Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Oil consumption seems to be purely from the rings. Carbon makes them stick and of course just losing tension over time, they start off with low tension these days any way because of the 1-10th of a mile per gallon improvement the less drag there is. Same reason for the thin oil weights, it is not to help your engine, it is to certify it getting a little better fuel mileage with less drag on internals.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I wonder whether increased problems with second generation Souls vs. other cars with the same engine (and I don't know if there are more problems) is because of the high percentage of owners who name their cars but don't know what the dipstick does. They seem to be especially prevalent on Soul FB sites. I still remember one thread which started "What does the teapot light do?" I agree with every suggestion in the article. I have a bunch of $10 Valvoline Daily Protection+filter+rotate coupons that I've been using. Recently put in Super Tech synthetic for the winter (all 5w30)-- the Valvoline seems to burn through about 1.5 quarts over a 5K oci. The ST seems to burn not a bit after the first thousand miles. Suspect any SP oil is pretty good but I might pay the extra from here on out. Were I not living in a condo where you get nasty letters if you work on your car, I'd definitely buy nothing but syn. Definitely worth a buck a quart extra, three times as much on an oil change? Not sure. Since there really isn't any conventional 5w30 left (all approximately 50% group III) I suspect quick change places will rebrand in the next five years. It's kind of funny looking at reviews of VWB rebranding as syn blend and having Amazon customers complaining that it isn't "real" oil any more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Going to 5 w30 after first oil change doesn't sound like a bad idea but I think personally I would wait to get 50k or more on it. I can't say it is approved by Kia or even recommended so I am basing this on what I have read and seen from people who seem to know what they are talking about, I'm a mechanic not a chemist, physicist or engineer. Essentially the opinion of engineers out there is that going a little thicker on the oil is not harmful to an engine and that it is often recommended on higher mileage engines where the tolerances are no longer as tight. It is also the same people that say to never go thinner on the oil but thicker seems to be ok'd by everyone. I can tell you from personal experience on a high mileage 1.8t Audi I had that I accidentally grabbed 5w30 and put it in and it looked like the motor was letting go with smoke behind me at every stop light but when I realized my mix up and put 5w40 Castrol back in it the car was fine till 240k when I sold it and as far as I know it is still fine.
As far as Kia actually approving a switch to 5w30 from 5w20. The only instance that I have heard of this would be on the 2.4s under SC147 that you guys can google. At the dealer a noise test on the engine is performed and if it passes a new red colored dipstick is installed and the oil is changed to 5w30

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, can Blackstone Labs be our backup plan? Used them with my Ford Van long ago. (y)
How did the Blackstone Labs results change your engine oil policy? How did getting the oil tested change choices of oil or oil change interval?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi, Well, back in 2K-2013,I used this 5W-40 in my V-6 ('99 Ford E-150) for some 100K miles. This was 99% freeway travel with 5-6K miles oil change interval. Anyway, still does not seem to use any oil between changes! Sent some oil samples to Blackstone early before 50K miles. The analysis came back good. So, I stopped spending more on the tests.:unsure:
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel Engine Oil

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I ran a Blackstone lab on mine some time back. I'll see if I can find the results and post them up here (I did once before) but bottom line was synthetic 5-20 was good on everything at 6k+ miles and their estimate was I could run that oil to 10k before seeing anything worth changing it for; the only thing I remember the lab noting was more fuel contamination compared to other vehicles which they attributed to the GDI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wonder what 5W20 shears down to after a couple thousand miles
Those that say that 5w20 has a better base oil would say it doesn't shear as much. I don't really believe this but I've used 5w20 in my Soul without a problem. Then there's the problem with fuel dilution as referenced above. I do believe that there are people who run 5w20 for hundreds of thousands of miles without incident. I prefer 5w30, however. (There, I've flip flopped six times in one paragraph, a record.)

·
Registered
76 Posts
So I promised some pics next time we tear an engine down. Ignore the fact that this one sucked in a foreign object that destroyed it. This is a 2.4 GDI engine with 37k on it. You can see not much carbon on the pistons and not much on the valve faces. Carbon is starting on the valves but this is what I would call one in excellent condition compared to other valves I have seen at 37k.

Attachments

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I would be curious as to how or why this GDI engine was in "excellent condition compared to other valves I have seen at 37k."

·
Registered
76 Posts
It was in excellent condition because there is less carbon buildup on the valves and pistons than average that I see.
What was sucked in? Whatever it was it was pulverized and the remains could not be located. It was small enough to make it past the intake valve (there is a little nick on one of them at the edge and the valve seat) and it only got compressed at the edges of the combustion chamber where the chamber is the smallest. It was most likely metal as it had to be harder than aluminum and it was introduced to the engine past the air filter. As there are no screws or parts missing from the intake or throttle body it is anyone's guess as to how it got there. I can speculate and my guesses would be
#1. A junk cold air intake that fell apart or allowed something to go past it (the stock air box is on there now but I have seen cold air junk intakes ruin many a motor from falling apart, sucking in water or allowing objects to pass through their junk filters that only get oiled when they are put on and never cleaned or oiled again)
#2. Someone was servicing this car when it happened and something went wrong and dropped something in there.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I expect that westslope was wondering why this engine had less build-up than normal:
Always Top Tier fuel?
Any info on oil (type, weight, frequency service, etc)?
Not many short drives?

Probably not known to you, but I expect that was westslope's interest.

·
Registered
138 Posts
No records on this car, it is from a southern state and I am in Michigan. That is all I know.
Hi neighbor - I'm in Clinton Township MI

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
No records on this car, it is from a southern state and I am in Michigan. That is all I know.
This survey bombed, but we were seeking info, before westslope started working on this thread:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts