Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

How to add dual power ports on a base model that has only 1 (2012-13)

4K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  remprimo 
#1 ·
I have no idea if this works on earlier models, but I know it works on 12 & 13 because I have both.

I have 2 base models. Both of them came with only 1 power port in the front. I would rather have 2.

I ordered the 2 power port piece from a guy on Ebay, and it came complete with the USB and Aux jack. You can order the part from Kia as well, but I'm unsure if you'll get the center section.

Anyway: once you have the 2 power port piece: Pop out the 1 power port piece from your dash. You *do not* have to pull off the shifter bezel or anything around it - this piece will clear everything. The easiest way I found to pull this out with the single port is to put your thumb in the port (make sure the key is off!) and pull out some. That will just slightly pop out the right hand side. Then get a piece of tape and wrap it around a small flathead screwdriver, and put a rag behind the screwdriver. Pry out and the power port will pop out.

Pull it out far enough so you can unplug the connectors. The USB connector has a small push pin on the bottom in the center of the while plug, push in on that while pulling the plug away. The power port has a small plastic tab on the bottom terminal that you need to push in while pulling away from the connector.

After you've done this, reach inside along the wiring harness. You will feel the 2nd power port wire in there, it is taped to the wire harness. Pull that piece of tape off and you'll release the 2nd port connector. Connect all the wires to the new port setup and *TEST EVERYTHING* before you pop it back into the dash - both power ports, the USB, and the Aux jack. The key has to be on for the ports to work, both of them are this way (one day I'll fix this as well). After you're done, line up the port with the holes in the dash and push straight back until you feel it pop into place.

Finished! You now have 2 power ports. This whole job, start to finish, including testing everything, took me 10 minutes. I paid about 40 bucks for a used power port setup on Ebay. They were around 100 I think at the dealer.

See less See more
#3 ·
No problem! I figured I'd order it and give it a shot because I gambled that the other port wire was there, and if it wasn't I was going to make my own tap off the existing wire. But this was as plug-and-play as it gets. It was aggravating with the single power port, especially since I do a lot of commuting and need at least 2 of these, one to charge the phone and one for the radar detector or GPS or IPod.

#6 ·
It may be, and it certainly would hurt to look. Good idea.

I had a 1987 Nissan pick up, stripped bare bones model. When I got it, the dealer wanted 500 to add a radio and four speakers (the standard upgraded radio set up). As part of the deal I asked them to sell me the radio, speakers and a rear bumper at cost. They did, and I paid 87.00 for an AM/FM/CD radio with speakers. As I was leaving the salesman told me that the wiring harness was already in there and that the installation cost was a rip off anyway. I installed the radio and speakers in 20 minutes in the parking lot with two screw drivers.

#7 ·
FYI -- My dealer's parts department gave me this info:

12v socket P/N: 6K54A-662PO $11.35 each.

Seems to me that the cover plate designed to accommodate 2 outlets and the USB couldn't cost more than $30-40. If you add $11.35 for the second outlet, the price should STILL be at -- or UNDER -- $50?

#12 ·
Hmmm. Let me look through my Ebay listing see if it's in there. No, it expired. What he needs to do is find another 2013 with the dual ports - it doesn't matter whose car it is - and get the VIN. Kia looks up everything by VIN. Take that VIN to the dealer and tell him you need the replacement ports, and they'll have the right part number through the VIN. It's a hassle that you can't just look it up by options but it's highly confusing that way. Apparently Kia knows every option on every car in their system by VIN. That is how I got the part numbers correctly for BigMav's cruise project. I used the VIN of my other Kia that had the exact stuff needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.