Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my car just hit 29K miles & will be in need of the 30K major service...called some dealerships here in the San Diego area, prices ranged from $400-$620, they were all willing to knock off $60 since I do my own air/cabin filters (drive in the desert a lot).

How much did you pay for yours? Am I crazy to think that $400 is a lot for 30K service?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
That seems high James. Unless something is actually broken, what needs to be done to a Soul?

Does that include brake job?

Maybe a new air filter since you drive in the desert alot. Easy to check & replace yourself. It's ridiculous they wanted $60 for the cabin air filter.

It seems an oil change and that free safety checklist should be enough. I doubt they do much more than this:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Have them provide you with a list of services performed and compare it with Kia's scheduled maintenance. You will see quite a few that they claim as "dealer recommended". They have pre-packaged menus backed by chemical companies like BG and others. That is Cash cow for the dealer, and usually performed by lower skill level techs. Have them quote you an "as per factory recommendations" and see where that goes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Geo and Garix are right, get what they want to do in writing before committing. If they include any flushes tell them no and if the press the issue tell them to look up Technical Service Bulletin GEN 058. Kia home office recommends against those services and won't cover warranty work if they've been done, but I've seen a number of Soul owners say that their dealer service department tried to talk them into it.

According to my 2017 manual they should only be doing the following, certainly not worth $600 in my view.

❑ Inspect air conditioning compressor, air conditioner refrigerant and performance (if equipped)
❑ Inspect cooling system
❑ Inspect drive shaft and boots
❑ Inspect fuel line, hoses and connection
❑ Inspect fuel tank air filter
❑ Inspect vapor hose and fuel filler cap

❑ Inspect visually the following items:
1) Battery condition
2) Brake fluid / clutch (if equipped) fluid
3) Fuel lines, hoses and connections
4) Brake pedal and operation
5) Chassis/body nuts and bolts
6) Drum brake and linings (if equipped)
7) Disc brakes and pads (if equipped)
8) Exhaust pipe and muffler
9) Front suspension ball joints
10) Fuel tank, cap, lines and hoses
11) Lubricate all locks and hinges
12) Parking brakes
13) Steering operation and linkage
14) Suspension mounting bolts

❑ Replace air cleaner filter
❑ Replace climate control air filter (if equipped)
❑ Replace engine oil and filter (if due)
❑ Add fuel additive (Every 7,500 miles or 12 months)
❑ Rotate tires - including tire pressure and tread wear (Every 7,500 miles or 12 months)

If necessary, adjust, correct, clean or replace.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So my car just hit 29K miles & will be in need of the 30K major service...called some dealerships here in the San Diego area, prices ranged from $400-$620, they were all willing to knock off $60 since I do my own air/cabin filters (drive in the desert a lot).

How much did you pay for yours? Am I crazy to think that $400 is a lot for 30K service?
I just had the 30k service done in west MI. They charged me $180 and that got me an oil change, new filters all around, tire rotation, lube door hinges, etc.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
They want to do oil change, full inspection (basically go over every part of the car...above and beyond normal oil change inspection), de-carbon the engine, flush radiator, check bakes/lines, check all drivetrain & suspension.

I wonder why they have such a vastly different idea of a 30k out here compared to other people on here, there isn't a KIA standard service guideline?

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
786 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wonder why they have such a vastly different idea of a 30k out here compared to other people on here, there isn't a KIA standard service guideline?
Asked and answered...

You will see quite a few that they claim as "dealer recommended". They have pre-packaged menus backed by chemical companies like BG and others. That is Cash cow for the dealer, and usually performed by lower skill level techs. Have them quote you an "as per factory recommendations" and see where that goes.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Geo and Garix are right, get what they want to do in writing before committing. If they include any flushes tell them no and if the press the issue tell them to look up Technical Service Bulletin GEN 058. Kia home office recommends against those services and won't cover warranty work if they've been done, but I've seen a number of Soul owners say that their dealer service department tried to talk them into it.

According to my 2017 manual they should only be doing the following, certainly not worth $600 in my view.

❑ Inspect air conditioning compressor, air conditioner refrigerant and performance (if equipped)
❑ Inspect cooling system
❑ Inspect drive shaft and boots
❑ Inspect fuel line, hoses and connection
❑ Inspect fuel tank air filter
❑ Inspect vapor hose and fuel filler cap

❑ Inspect visually the following items:
1) Battery condition
2) Brake fluid / clutch (if equipped) fluid
3) Fuel lines, hoses and connections
4) Brake pedal and operation
5) Chassis/body nuts and bolts
6) Drum brake and linings (if equipped)
7) Disc brakes and pads (if equipped)
8) Exhaust pipe and muffler
9) Front suspension ball joints
10) Fuel tank, cap, lines and hoses
11) Lubricate all locks and hinges
12) Parking brakes
13) Steering operation and linkage
14) Suspension mounting bolts

❑ Replace air cleaner filter
❑ Replace climate control air filter (if equipped)
❑ Replace engine oil and filter (if due)
❑ Add fuel additive (Every 7,500 miles or 12 months)
❑ Rotate tires - including tire pressure and tread wear (Every 7,500 miles or 12 months)

If necessary, adjust, correct, clean or replace.
All the "Inspect" stuff sounds kind of like just BS they write on the ticket to charge you more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the help. Screw these people then. I know the one dealership trying for $600 is shady A.F....i bought my car from them, the sales dept is good, but service is baloney there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ahh the upsale. I used to be a service advisor for a H-D dealership and yes we used to do the same thing. There is a difference between required maintenance and recommended maintenance. We were just recommending the upsale portions. My Ford dealer does the same thing.

Basically what is the easiest to do is look in your manual for the Kia required service for your mileage and just ask for those services, ie. LOF, tire rotation, filters. All the rest of those things the checks are supposed to be done by the service department anyway. If you just say 30k service they are going to give you the suggested service. Unless your getting your fuel from south of the border I don’t know anyone who needs the fuel conditioner every 7.5k. Almost every brand of fuel sold here from a branded fuel station is a Tier1 fuel. I tell them in the service department that I just want what is REQUIRED in the Kia service manual for my vehicle.

·
Registered
238 Posts
On some cars are they cleaning the intake valves? I haven't looked at my book yet, but it is possible to have oil cooked onto the intake valves in that short of a period.

Reminding me that I need to get a catch can installed ASAP.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
786 Posts
On some cars are they cleaning the intake valves? I haven't looked at my book yet, but it is possible to have oil cooked onto the intake valves in that short of a period.

Reminding me that I need to get a catch can installed ASAP.
Hey Greg_E, please fill out your "drives info" as it helps everyone know what you are driving and asking about. I think the "point" is that all that "upsale" is not required maintenance. I always tell my Kia dealer,when they pull out their upsale service books that it is not required by Kia.

http://www.kisouman.com/normal_maintenance_schedule-753.html

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So end of the story is that I paid $119.62 for the service ($80 off since I do my own air filters), and they didn't try to upsell me. Now I know why getting an appointment at this dealership is so hard, they aren't trying to rip people off.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,606 Posts
So end of the story is that I paid $119.62 for the service ($80 off since I do my own air filters), and they didn't try to upsell me. Now I know why getting an appointment at this dealership is so hard, they aren't trying to rip people off.
Good job james! Do you mind if I ask what exactly they did for $119?

For kicks here's a video of 2 dudes doing a 50k service in a Gen2 Soul:

Reactions: flowerinameadow

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Why is a 30k service supposed to be something Special? [and so expensive]

That was my 10th Oil Change, when I check the entire car over, from bumper to bumper. My only expense was for the expendables/consumables that I used. That was no different than any other oil change that I've done for the past six years.

Granted, not every Soul owner/driver is a mechanical engineer or even a Gear-head and cannot perform their own maintenance, so they need to take their car to a professional.... preferably a certified Kia dealer.

But for those who are physically able to do their own auto maintenance, there is a lot to be gained from just DIY.
Besides saving a lot of money, by doing my own Auto Maintenance, it also gives me a really great feeling of self accomplishment.

Turkey day.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good job james! Do you mind if I ask what exactly they did for $119?

For kicks here's a video of 2 dudes doing a 50k service in a Gen2 Soul:

Oil change, tire rotation, and full inspection. Here is their inspection sheet. TBH prolly a bit of an overpay, but at least I completed it & if i have warranty issues I can blame them.

IMG_20181117_100449987_1.jpg

·
Registered
71 Posts
I dont get worked up too much as I know the Service Center is there to help the bottom line.
I tell them what I want and and what I dont want, I am very courteous to them, and it works 99% of the time.

When they start the whole "cabin filter" for $40(ish) I remind them I can get the filter for $10 and takes 2 min to install. They can do it for $20 and we have a deal. Has not worked yet. :joyous:

I have not had an unpleasant experience yet.

Now, as for that 30K "service" I am on top of what my car is doing, my career has made me that way. So unless they are turning wrenches ( i.e. inspecting valves and other internals) 30K is an oil change LOL

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why is a 30k service supposed to be something Special? [and so expensive]

Besides saving a lot of money, by doing my own Auto Maintenance, it also gives me a really great feeling of self accomplishment.
I hear ya and have done most of my maintenance /repairs my entire life, but I'm about to turn 60 have arthritis in my lower back, need both knees replaced and bunion surgery on both feet . I just don't like bending over /crawling under cars anymore. I'll do it, but at $180 for the service I was OK with it especially with a tire rotation, which is a pain at home.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts