Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Did you purchase using Cash for Clunkers?

• Yes I purchased my Soul using Cash for Clunkers.

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • No I purchased it without Cash for Clunkers.

Votes: 28 43.1%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know the exact number of us that bought our Soul's through the Cash for Clunkers program. Partially because I just want to know and partially because I am getting flamed on my old car's forum for buying a foreign car. I'll admit not the most enlightened bunch of Chevy owners. But as someone else has said here in another thread try to find an American made car for this price with these options for most importantly THIS PRICE!! :D

Back on topic. :) Please vote yes or no so I can get an accurate number of just how many of us used the Cash for Clunkers.

·
Banned
288 Posts
I did, and I completely agree with you. Take for example Ford. They only have 2 vehicles that start way under $20,000: Focus and Ranger. Not a very good selection.

And I don't care whether or not I buy American or foreign, they're all cars to me, and I'm going to choose the best one that fits me, not one that's made in a certain country.

And besides, many of the American cars are built in Mexico so they're a bit hypocritical.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I did and I also agree with you. My clunker was a '86 Ford Bronco with 190K miles. Lots of car/features for the price!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did - and I traded in my old Chevy C20 Pickup. GM , Ford and Chrysler had nothing competitive in the sub $20K price range - even with their end of year discounts on 2009 models.

I count 14 people so far that reported using C4C on this forum.

Ask your Chevy Crowd where their "Chevy" is made. See of they have a clue. Also ask them what percentage of the content of their Chevy is actually made in America. Next ask them who all produces cars for GM and then puts "Chevy" badging on them.

My 2000 GMC Yukon XL along with the Chevy Suburbans are made in Mexico.

Ask them how many new production plants Chevy has built in America in the last 20 years, and how many new production plants GM has built in China and South America. Ask them where Kia is building their newest production facility {give them a hint - Georgia}.

Tell them that Automobile Manufacturers are of the "Global Community" today and none of them care one bit about the citizens of any Country - there are no "AMERICAN" Automobile Companies today. Only companies that American Tax Payers are supporting so they can build Buicks in China.

Nothing wrong with liking Chevy or GM - just don't be suckered into believing that GM is any longer an "American" company. A great deal of it is now owned by Canada, the United Auto Workers and the U.S. Federal Government - "Americans" can't even buy stock in the company any longer.

There are no "American Cars", only cars made in America or not.

I'll buy any car that turns me on - from any manufacturer - the most "American" thing we can do is encourage free and open markets, encourage honest competition and reward the winners.

FWIW,
Carl B.
1991 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe
2000 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Kia Soul
Plus several Datsun 240Z's and a 510 S/W

Previously Owned - but SOLD
My 1970 SS 396 El Camino was featured in several Books and Magazines
My 1969 428 Cobra Jet -Cougar Eliminator was featured in several Books and Magazines

·
Registered
387 Posts
I did - and I traded in my old Chevy C20 Pickup. GM , Ford and Chrysler had nothing competitive in the sub $20K price range - even with their end of year discounts on 2009 models.

I count 14 people so far that reported using C4C on this forum.

Ask your Chevy Crowd where their "Chevy" is made. See of they have a clue. Also ask them what percentage of the content of their Chevy is actually made in America. Next ask them who all produces cars for GM and then puts "Chevy" badging on them.

My 2000 GMC Yukon XL along with the Chevy Suburbans are made in Mexico.

Ask them how many new production plants Chevy has built in America in the last 20 years, and how many new production plants GM has built in China and South America. Ask them where Kia is building their newest production facility {give them a hint - Georgia}.

Tell them that Automobile Manufacturers are of the "Global Community" today and none of them care one bit about the citizens of any Country - there are no "AMERICAN" Automobile Companies today. Only companies that American Tax Payers are supporting so they can build Buicks in China.

Nothing wrong with liking Chevy or GM - just don't be suckered into believing that GM is any longer an "American" company. A great deal of it is now owned by Canada, the United Auto Workers and the U.S. Federal Government - "Americans" can't even buy stock in the company any longer.

There are no "American Cars", only cars made in America or not.

I'll buy any car that turns me on - from any manufacturer - the most "American" thing we can do is encourage free and open markets, encourage honest competition and reward the winners.

FWIW,
Carl B.
1991 Ford Thunderbird Super Coupe
2000 GMC Yukon XL
2010 Kia Soul
Plus several Datsun 240Z's and a 510 S/W

Previously Owned - but SOLD
My 1970 SS 396 El Camino was featured in several Books and Magazines
My 1969 428 Cobra Jet -Cougar Eliminator was featured in several Books and Magazines
Well played sir, well played. I'm buying mine with $16000 Cash, and the rest is financing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
count me in too. I traded my 1989 Plymouth Grand voyager in on the "Cash for Clunkers" deal and have to agree that there is no way in hell you can find a car with all the features our Soul's have for the price. We've owned a lot of cars, but none of our American ones can hold a handle to both of our foreign trucks. The current Toyota has 276,000 miles and is still going strong. I love my Kia Soul!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'm trying! (but I still voted yes). It's a 1990 Chevy S10 that's going to the scrap. I generally like GM but have owned everything from a right hand drive Postal Jeep to a Yugo and Mustang to Camaro. Hopefully in a few days I can add Kia to the list!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was already sold on the Soul and planned to trade in a POS Dodge Caravan in the November/December time frame.

The Cash for Clunkers program just accelerated my plans and got me about $1,500 more for the minivan than the best trade-in offer I had.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded in a wonderful 92 Chevy Lumina APV on the "cash for clunkers" program. It was ugly, like a spaceship on wheels, but it ran flawlessly for 190,000 miles. The body was fiberglass and looked like new, but everytime I jacked it up more of the frame would fall off. I have the part that says "Put jack here" in my garage!

We also have a high milegae Saturn which is very dependable and economical, but we love the KIA. We needed something high for my wife to get in and out of easily and the Soul was priced right and is definately easy on the eyes. We wouldn't have bought without the 3500 from the CARS program, and we're glad to give KIA a try.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I traded in a wonderful 92 Chevy Lumina APV on the "cash for clunkers" program. It was ugly, like a spaceship on wheels, but it ran flawlessly for 190,000 miles. The body was fiberglass and looked like new, but everytime I jacked it up more of the frame would fall off. I have the part that says "Put jack here" in my garage!

We also have a high milegae Saturn which is very dependable and economical, but we love the KIA. We needed something high for my wife to get in and out of easily and the Soul was priced right and is definately easy on the eyes. We wouldn't have bought without the 3500 from the CARS program, and we're glad to give KIA a try.
I loved my 92 Lumina APV! Mine was gold color so we called it "dustbuster" After the trans went out a second time it was time to move on. On the plus side I still have the European spec. tails I never got to put n it. We moved to a 99 Grand Voyager and it served us well but the A/C went out and we live in South Florida and it's just to darn hot in S. Fla to drive with out it. And the motor started rattling so this program came up at the correct moment. As for the chevy guys I don't pay them no mind because if it isn't their taste they bag on it. I LOVE MY SOUL! and in the end that is the only opinion that matters. :cool:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I turned in my old Lexus RX300, 222,000 miles, starting to have too many problems, both electrical and mechanical. It was a good ride, and we needed something with 4 doors. Couldn't accept any of the generic cars, and few have the features of the soul, especially for the price. My first KIA, and I am really happy with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did c4c program. 2000 Astro van traded for soul+. Got it for $500 off MSRP ( it had the stupid $2000 dealer mark up) . Happy so far,all 2 days of it. Now I just need to get a rack so I can put my kayak on it.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
got $4500 for 19 year old 4runner... rust was becoming an issue even though engine still ran like new.. can say if toyota made a 4runner half the size then i would have bought that over any other car - best vehicle i ever owned.. kept up with maintenance and drove the thing for 15 years before i had my first repair work done...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I count 21 that have mentioned using C4C - and the Poll currently shows 16. If the Senate approves the additional funding that number could go up quite a bit - or we were all thinking the same - "get in Early"...

Time will tell
Carl B.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I'm kinda surprised so many people used that program. I purchased mine too soon and I would have thought a lot of people here also didn't get to take advantage of that program?

·
Registered
384 Posts
The CFC took affect the end of July, so I would think the majority of Soul owners did not use CFC. Out of the 1666 or so members so far that is a small about of owners that used the program. But it is a good amount of clunker people choosing to go with their Soul.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hyundai owns Kia right?

Hyundai has been doing the cash for clunkers program since July 1. So I'm guessing it would go down to Kia's as well.

and yes I got my kia from cash for clunkers. but I bought it July 25.. opening weekend.

·
Banned
288 Posts
Hyundai owns Kia right?

Hyundai has been doing the cash for clunkers program since July 1. So I'm guessing it would go down to Kia's as well.

and yes I got my kia from cash for clunkers. but I bought it July 25.. opening weekend.
Hyundai only owns part of Kia now, they sold most of their share to other companies. So the "Hyundai Assurance", gas price-lock, and CFC advance doesn't apply.

But, ANY car dealer was able to accept CFC deals starting on July 1st. Hyundai just gave its dealers a backup "just in case".

·
Registered
21 Posts
I turned in a 93 Dodge Dakota v6 2wd, 243k miles, rode hard, put away wet, paint delamination, and recent damage from an 83 yr old man.

Kia Soul was the right combo of everything, space for my tall frame, space for my kids, space for my stuff, fuel economy, price, features, etc.

Just wish I could put a hitch on it.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I got my Soul before C4C and got about 3K for a my 94 Acura Vigor with pink accents w/over 200k on it. I don't know how I got them to give me that much for it. The pink mirrors, door handles, and gas tank was painted on. You can't miss it! The Acura doesn't even qualify for C4C so it would not have mattered anyways. That car got great gas mileage. Royal Purple kept it running.

I am so very much in love with my Soul!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts