Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as most of you know I have been on an ever-going quest to find a Denim Soul here in America. With the release of the Special Edition I was pleased, but disappointed at the price. I was originally going to get one in auto, but the price was just skyrocketing as the dealer learned more about the car. So it was at a point where I was looking into buying a Saturn Astra at a great price. However the same dealer has a Denim with a Manuel transmission, (they failed to tell me >_>) and it will be $1400 cheaper, thus allowing me to get a soul.

So from those out there with the Manuel. Is a good ride? Plus take into consideration I have never driven a stick outside of an hour of goofing around with an 1995 Honda Accord.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I love my 5 speed, it's a breeze to drive. You'll get the hang of it in no time

·
Registered
728 Posts
The manual transmission in Soul is very easy to drive... a nice manual transmission car for city traffic.

For the beginer it would be a very good and easy car to lean how to drive standard transmission. The clutch and the motor are very forgiving. The shifter is a little sloppy with big throws so it it tough to miss shift. All this makes it easy to drive.

As an experienced manual transmission driver (only ever owned standard transmission cars) I found that Soul's clutch could do with a lot more bite and I wish it had a six speed with a little more gearing overlap.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to here. I've asked my sister, and both parents, (all of which have driven stick) and they recommend it if I'm trying to save money. They claim within a day or two, I will get the hang of it. I'm inquiring, because my fall semester starts August 23rd, and I need to be on campus by the 20th.

All I can think about is about 2 years back, my sister stalling the Honda and backing up traffic. However I'm a coordinated guy and knows the works of a car, thanks for the advice. I might walk out with the Denim by next week :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
With the exception of antique cars and some modern cars with difficult transmissions, driving stick isn't difficult at all.

Will you stall it some? Sure, everyone does sometimes even after years of driving. Will people honk at you? Sure. But screw them, you're driving your car, not taking a ride in it.

I wish my SO could drive stick so we could have gone with the 5-speed, lol.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well guys, just called them up and they transferred my $500 deposit to it. I now will be picking up one of maybe 100 Manuel denim Soul's by mid next week. Pics and a Youtube video will ensue!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Manual transmission

My alien green runs great. It took me a while to get use to the position of the reverse gear. Is different from the 2005 Scion I own. Sometimes get confused. Anyways, I had my Soul for almost a month and happy with it so far...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only thing about my soul manual is that it rolls back really easy on hills. My Civic doesn't roll back as fast as the soul. It's not really bad or anything, it just took some getting used to it.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will be finally and I mean it this time guys. I really am going to be driving home with my long lost Denim Tomorrow, and if something prevents me from going to the dealer, no later then Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2,358 Posts
You have him?
Are you happy with it?
Yes you have him I know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts