Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my 2012 Soul+ but have had a few issues that have me questioning KIA's quality in relation to more established brands like Toyota, Honda etc.
Is KIA quality up to snuff in relation to other modern manufacturers? Any long term KIA owners out there?

·
Registered
842 Posts
you wont find many long term owners that like their kias as the previous models were absolute crap.
The recent generation of Kia is obviously built much better and dependable.
The cars you have listed were amazing in the 80s and 90s, not as great as they used to be, and with that said, kia was crap in the 90s and early 2000s but no so crappy now.

Anyways, My Soul have over 70,000 kms on it. I drive it approximately 1,200 km per week since July and have owned it for over 2 years now

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
some here have gotten high mileage within a year or so, but to date, i personally have not seen a kia beyond a few years old on the roads.... additionally, those that i know that have had a kia do seem to trade more frequently than those driving a toyota or honda etc... i myself just recently traded out of a 2+ year old soul with low mileage (18k) and can say that in addition to a trans problem at purchase, i had also noticed the car was losing some of its tightness along with an increase in rattles, which has been discussed in earlier threads...so imo, the car isn't designed to last for years like some other manufacturers but mine was one of the first generations and was also living outside in the elements so might be different if garaged...

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Klas you won't find too many members here who owned a Kia more then a few years because they own Souls, being this is a Soul forum, and Souls have only been out since 2009.

I know a quite a few people that have owned several Kia's ( and they run them well past 100,000)

I currently have 60,500km and over 2 years of hard driving on my Kia and it is running well and has never had ANY issue.

You have posted the issues with your Soul that you got rid of several times and I am not sure why you continue to post it over and over. Every manufacture and every model has a few with issues. Are you trying to make people feel bad about their purchase?

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
^^ soul sailor - the poster asked "Is KIA quality up to snuff in relation to other modern manufacturers?"

as far as high mileage my answer was "yes"...

but as for longevity my answer was "no",

and this has been discussed in other threads and i am not the first or only one to state that i had noticed the car was losing its tightness or an increase in rattles... additionally, i pointed out that my car was one of the first generations and was living outside so give me a break and stop trying to make this about something other than what it is....

ps - after thought - apologize if ref to trans issue at purchase is what got you going but that wasn't my answer and why it was prefaced the way it was, and maybe i should have left that out lol

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I bought my Soul cos i drove a 5 year old Kia and it felt like a brand new car. My Soul is now 2 years old with 26k on the clock and is driving better now than it did at new.

·
Registered
456 Posts
My friend at work drives a Kia Sephia, Not sure what year but it has over 150K on the clock and still rolling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had 4 hyundais and currently have a soul...

The cars are built decently but there are some older models you see on the road around here more than others. For example, I see many many good condition 2002-2005 sonatas on the road currently. Not so much the elantra and accent.

My soul is paid off. Not sure if I will keep it until the wheels fall off but I may try Honda or Toyota next time.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I've had 4 hyundais and currently have a soul...

The cars are built decently but there are some older models you see on the road around here more than others. For example, I see many many good condition 2002-2005 sonatas on the road currently. Not so much the elantra and accent.

My soul is paid off. Not sure if I will keep it until the wheels fall off but I may try Honda or Toyota next time.
I'm in the opposite direction. I'm retiring my 2000 Honda Civic today and switching to the Soul full-time tomorrow. I loved its reliability, but Civics seem to have all the personality and fun of a toaster. My wife has a 2007 Civic, and is thinking about switching to the Soul too.

·
Registered
133 Posts
A friend of mine has a 12 year old Kia Sephia with around 180k on it. My roommate in college had a Hyundai which she drove for 10 years, and got 200K before it died. She almost bought a Soul, but there weren't any available and she couldn't wait so she opted for another Sonata.
I had a Toyota Echo (Yaris) for 9 years and had 108k when I traded it in, it was sold that same afternoon. I would have kept that, but it did not do well in the snow.

·
Registered
690 Posts
My Soul is now 2 years old with 26k on the clock and is driving better now than it did at new.
mine just past 20k and it seems to be smoother than ever and I don't have any "noise/rattle" issue. even the Nexon tires are wearing evenly and everything is in working order. AT issue was addressed with the TSB [reprogram] and its good as any 4speed AT will get.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
In the UK the Soul has a 7 year or 100,000 miles warranty.... so i assume that is the minimum to expect from it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My '90 Accord had 240,000kms when I sold it - going strong.

My '91 Prelude had 400,000+ kms on it when I sold it. Needed some work, but still ran strong.

My '02 Subaru Impreza needed $4000 in engine work at 145,000kms - I was NOT impressed.

From what all the car writers are saying, Hyundai and Kia are really giving the Japanese a run for their money these days in quality and value. Kia especially has been said to have come a very long way.

I'd like 200,000kms from my Soul, please.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kia reliability/longevity

I had a 2001 Kia Rio, and recently passed it on to my son. It has 220K on it, and still going strong. There were some issues with it (mainly a timing belt interference engine and wheel bearing issues) but all in all it was very reliable. My wife bought it new in 2000 for $9,000.00. Not bad!

The 2012 Soul I recently purchased is night and day a much better engineered product. Kia has learned, and big brother Hyundai has helped in that effort. That coupled with the timing chain, warranty, and roadside assistance all for under 14K is a no brainer.

Try that with a RAV4 or Matrix, not happening!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's good to see some examples of KIA longevity.

When I purchased my Soul KIA's past reputation gave me pause. However, I had also heard of vast improvements made by the manufacturer over the years and every professional review of the KIA Soul was positive. You can't beat the power-train warranty and I'm hoping the vehicle proves to be of similar quality to the other big manufacturers. Time will tell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had a 2001 Kia Rio, and recently passed it on to my son. It has 220K on it, and still going strong. There were some issues with it (mainly a timing belt interference engine and wheel bearing issues) but all in all it was very reliable. My wife bought it new in 2000 for $9,000.00. Not bad!

The 2012 Soul I recently purchased is night and day a much better engineered product. Kia has learned, and big brother Hyundai has helped in that effort. That coupled with the timing chain, warranty, and roadside assistance all for under 14K is a no brainer.

Try that with a RAV4 or Matrix, not happening!
That's amazing, especially for a budget car!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I see PLENTY of older Kia's on the roads here in Houston. Lots of students on campus drive Spectras (after reading the reviews, i refused to even test drive one. they were discontinued for a reason lol). I also see lots of pre 2008 Rio's, Sportages, Optima's, and Sedona's.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts