Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2010, Kia Soul +, 5-spd
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from the shop. They said not only did the clutch go, but it took my transmission with it. How is that possible? other than the gearshift rattled in fourth gear once in a great while, everything was fine. I'm so confused. Can anyone please give me insight into what might have happened? 2010 Kia Soul Sport Wagon (aka Kia Soul + with 5spd manual)

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,409 Posts
How many miles on your 2010 Soul?

·
Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
350 Posts
What exactly is said to be wrong with the trans? Bearings, Gears, or ? The only way I can see off the top of my bald head is basically user error(not pushing the clutch in all the way for example while shifting) Lower mileage car might also be parts failure due to bad manufacturing process or assembly.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
With so little information here and you'll only be met with conjecture and speculation.
Provide the details from said 'shop" and better advice will be forthcoming!
If the transmission shifts fine and the noise was acceptable and/or the mileage is high you may just want to replace the clutch (pressure plate, friction plate, throw out bearing) and call it a day!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The only thing I would guess is maybe some damage to the transmission input shaft. Beyond that the only purpose of the clutch is to couple/decouple the transmission from the engine. It's either coupled or it's not. Perhaps some catastrophic pressure plate damage could tear up the input shaft or get jammed between the input shaft and bellhousing such that the jam was essentially like stopping the vehicle flat while the transmission was coupled to the wheels. But that sounds pretty far fetched.

What exactly are they claiming the damage is? There's no such thing as "let go" and "took the transmission with it". There's only specific damage - the clutch disc is burned; the pressure plate springs are broken; the input shaft bearing is destroyed. ETC.

·
Registered
2010, Kia Soul +, 5-spd
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the info I've been given so far, Clutch pressure plate is toast, syncro in 4th gear, which i knew about but wasn't too worried, and car has 194,538 miles on it. Said they will give me more info on monday..... we shall see. I've driven a sick for years, never crunched gear, car DID have a bad Master and Slave cylinder, and were replaced as soon as it was discovered. When the clutch went, it made a weird whirring noise and then a couple pop noises.

·
Registered
2010, Kia Soul +, 5-spd
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At 194k miles it's par for the course, so far.
I figured as such, i just wasn't expecting them to tell me the transmission was toasted too :( Friend told me I should look up this, "Kianda, Little Devil - The K-swapped Kia Soul" and do that to my car, and i'm like, NOPE. If I'm doing an engine/ECM/Transmission swap, I want at least 250hp LOL

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I figured as such, i just wasn't expecting them to tell me the transmission was toasted too :( Friend told me I should look up this, "Kianda, Little Devil - The K-swapped Kia Soul" and do that to my car, and i'm like, NOPE. If I'm doing an engine/ECM/Transmission swap, I want at least 250hp LOL
Better Up your life insurance as well...

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
JC said: "I figured as such, i just wasn't expecting them to tell me the transmission was toasted too"

You gotta keep in mind what/who you are dealing with.
If you need to bring it in, they think you don't know anything about cars and will run most anything up the flagpole to see if you salute it.

·
Registered
2010, Kia Soul +, 5-spd
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
04082019_144128_0001.jpg 04082019_144128_0002.jpg 04082019_144004_0001.jpg

Here are the pictures I was given. Brother looked at them, and said it looks like the splines on rounded off. Not feeling good about this :(

·
Registered
243 Posts
Splines look fine to me. Here is a pic of a Sportage trans for the same engine, and they look the same.

They're probably referring to the collar that the release bearing sits on being galled up. This could be cleaned and sleeved if necessary to salvage the trans, or you could look into a junkyard replacement. I recently picked one up for $202 using Car-Part.com to find a yard with one 'near' me.

No matter what you do, I'd recommend upgrading the release bearing from the original part. There's 3 versions from what I can tell and you guessed it, we got the worst one. Here's the best one featuring nearly all metal parts.

·
Registered
2010, Kia Soul +, 5-spd
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:

Clutch Kit, Flywheel, Used Transmission, labor, axle seals: 1667.00

They ordered the parts and are fixing it. Loan company is financing the repairs at 0% interest. Fun.

·
Registered
279 Posts
All things considered, worn out clutch, 4th gear synchro problem, input shaft damage from seized up T/O Bearing, I think that is reasonable to get you back on the road.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
A good power washing would have given a better view of the transmission damage and/or its salvage-ability.
Is a 2010 soul with 195k even booking (N.A.D.A/K.B.B.) for 1667.00 I ask myself?
As a person who has kept more old motorcycles on life support then he could possibly recollect, I DO understand the rational though.

·
Registered
2010, Kia Soul +, 5-spd
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A good power washing would have given a better view of the transmission damage and/or its salvage-ability.
Is a 2010 soul with 195k even booking (N.A.D.A/K.B.B.) for 1667.00 I ask myself?
As a person who has kept more old motorcycles on life support then he could possibly recollect, I DO understand the rational though.
I ask myself that too, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
279 Posts
That trans does not have a typical bolt on input bearing retainer that the throw out bearing rides on. Its built into the foreword case.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts