Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 +, when the fuel light comes on & range is below 30 miles all I can add is 10.8 gallons... supposedly tank is 14.2. I get having a safety margin for careless people, but it seems excessive. I remember my 2016 base model would have room for 12-12.5 gallons when it got down to this point.
I don't make a habit of being below 1/4 tank, but sometimes for road trips you wanna stretch your range.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I go to the same top tier station every fill up, which is between 280 to 310 miles on the tank. I put in between a little over 11 to a little over 12 gallons.

38 Posts
MPG / Range is different for every Soul as everyone driving one has different driving habits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Perhaps, but everyone should be in the same ballpark. ie: if someone is only getting 200 miles per tank, there is an issue obviously.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ya. It's your right foot.

But joke aside, it depends on driving conditions, slope and traffic.

Edit: For fuel capacity, remember that the measurement is a bone dry tank as 14 gallons. Since you will always will have gas in it, it will never reach 14. The most that I put in it was 11.7 gallons, and I still have 12 miles of range left.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Two days ago, maybe 5 miles after the light came on, I added 11.9 gallons. So, I can't say what the range gauge said (I never have it set on) but in winter with all city driving, when the light comes on I've got maybe 45 miles to dry (I get about 22mpg in the winter). There's probably some variation between vehicles as to where the light comes on, as well as variation due to how you drive, how much load you're carrying, etc.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
this subject has been talked about so many times.

When I first got my 2016 Soul SX I tracked my fuel economy for the first 49 fill ups and the maximum I put it at any one fill up was 47.7 L (54L size tank) covered 628 km on that fill. I find the low fuel light can come on at various points, but generally seems to be between 95-105 km still left on the range. I have gone well below the ---- point with still quite a bit of fuel left.
After doing these first 49 fill-ups I don't track my fuel economy any more as I know from that what to expect from this vehicle. I do fuel economy checks when I do long journeys, more out of curiosity.

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
I wish mine would display what my fuel rewards points are & when they expire. THAT tells me when to fill up (I'm cheap!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can see the details of mine in my fuelly account - see signature.

12.5 or so seems to be the most I can fit, even at 0 miles indicated range.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have a 2019 +, when the fuel light comes on & range is below 30 miles all I can add is 10.8 gallons... supposedly tank is 14.2. I get having a safety margin for careless people, but it seems excessive. I remember my 2016 base model would have room for 12-12.5 gallons when it got down to this point.
I don't make a habit of being below 1/4 tank, but sometimes for road trips you wanna stretch your range.
I'm not sure why your 2019 would be different. Both the 2016 and 2019 are Gen 2 so I would think the gas tank and filter neck are the same. On my 2015 when the light comes on, I'm pretty sure I'm in the 11-12.x range.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
377 Posts
I had the fuel light come on the other day. Something that rarely happens. But I took on 11.3 gallons.
I think the range showed 50 or so miles left. Mathematically about 3, or a hair less, gallons left in the tank and 1/8 tank on the gauge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perhaps, but everyone should be in the same ballpark. ie: if someone is only getting 200 miles per tank, there is an issue obviously.
There is no mention of the different HP offered . I have a 2.0 engine that isn't as good MPGs as a 1.6. But I feel a 1.6 engine is JUNK. went there ,had one, took it back the next day

·
Registered
6,066 Posts
There is no mention of the different HP offered . I have a 2.0 engine that isn't as good MPGs as a 1.6. But I feel a 1.6 engine is JUNK. went there ,had one, took it back the next day
My 1.6 has been a terrific engine. Six years and no problems. Impressed with the power despite uninformed print reviewers. The 1.6 has been a workhorse for the Hyundai Kia fleet for many years.

Same planet, different worlds.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Traveling across country. Stopped for gas, fuel light on and range went from 30 to - - a mile before I hit gas station. Car took 12.3 gallons.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it seems from the majority of comments that KIA has overly early range / low fuel light. Having 20%+ left in the tank even at 0 miles seems like they err too far on the side of caution. Really annoying for road trips 🤬🤬🤬

That being said, I loved both of my Souls & wouldn't want any other car!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
So it seems from the majority of comments that KIA has overly early range / low fuel light. Having 20%+ left in the tank even at 0 miles seems like they err too far on the side of caution. Really annoying for road trips 🤬🤬🤬

That being said, I loved both of my Souls & wouldn't want any other car!
I smell a lawyer in that cautiousness...

Richard

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is probably a one or two gallon reserve in the tank. Most ive gotten it to take was 13.1 gallons, but that was really really stretching it with the 2.0. I average anywhere from 23 to 40ish mpg depending on city or highway driving. It depends on if your in sport regular or eco too, and how heavy your right food it too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts