oil changes? They will not be removing the splash guard.
Under side of splash guard:
2015-05-17 16.04.36.jpg
The access ports:

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
More photos...

Port/hatch photo:
2015-05-17 16.04.22.jpg
Clean engine bay:
2015-05-17 17.27.48.jpg
Radiator fluid overflow tank:
2015-05-17 17.28.23.jpg
Brake fluid:
2015-05-17 17.29.22.jpg
Now, who can tell me what that hose holder devise on the neck of the washer fluid tank is for?
2015-05-17 18.00.20.jpg
Hose HOLDER....
If you want any straight answers, you will have to HOSE HOLDER, but he resigned today to avoid questions just like Hillary did.

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
Now, who can tell me what that hose holder devise on the neck of the washer fluid tank is for?
View attachment 48169
Hose HOLDER....
If you want any straight answers, you will have to HOSE HOLDER, but he resigned today to avoid questions just like Hillary did.[/SIZE][/FONT]
to hold the washer fluid cap in place while you fill it - perhaps. I have this on my 2012 model

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That THING.....

Conwelpic, it is different on the 2014. Mine looks like a complete different style.
2015-05-27 13.08.00.jpg
I don't have the dip stick holder.
That thing, 2 inches down the neck, about the size of your finger. Does it hold a hose while the A/C is being serviced?
2015-05-27 13.07.26.jpg
Ready to clean and be clean.
2015-05-27 13.04.59.jpg
It is a clean machine:
2015-05-27 13.05.57.jpg
LED's and visor warning covers:
2015-05-26 08.42.21.jpg

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Hey Hawkia, thank you for posting these great shots of the engine bay & the splash guard. It's cool to see the under belly and where those access points are.

I'm with you, as much as I prefer to change my own oil & filter, on this car I'll let the dealer do it. If you buy the Soul from them they offer $24.95 oil/filter changes. The math gave me my answer.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just saw this thread after posting in another oil change thread. Here's my story.......

Just changed the oil for the first time myself on '14 (dealer did first two free).
Like most, I raised the front just a little to have better access, I aint small. Put a floor jack just behind front drivers wheel and lifted it just until the tire was a hair off the ground.
Now the tricky part....I LEFT THE SPLASH PAN ON!!! <gasp>
Ummmm, I fail to see why so many make such a fuss over it. I have large hands and forearms and even laying on my back with minimal clearance had absolutely ZERO problem with the pan in place.
I also used the older style band filter wrenches, even that wasn't much of an issue. Just had to get the whole thing through the access whole, angle the handle towards the driver side headlight and there is more then enough room to loosen/tighten the filter a ¼ turn at a time. Two maybe three twists and it was loose enough to turn by hand the rest of the way. One of those oil filter socket/caps would make it slightly easier but not enough to warrant buying one. Although with one I can see not having to even raise the front end up to change the oil/filter, just lay next to the front passenger wheel and reach under.
So a little oil dripped on the splash pan, a lot easier to wipe that down afterwords then it woulda been diddling around taking the thing off and reinstalling....Why?
Besides, I doubt those little plastick pins/screws were meant to be removed and replaced time and time again. Wont take long before they start shaking loose, even it you never touch them they'll probably all be loose and the pan rattling around 100k or so.

Really, leaving that pan in place isn't an issue at all. Really!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Oh and 'that thing' on the washer bottle neck, hmmm. About the only guess I have is that the same bottle also fits other models and it either hald a hose or wire loom on those. Maybe even that clips to a bracket (in the other model) to help hold it in place.
About the only way to figure that out would be to start popping hoods at the Kia dealership.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts