Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just verified, my clutch free play is way out of spec. I basically have none, about 1/16", maybe 1/8". I'd like to get it in spec closer to 0.5" which is what I'm more used to in previous vehicles. Anyone know how this is done? Took a quick glance and I'm not seeing how....the pedal assembly looks different than my other vehicles. I checked the service manual, and it shows spec diagrams but not HOW to adjust free play (best I could tell anyway).

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have an auto but in previous years I had clutches and some were hydraulic, hence no adjustment
I would take it to a dealer and ask about your problem, depending how long you have had this car I see no need to pay for any fixing the dealer does.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
There is NO adjustment for "free play" on a hydraulic clutch, it is self adjusting.
You may be able to change the pedal height via the lock nut on the threaded master cylinders shaft but that will Not effect "fee play"

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
See? If you'd get an AT you'd never have to worry about any of that clutch stuff.

Put an AT in "D" for Drag, put the hammer down and hang on. The car will do the rest.

I can testify that the Soul with AT can do zero to Ticket in about five seconds. :laughonfloor

No clutch....no sweat!

Cheers Mate and Happy Labor Day!

TM :cool:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
After driving stick cars (and bikes) for most of my life and all of my driving life, I'm finally done.
The thrill is gone for me, replaced by bumper to bumper traffic and drivers that can't get out of their own way.
This coupled with the seemingly short life span of Hyundai/Kia clutches only reinforces my switch to an automatic was a good choice.
My wife drives stick as well but those days will be of necessity and not choice for the future...

·
Registered
2012+ 2.0L W/Manual trans.
663 Posts
My clutch feels different than my last car. It's softer and took a little while to get used to it. I've been driving a stick for 35 years and enjoy it as much today as ever. Clutch wear depends on the driver. I read the other day that another member was over 122K on his original clutch.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The clutch is definitely softer than I'm used to, but it is also engaging higher which is the aspect I'd like to adjust the perception of by putting the free play into proper spec. (And yes, 0.5" of extra travel is enough to be noticeable)

On the inside of other cars I've owned, somewhere on the "clutch assembly" there was either a stopper bolt, or a lock nut on the master cylinder shaft to adjust free play. But in the Soul I see neither. The fact there are diagrams and specs listed within the service manual clearly implies there adjustments that can be made, however no indication of how. The only thing I see that MIGHT be the adjustment is the ignition switch at the top of the pedal lever, that would assume the switch itself is acting as a stopper.

Anyone??

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I don't know what kind of communication you have with your dealer's service dept, but have you tried just calling them and asking them? It's probably a lot cheaper than driving there.

My Kia guys are always happy to answer any questions I might have.
I usually just zip off an email to my Service Manager and have an answer back by the next day, at least.

Just a thought.......

:cool:

PS: Years ago, I too had cars with eight under the hood and four on the floor. But, the only car I ever owned, where I had to change a clutch (X3) was my little Chevy Sprint Turbo. Those little clutches just couldn't handle that turbo and my liking to do Burnouts.
Old saying: If you wanna play, you gonna pay! :laughonfloor

I got rid of that little car in 1990 and I've had only AT's ever since then.

I really do love my little six speed AT. She's smooth, and FAST!
And she always seems to be in the right gear at the right time. (how she do dat?)
Under full GO-Pedal, she likes to shift at 6500 rpm, just under the red line.
There's NO WAY I could do any better with an MT.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nothing the dealer or service department said would hold any credibility so no point in asking, assuming they even took the time to answer or even know the answer. I live in a city of brain-dead zombies. Actually, that description is probably a step above.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Well, you don't list your city, only Florida and that covers a lot of swampland. But yes, as in other places as well, there are a lot of Brain-Dead around. And unfortunately, too many of them work in the automotive repair business. I can indeed attest to that.

But I do have to admit, my guys at Citrus Kia are a cut above the rest. Some really great guys, and gals.
I drive 30 miles to get there and it's well worth it.

Unlike 99% of other dealerships, at Citrus Kia, the owner of the business is right there, every day, watching over the operation. I've met him, the day I bought my car, and he's a really great guy.

I'm sorry, that you've had such bad luck.

Cheers Mate!
TM :cool:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I live in the Orlando area, and believe me, the movie "Walking Dead" is a pretty good depiction, except the Zombies in the show have a lot more motivation.

So.... after looking over the clutch today, best as my old rickety body could stand being bent like a pretzel, I might have some insight and theories...

- First, it does indeed appear the switch at the top of the pedal also acts as the "stopper". Problem is, in order to "adjust" that, it appears to require two nut adjustments (one above and one below the switch mount plate) which is not going to be easy to access.

- Since I have basically no free play, I looked closely at the piston gasket and it is already maxed out in terms of extension - to the point where it is just beginning to flex a hair. So even if I did raise the switch/stopper to get some free-play, it would likely cause very bad pull-stress on the piston seal. SO....theoretically speaking two things need to happen - I'd need to be able to extend the length of the piston AND adjust the switch/stopper to create free play. Problem is, there is no obvious way to achieve any extension on that piston like "normal" cars have. There is no nut to loosen. I can only GUESS that maybe the plastic part the the piston connects to at the clutch pedal-arm may be screwed in. So that it can be adjusted a bit. Totally theorizing on this though. Kind of scary in the first place because that connector between the piston and clutch pedal-arm looks like it may be plastic? Need to get back under there again and double-check that.....

·
Registered
751 Posts
A quick glance at kiatechinfo.com shows the clutch pedal free play spec between .24 and .51". The switch does indeed look like the backstop, and you might be able to back it off enough for more free play, but hydraulic clutches are designed to not have all the slack the old cable systems had. Once set up and bled properly they really have zero "play", and the only slack is in the pedal linkage (and that ought to be minimal unless worn out). I suspect you can gain a tiny bit of free play by backing off the switch and that should not hurt the rod assembly used to push the slave cylinder in. Try it, and good luck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A quick glance at kiatechinfo.com shows the clutch pedal free play spec between .24 and .51". The switch does indeed look like the backstop, and you might be able to back it off enough for more free play, but hydraulic clutches are designed to not have all the slack the old cable systems had. Once set up and bled properly they really have zero "play", and the only slack is in the pedal linkage (and that ought to be minimal unless worn out). I suspect you can gain a tiny bit of free play by backing off the switch and that should not hurt the rod assembly used to push the slave cylinder in. Try it, and good luck.
Thanks Kevster. However, I'm seeing the piston already starting to tug every so slightly on the seal, if I raise the back-stop any, the piston seal is going to get tugged on in a way that I'm guessing will almost surely cause problems. All I can guess is what you were inferring - that "free play" on the Soul is not really free play in the traditional sense, it must be within the linkage, although if that is the case it is still perplexing to understand how that would be measured by whoever is properly "adjusting" the clutch play.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts