Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my 2013 base didn't come with a rear cargo cover or cargo organizer (or spare tire kit, of course). I like the floor to be mostly flush with the rear seatback when folded, so I wanted the cover. A local salvage yard had a wrecked 2010 + with a spare tire kit and cover; no cargo organizer for some reason. While the cover is pretty solid, it certainly cannot support much weight with the void between it and the spare well. While perusing Walmart for a plastic tote of the proper dimensions, my attention was drawn to a 4-pack of bed risers which seemed to be pretty close to the needed height. A trial fit revealed them to be about 3/4" too short, which was remedied by 1x4, wrapped in duct tape for color and screwed onto the riser. Sticky-side Velcro on the bottom and they remain in place very well, and they provide plenty of support. I put some Velcro on the bottom of the air compressor package as well, and everything fits underneath perfectly. If you're like me and couldn't justify a $180 cargo organizer, this was done for a little over $15 and the cover was $40.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Nice trick, but........

What are you doing for a Spare Tire? If you ever use that re-inflation kit when a tire is punctured, you've just bought yourself a new tire and a new TPMS sensor.
That Fix-A-Flat goo, makes it impossible for any respectable tire shop to ever put a patch in that tire and the goo also messes up the TPMS sensor so it will have to be replaced.

I took all that Mickey Mouse re-inflation kit out of my car and all but the little air compressor is now in my storage shed.
I put in a full size spare, floor jack, hand tools, the little air compressor, Jumper Cables, and a 20' 6000# (rated) tow strap and then put the floor panel back in, and it works a treat. I've carried over 400# of cargo in the back of my car, with NO problem.

Everything I might need, out on the road, or the back roads, nestles neatly in and around the tire well. Then the cover lays right in on top of the spare tire and all's well.

With that POC Re-inflation Kit as your only hope, if you have a flat tire, I hope you have the phone number for AAA or the Roadside assistance handy.

Good Luck!
:cool:

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you doing for a Spare Tire?
The car I got the cover from had a spare, so I grabbed the whole kit and installed that underneath as well. On the very rare occasion of two flats, I might just make it--and I might be able to help someone else if they don't have a spare either.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
Good thinking! But I'm with Techno on the spare tire....wouldn't drive my Soul without one. The goo in a can won't fix sidewall damage like I had a couple of years ago. :)

Reactions: User2014

·
Registered
448 Posts
Well I've had nails and glass and and tire leaks from time to time, but they always gave me time to get to a garage. I swear, I've driven around for 45 years hauling a spare tire and have never actually needed it. I never drive on bald tires either.

So, after the moment of panic when the Kia salesman told me there was no spare tire- he saw the look on my face and he said "When's the last time you actually USED your spare tire?" and I realized ...like ...NEVER. The look on my face was similar to when he said there was no CD player...might as well be asking for a turntable- or when I realized new computers dont come with floppy drives anymore...lolol!
So hey I'm 60 and I can call the Kia roadside assistance number and get towed to a garage in the very RARE likelihood I'll ever need a tire ...one day. Big deal. Are people actually having flat tires left and right anymore? I thought that was like a 50's thing...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I bought a spare so I don't have to be towed somewhere, but I will most likely call Roadside assistance to come put it on for me LOL :victorious:

(Not because I don't know HOW, just because I won't wanna do it myself --- yes, TM, I. AM. LAZY. Not to mention that I would much rather have a service vehicle with flashing lights on it behind my car for extra protection.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Well I've had nails and glass and and tire leaks from time to time, but they always gave me time to get to a garage. I swear, I've driven around for 45 years hauling a spare tire and have never actually needed it. I never drive on bald tires either.

So, after the moment of panic when the Kia salesman told me there was no spare tire- he saw the look on my face and he said "When's the last time you actually USED your spare tire?" and I realized ...like ...NEVER. The look on my face was similar to when he said there was no CD player...might as well be asking for a turntable- or when I realized new computers dont come with floppy drives anymore...lolol!
So hey I'm 60 and I can call the Kia roadside assistance number and get towed to a garage in the very RARE likelihood I'll ever need a tire ...one day. Big deal. Are people actually having flat tires left and right anymore? I thought that was like a 50's thing...
Just a thought to those of you that own a Honda Element and also a Soul the tires and rims are interchangeable. In the event the roadside service is taking too long a call to the owner of the Element that has a spare tire and jack can stand in for road side assistance.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Bud- you mean my husband's Element spare tire would just fit right on my Soul+'s that currently has its 17" wheels on? That'd be awesome to know!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes it will. The Element has 16” wheels most likely that are very close to the same size at the tread as your 17’s. My soul came with 18’s but for the winter I’m running 16’s that were first on a Monty Carlo and then on the Element and now on the Soul. The lug wrench will also fit I’m pretty sure. The rim size is 114.3 mm x 5 bolt holes with what they call a high offset. It’s common on a whole bunch of cars. If you ever wanted to get a spare set of rims for winter tires and save your pretty new 17’s you could do what I did and get some off craigslist or from a junk yard.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Yes it will. The Element has 16” wheels most likely that are very close to the same size at the tread as your 17’s. My soul came with 18’s but for the winter I’m running 16’s that were first on a Monty Carlo and then on the Element and now on the Soul. The lug wrench will also fit I’m pretty sure. The rim size is 114.3 mm x 5 bolt holes with what they call a high offset. It’s common on a whole bunch of cars. If you ever wanted to get a spare set of rims for winter tires and save your pretty new 17’s you could do what I did and get some off craigslist or from a junk yard.
hmm hmmm ,Auto Recycler please ...lol

·
Registered
127 Posts
hmm hmmm ,Auto Recycler please ...lol

They have changed the signs in front of the two big “Junk Yards” here a few times trying to uplift the professional status. But the term is so ingrained into the vernacular here. If you called them those new names no one would know what you were talking about and when they figured it out they would go “oh you mean Jay’s Junk Yard.”

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Buzz, I'm trying to explain as best I can. If I actually got a flat tire (which i have not had yet in 45 years of driving, just saying), I'd pull over and call for towing, not going to put spray goop into my tire. I'll pay for the tow. 'Might' happen once, maybe twice in my remaining lifetime. I'm not worried about it. Especially with my Kia roadside assistance number AND my husband's number. I don't have Nexans on my Soul, I have brand new Cooper snows on right now, and new Kumho Solus for the warm season. My driving habits are pretty tame. My cell phone and my credit card are my friends. :)

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,118 Posts
^^^^Well out in the middle of nowhere here in Texas, it might take a long while for roadside assistance to reach you. I have 2 artificial knees and I would still get out and change the tire instead of waiting for no telling how long......it get's awful hot in the summer time down here. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts