Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Well, I guess I'll never ask a simple question again. It seems like just too much of a chore for this crowd.

Take it easy getting them groceries. Ya don't want to break something. lol

:cool:
No such thing as a simple question

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have hit said limit in a soul. A 2014! will do 125. Although it was very stable, I won't be doing that again, that was a very expensive ticket. So now you know, don't try it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have hit 104 in my 2018 Soul plus. Not intentionally. But was entering the highway, had a rude Mustang on my rear bumper as I came onto the on ramp. A glance over my shoulder showed a big truck in the near lane and I could see tires of another vehicle on the other side of the truck. So I tromped on the accelerator, holding it to the floor.

Sassy was in Drive mode ( as opposed to sportmatic). Sport style ( as opposed to eco or normal).

Transmission dropped down 21 gears, engine growled and away we went!

In a blink I was way in front of the semi and the rude yellow mustang was a speck in my rearview mirror!

Sassy was still climbing up the speedometer and driving with ease. I glanced down to check my speed, expecting to see high 80's.

But nope, we were at 104 and she still wanted to go faster!

I did not.

I eased off the gas and hit the cruise control at a legal 70 mph.

The rude yellow mustang eventually caught up and rode shotgun for a while, revving his car, attempting to goad me into a race.

Nope, not into road races. I simply needed to get onto the highway in a hurry!

This little car is quite snooty, and will surprise many drivers.

Just this morning, again getting on the highway, a black mustang attempted to jump ahead of my merge lane.

Sassy said, "no, no" and left the 'stang wondering WTF?

Muscle cars hate being shown up by a four banger foreign car!

This might stick in their craw too:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
I've had my Gen 1 up to 110 mph....

Reactions: abelaxe

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
You're just gonna have to take your Soul to some top secret test area and let 'er rip.
Let us know what'll it do. :victorious:
I found one of them kinda out of the way stretches of blacktop a while back and just "Let'er Rip!".
In normal mode, she slowly climbed up to 115 mph...then I remembered that the road ended in a right turn, posted at 35 mph. OH crap! Jem took that corner nicely at 71 mph and I was doing all I could to slow her down without locking up the brakes. I wasn't certain, at that point whether I was driving a Soul, or a Corvette.
Just in case no-one has mentioned it, the 2020 Soul has Very Good Brakes!

I've heard a lot about "Limiters" , but I know of NO speed limiter on my Soul, only a Rev-Limiter on the engine. In high gear (6) she will stop accelerating long before the tach would hit the Rev-Limiter.
I think it's hilarious, that Kia takes the horsepower rating right before the rev-limiter kicks in. So to get the rated BHP out of your engine, you have to run it at 6200 rpm. Ain't that a riot? !!!

At the risk of being called a Liar, again, you can put an IVT into Manual shift mode and once you've reached highway cruising speed, you can bump it up to 7th gear and then to 8th gear....a nice Over-Drive.
I did that going into town on I-75 on Monday, and I was cruising nicely at 83 mph, just keeping up with traffic, turning 2400 rpm and my Scan Gauge said I was getting 34 mpg. Gertrude never did that!

I loved my little 1.6L Soul, but her MPG would fall off dramatically above 65 mph.

To you fellow bikers, my fastest ride ever was on a '58 HD Sportster, nic-named "The Stroker".
It had no windshield, or faring, and I had no helmet or gloves on. Going from third gear to 4th gear, she wanted to get up and walk on her back tire. DANG! I topped her out at 147 mph.

But the most fun ever, was touring Europe on a 1951 BMW R51/3.
BMWinAlps2.jpg

If the pic shows up...it was taken high up in the Swiss Alps.
Thirty days, and 6000 k's. Now, that's a ride!

Happy Motoring, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
On my Turbo the speedometer goes to 160 mph.

I have no idea how fast the rest of the car can go!

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's been quite a while since I re-visited this thread.
In the mean time, I found that long, flat piece of highway where I could just let Jem have her fun.
I've had a few more oil changes, and added a K&N Air Cleaner since my last run on that same road.
This time, my little Jem got up to an even 120 mph, before I had to shut her down for a right turn in the road.
Answering that age old question "what'll she do?" just never gets old. Fun, even!
Now that I've done it, I have no reason to do it again. I'm happy with 120mph, on my little 2.0L four-banger.
I've still not timed the zero to sixty, but I know it's FAST! I kinda do that every time I have to pull out of my subdivision onto the Highway, with traffic moving at 55+. It's just a matter of putting the pedal to the metal (full throttle) and then hang on for dear life, because she takes off like a scalded cat!
Dang, this 2020 Soul is a lot of fun to drive!
I'm still anxious to get my Jem on a 'Dyno Jet' (wheel dyno) just to see how she performs.
I did that with my 2013 Soul, and she really surprised both me and the Dyno operator.

Happy Trails, Mates

·
Registered
867 Posts
Soul Fast? Not in my book, peppy yes. Fast, no. I do like it for what it is.

Wanna meet for a smoking? Err, "test"? :whistle:
No, I have not tested it's top speed, the wind gets intense by 130 or so.
The fun part is buzzing the curves and using the torque to blast out of them.

IMG_1587.JPG

·
Registered
66 Posts
Car and Driver claim the 2.0 is electronically governed to 120mph.

I suspect 120 is all it would do anyway as back in 98 I had the first Ford Focus which was a 2.0L 5 speed that had 130bhp, so around 10 less than the Soul but better aerodynamics and that had an official top speed of 125 which I did hit. So based on that I suspect the non turbo 2.0L Soul wouldn’t do more than 120 even with no limiter, maybe 125 on a really good day but I doubt it as aerodynamics are critical at those speeds. (As perhaps evidenced by the GT Turbo which according to C&D tops out at 128mph with 200bhp)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'd still like to put my 2020 Soul on a Wheel Dyno, like the Dyno Jet, like I did with my 2013 Soul.

Remember that was just a little 1.6L engine and an AT.

I didn't know what to think about that, but the two Dyno Operators were dancing around and High Fiving each other. They had no idea that a little 1.6L engine could perform like that.
My little 'Gertrude' was screaming like a banshee. I heard her do that quite often, out on the roads.
That was a great little car!

That company is now out of business, so I'll have to find a different place to get my Jem Dyno Tested.
I'd like to see her run on a Dyno, where wind resistance has no effect on performance.

Cheers mates!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Takes too long and too much distance to get up over 100.....requires too much time. Don't need a reckless driving ticket

·
Registered
503 Posts
What will my 2020 LX ITV do? It will get me where I'm going, in comfort, at whatever speed I choose to drive. I almost never choose a speed higher than 75 MPH.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 2020 Kia Soul EV Limited.

201 horsepower and 291 lb-ft of torque.

Zero-to-sixty in about six seconds in sport mode. I've had her up to about 140kph.

At the end of this video (not mine) the Soul EV is at 176 kph (110 miles per hour).

21 - 40 of 92 Posts