Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a small writeup on changing plugs on a 2010 kia soul 1.6 gas. The whole process is rather straightforward and with proper tools takes about 15-30 mins.
First is to gather tools and the sparkplugs. You will need a 10 mm socket, a deep well 5/8 spark plug socket, a 6 in extension and of course the ratchet. next is the spark plugs (either the stock champion copper rer8mc or in the case of what i used denso ixuh22 iridiums) and lastly some anti-seize.
And on to the writeup.
First obviously raise the hood to get a view of the coil cover and notice the four bolts around the perimeter. These bolts are 10mm.

We need to remove these four and place them out of the way (i use the cowl perfect little bolt holder), and then the cover simply lift right up. underneath this lies the four coils, one per plug.

These as well are held down by 10mm bolts similar to the ones used on the cover, but do take note that these bolts use a lockwasher whereas the cover bolts do not. Again remove the bolts and put them aside.
You may notice that there are connectors on each coil and be tempted to remove them, this is not necessary.
Next after all four bolts have been removed starting from the passenger side pull each coil off of it's respective plug.

After all four are out of the way it is then just a matter of taking the plug socket extension and ratchet and then removing each plug.
we then replace them with these.

One must not forget that you need thread anti-seize at this point. I simply dropped these in put the ratchet down the plug hole turned the rachet counter clockwise until i hear a slight click (seating the plug to avoid cross threading the soft aluminum) and then tighten. Instillation is the reverse of removal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well in this case for the average guy that is a no can do. These feature a .4mm tip even tap that with the lightest touch of anything solid and snap. (ask me how i know this 10 dollar mistake). So if the gap is not correct with these return them they are all supposed to be speced the same. I did check mine against each other and as far as i can tell they are all exactly the same.
So no i did not forget, and unless you have specialty gapping pliers best to leave the 11.99 USD plugs as they are.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You don't need "gapping pliars", you can pick up a .99 gapping tool at the auto parts store to check them with. Pregapped plugs are great, and I buy them the same way for my Tib, but I always check them. I've had more than one not correct when they arrived.

So yeah, you did forget it, since you did not post it at all. LOL

That's also quite a bit to pay for ONE spark plug, and get no performance from it. You can get NGK Iridiums from any local Nissan dealer, pregapped, for about .98 a piece. Guys running 250 HP and more on the same motor at RDtiburon.com are running them, they work great, and that's what are in mine right now.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Red thanx for the info I am sure someone will use it. Ya got check the gap boys. Worked in parts for years and you don't even want to know what some parts can go through. I always check the gap and I got to tell ya it is rare that I don't have adjust at least one of them. Otherwise GREAT write up and pics!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well red i would appreciate if you came into my thread with knowledge that would help, but since you did not here we go. The plugs that come in the 1.6 gamma engine are unique and as such finding replacements is difficult. The plugs for the soul feature a 19mm reach with the standard 5/8 hex. Most plugs of this configuration are designed for direct injection motors and come with the new smaller 16mm hex size as well as much different heat range. Currently there are only 2 plugs in the world available for the kia 1.6 gamma the stock champions (licensed to kia so try to find them at the parts store you cant and also cannot get them mail order i contacted champion directly) for 7.79 USD at the dealership and have them wear out at another 15k interval, or step up to the only other plug available the denso iridium for 11.99 (which was the cheapest i found) I could have got them for 25 USD at a BMW dealership as they are also used in the mini coopers.
Lastly if you put one of those cheap dime store plug gappers in between the .4mm(that is four tenths of a millimeter wide electrode) and the ground strap it WILL BREAK and a 12 dollar spark plug will be ruined.
So please in the future try to be more respectful with someone trying to help build the community at their own expense (in this case a 57 dollars shipped just for spark plugs).
And please don't thread crap.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I was plenty respectful, you just forgot something that is very important. I came in with knowledge that was helpful, even posted the links that show the tools for those that haven't seen them, prices, and sites with information about gapping your plugs. Hell, even one of the Moderators in here agreed.

You can CHECK the gap without breaking it.

Put the gap tool up to it, if the correct size won't go into the gap, the gap is wrong, so get it replaced if it is that fragile.

I don't believe it is that fragile at all, but you are the guy with the 1.6L.

You can either blindly put in a part and hope it is right, or you can at least check and make sure it is right before you rely on it. I didn't crap in your thread, I gave good information to try to help out other members here.

Want a chance for worse mileage and power? Don't check the gaps.

My last comment in here, because I'm not here to cause problems, is a quote from the Kia Bible.

www.kiatechinfo.com

Service Information

Choose "Soul AM"

Choose "2010"

Choose "G 1.6L DOHC"

Choose "Engine Electrical System"

Choose "Ignition System"

Choose "Spark Plug"

Choose "Repair Procedures"

Choose "Inspection"

3. Check the spark plugs for the following :
A. Broken insulator
B. Worn electrode
C. Carbon deposits
D. Damaged or broken gasket
E. Condition of the porcelain insulator at the tip of the spark plug

4. Check the spark plug gap using a wire gap(A) gauge, and adjust if necessary.

Standard value : 1.0-1.1 mm (0.039-0.043 in)

Oh, and you forgot one other very important thing, as well did I.

Spark Plug Tightening torque (1.6L) :
9.8 ~11.8 Nm (1.0~1.2 kgf.m, 7.2~8.7 Ib-ft)

Again, hope this helps some.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good man! Thanx for the link, RED ZMAN. Tons of free service info w/o purchasing shop manuals for my Soul or Forte. Just bought some Denso iridiums for my 1.6 Soul. In 20 years of wrenching I've changed hundreds of spark plugs and checked the gap on every single one whether it goes in a car, truck, motorcycle, or lawnmower. It pays off, one of the Densos was significantly tighter then the other 3.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks

Liked the photos to get a feel for where everything is. In my opinion, so what if the plugs may be a bit spendy. If you do it yourself (the right way), you're sure its done right AND saved a lot of cash!.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok guys....I need some help. Read this thread after searching for "spark plug replacement". Got a 2010, 1.6L manual and have only had oil changes and tire rotations. Coming up on 30k miles and spark plug issue. Called the dealership and talked to KIA service guy b/c I usually go there on a Saturday afternoon when they're not usually busy and wanted to make sure they could do the spark plugs. He says I need to get the 30k mile servicing which includes spark plugs, oil change, and a bunch of other things.....$459.99!!! What???!!! So I ask him if its required for the warranty and he hems and haws. Suffice to say, I don't want to shell out $460.00. And the user's manual only references replacing the air cleaner element, the spark plugs and the oil/filter. Do I really need more than that to maintain my warranty? Otherwise, everything else on the normal maintenance schedule is "I" for Inspection and replace, if necessary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
one more question.....if you install the higher end (platinum, iridium, etc.) plugs, does that mean you won't have to replace them as often? (Or....should I just stick to the program?) Thanks!!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
follow what it says in your owners manual with regards servicing, but determine if you come under the severe Usage conditions (p 7/7) as fluids/filters will need changing more often. Anything not listed in your manual for that service is your choice.

Yes its every 30,000 miles for spark plug changes for the 1.6L both in the 2010 and 2011 models, for 2012 the 1.6L is now the same as the 2.0L as far as spark plugs are concerned (it says they are now iridium coated).

the cabin filter you can change yourself, you don't have to go to a dealer to get regular service it can be done at your local garage if you wish just keep proof that it has been maintained as per the owners manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks conwelpic!! The severe usage conditions don't apply....this is my little run around car. I have a pickup for the big, mean stuff. I did know that I could get the work done at my regular mechanic but I go to the dealership b/c I can get in and out on a Saturday afternoon and they aren't that much more expensive. I think I may reconsider now. With all the great instruction and notes here, my husband could probably do the spark plugs (he worked on many cars in his youth and still does a few small things) but it might not be worth the hassle or the possible invalidation of the warranty. In any event, I will figure it out but greatly appreciate the advice and counsel!!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The expensive iridium plugs are supposed to be good for 100k miles. What's with this 30k plug change BS?
I've never heard of such a thing.
just curious!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
750 Posts
That 30K requirement is listed for 1.6L engines(2012). For my 2012 2.0L it lists 105K miles as the "replace plugs" point. I assume it is same for 2013.....but didn't verify yet. It may have something to do with the direct injection design of the 1.6, but I am only guessing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This thread provided Invaluable help! Thanks
By December of 2013 I figured surely someone was making a replacement plug other than the champion.
No! and after buying two different sets of Bosch Plugs that "fit your car" and didn't I ran to the dealer early on Saturday morning and picked up a set of Champs for $24.64.
Gapped as suggested and torqued too.
Initially I had a random misfire CEL code, and found the coil connector loose. The plastic latch on this coil wouldn't snap engage.
Recheck all plugs, swapped coils and checked how wires ran.
Fire her up and all is well!
Now to return the Bosch non fit plugs.

Anyone have a reliable source for Platinum or Iridium plugs?

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts