Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Oil level on the dipstick in my 2.0L is about half way. When its all the way to low end of dipstick, what volume of oil does it take?
Owners manual does not say.

Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
General reference is 25% oil loss at the low mark for 4 quart capacity car engines.
Less than a quart should fill my 1.6 liter Soul, from the low to top marks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for feedback. Was sort of thinking it was about a quart, but wanted another opinion. Haven't figured what is going on with mine as it had not used any oil until last change at 35K miles. Now, after only 2500 miles its down to the half way mark. I'm watching it till it gets to the bottom and if it does within the next 2500, its likely to be traded as I have no confidence that it won't increase even more oil consumption.

Registered
Thanks for feedback. Was sort of thinking it was about a quart, but wanted another opinion. Haven't figured what is going on with mine as it had not used any oil until last change at 35K miles. Now, after only 2500 miles its down to the half way mark. I'm watching it till it gets to the bottom and if it does within the next 2500, its likely to be traded as I have no confidence that it won't increase even more oil consumption.
I would run as much oil as possible, as the more oil in the motor the better (dilution is the solution for contaminants). Also restores the additives.
Measure the fill back to the top mark every time it's low. Monitor the date & mileage to get a handle on usage.

Consider upping your motor oil weight.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. Will watch it like a hawk. I have Castrol Magnatec 5-30 on hand for next change at 40K.

Registered
Thanks again. Will watch it like a hawk. I have Castrol Magnatec 5-30 on hand for next change at 40K.
ooh, I like your choice of oils :love:

Registered
G.D.I.carbon building up on the cylinders is probably the reason, especially at the 30k mark this is usually when the G.D.I.s get dirty

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
With dipstick down to 1/2, I added 12 oz today. If a GDI motor is gunked up at 30K miles, something is seriously wrong with its manufacturer. Regrettably, I've lost confidence in KIA and Hyundai motors.

Registered
With dipstick down to 1/2, I added 12 oz today. If a GDI motor is gunked up at 30K miles, something is seriously wrong with its manufacturer. Regrettably, I've lost confidence in KIA and Hyundai motors.
How many miles?

Registered
GDI is merely a bad engineering design that needs improvement. All automakers jumped into the bandwagon and issues plague them all.

Registered
I have a coworker with a 2015ish Santa fe with the GDI engine and at 99k had to get the engine rebuilt by Hyundai due to the oil consumption issue. They documented excessive carbon build up on sides and between piston rings as the cause for the consumption.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Had been thinking of trading our '13 Accord with 120K miles for new 2020 Accord. Decided to keep the Honda and trade the Kia instead. Had one offer today and will check with other dealers in coming days.

Registered
Typically, when you are down to "Add" or "Low" on the dipstick, it takes around 1 quart to fill. Sometimes a little less, so start with 1/2 quart and keep adding.

Our 2013 Soul Base 1.6 Automatic with GDI was still running strong and using no oil at 95K miles when we traded for a new 2020 Soul LX.

I used synthetic almost always, which reduces crankcase fumes and, therefore, intake tract (intake valves) deposits.

Registered
My 2016 Soul + (2.0L) appears to have started burning oil at only about 26K miles. It was down about 1/3 of the way from high to low after about 4000 miles, with an oil change due in a couple weeks. (I do my own oil changes and use Mobil1 5W-20.) So, not terrible, but it's still disturbing that it would be happening with so few miles. I'm planning to switch to 5W-30 when I change the oil in case that makes any difference.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts