Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone figured out how to disable TPMS? I thought about pulling the fuse, but it looks like it is connected to other features that I don't want to lose.

I have a set of 18" coming Monday to replace the stock 15" and I am worried that the TPMS light will bother me. I just couldn't see spending another $300 to have new sensors installed.

If there is an easy way to disable it great. If not I will have to ask the shop to transfer them. From what I hear, its not a big deal to transfer because they are adjustable.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I could be wrong, but TPMS is now a gov't mandated safety feature. I don't k now if you even CAN turn in off. But I have no idea. I might just be blowing smoke. In fact, I don't know why I even responded.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discount tire charged me $5 each to swap mine out of my stock rims and into my new ones.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,015 Posts
Just take them from the old rims and put them on the new ones.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yes, all cars made from 2008 on are now required to have a TPMS system. disabling the system or putting aftermarket wheels on a car that came with TPMS that do not have the sensors in them is illegal and your car will not pas inspection if the system is not working. That is if your inspection shop doesn't overlook it. Also if you disable the TPMS system and have an accident because your tire blew out you might find that your insurance co. may not cover you for tampering with the vehicles safety systems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

I checked with my local shop and they are asking $5 per wheel to transfer them... Not going to break the bank.

Thanks for the tip about inspections. I didn't even think about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
TPMS are in fact standard in all cars since 2008. But it is not law in Canada to have this. If someone can show me where it says this on the Transport Canada website, I'd like to see it.

Further more, my Soul has the warning lights on the instrument panel, but they do not light up when you turn on the ignition. From what I understand, all warning lights should illuminate for a second or two as a bulb test for those indicators. Such as your oil pressure warning light or your battery light. But the symbols are there as you can see them during the day if the sun hits the gauges just right. So I'm thinking the cars automatically are built with them, but maybe they're not hooked up for cars shipping to Canada. I believe it has been mandated as law in the U.S.

Anyone know anything about this. Has anyone ever had they're TPMS light come on when turning on the ignition or to indicate a pressure problem? I'm curious to know.

Not kidding:

Road & Vehicle Safety » Vehicle Safety » Tire Safety - Canada Safety Council

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
kiapeg...
We have the indicator in our panel BUT it is NOT activated. We do NOT have TPMS valves on our tires so the indicator has been turned off or not connected as it isn't mandatory here in Canada.

·
Registered
518 Posts
[rant] TPMS, ugh. What happened to taking responsibility, maintaining your vehicle, checking pressure, doing a walkaround before piloting tons of rolling steel around a neighborhood full of kids, and friggin' being an observant enough driver to notice that the vehicle is pulling to the one side? "Oh, gosh, perhaps I have a low tire".

TPMS won't prevent a blowout. "Blowouts" happen suddenly, then the TPMS light goes on while the vehicle is violently vibrating, throwing off chunks of rubber, and slewing to one side. Will the light help, in that event, really? "Honey, look - perhaps a tire is low?"

Slow leaks? The walkaround will reveal that, and the driver can feel that in the car's handling, especially with the 18" wheels.

Where, exactly, will TPMS help ME? Oh, I get it - it'll show a light on the dash of cars of people who don't maintain or care about their vehicles.

Perhaps that light should be prominently displayed on the front and rear bumper?
[/end rant]

Better way, if required: Use the sensors already built into the ABS module to sense rotational differences between the wheels. ZERO new equipment required, and can sense a 2 psi difference. Done. With TPMS, it's another $400 to have a spare winter tire and wheel setup. What hooey.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
[rant] TPMS, ugh. What happened to taking responsibility, maintaining your vehicle, checking pressure, doing a walkaround before piloting tons of rolling steel around a neighborhood full of kids, and friggin' being an observant enough driver to notice that the vehicle is pulling to the one side? "Oh, gosh, perhaps I have a low tire".

TPMS won't prevent a blowout. "Blowouts" happen suddenly, then the TPMS light goes on while the vehicle is violently vibrating, throwing off chunks of rubber, and slewing to one side. Will the light help, in that event, really? "Honey, look - perhaps a tire is low?"

Slow leaks? The walkaround will reveal that, and the driver can feel that in the car's handling, especially with the 18" wheels.

Where, exactly, will TPMS help ME? Oh, I get it - it'll show a light on the dash of cars of people who don't maintain or care about their vehicles.

Perhaps that light should be prominently displayed on the front and rear bumper?
[/end rant]

Better way, if required: Use the sensors already built into the ABS module to sense rotational differences between the wheels. ZERO new equipment required, and can sense a 2 psi difference. Done. With TPMS, it's another $400 to have a spare winter tire and wheel setup. What hooey.
try getting out of the other side of the bed tomorrow......lol

·
Registered
556 Posts
What does pulling out the fuse do? Does it make the dash light go on? I've never tried it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
try getting out of the other side of the bed tomorrow......lol
That's funny! In re-reading that I guess I sounded a little miffed, I'm not, just frustrated. I actually rode the race bike to work today and am looking forward to a good hammer on the way home, so I guess it's really a good day (deep cleansing breath...)

I'm serious about the idiot lights though - any car with a TPMS light on should be displaying a warning to OTHER drivers! "Warning- this car may swerve out of control at any minute!!" (translation: "Warning: Driver isn't paying attention!") Heck, on the bike or in the car, I'm safer if I drive/ride as though the other guys are going to do something totally nonsensical anyway... they don't often disappoint! :-D

·
Registered
556 Posts
Just tried pulling the fuse in my 2007 Optima. It worked, no malfunction light, no dash telltale. I noticed that before I pulled the fuse, both TPMS lights came on when all of the other lights came on when the car was started. Once the fuse was pulled, they didn't. Once the fuse was put back in they did. I even drove across town with it out, and no warning light came on. So the solution to your problem is to take the fuse out! Well, maybe, I don't know if it is true for the Soul, but it works on the Optima.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Naw, it's not abuse, it's actually protecting us from folks who simply don't pay attention - the "lowest common denominator". Can't say I like "big" government, but many of the car improvements that have been mandated have actually worked somewhat well. This problem isn't centered in Washington, it's between the pedals and the steering wheel. Unfortunately, because of THAT problem, we endure other problems.

I have no ideal solution, and won't discuss politics on car forums.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did anyone even pay attention? This thread isn't about arguing weather or not TPMS is a good idea, it is asking how to disable TPMS. I figured it out, just pull the fuse. Problem solved, thread over, lets move on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree

[/end rant]

I totally agree Dixon. Our government constantly feels the need to mandate laws to protect the idiots of the world and the rest of the people with common sense have to comply. It's total BS. That's my rant.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Sorry for the derailment, I'm not really that political a guy! Moving along... my TPMS fuse is coming out sooon...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts