Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While riding in my wife's '12 Soul the other day, I noticed three small dots right below the arm riser/assist handle on the passenger side. What I believe had happened is that I probably had a small dot of grease on the back of my hand and had held onto this passenger assist while in the car. The back of my hand rubbed onto the headliner and transferred a dot of grease directly onto the headliner. Actually it was three small dots of grease that were transferred to the felt (not sure of the headliner material). I thought I could simply take some upholstery cleaner and quickly brush away the grease stains. When we got home from our drive I got a can of the standard upholster cleaner to spray onto the dots and remove them by rubbing that headliner with the supplied brush on the cannister. Well, the area was dampened as the foam came out, but the material began seperating very easily. It now looks like a sweater that has to have a razor trimmer taken to it, as the spot has worsoned and the crummy headliner material looks like it is coming apart. It actually looks worse than with just the three small grease dots. I can't think of any way to correct this and I imagine a new headliner is gonna' cost a bundle to replace. I imagine it would all happen very similar if someone had a Coke or soft drink accidentally spew up onto the headliner.

Is there any way to salvage the headliner without replacement? What is the proper way to clean a headliner with this sort of material should there be an accidental spill? It is my fault, but I am really ticked at how flimsy the material is that is used in the headliner. Never expected such a problem with a new car, but this is what happened. :-(

Any tips on headliner cleaning for any future problems? Any tips on a way to correct what had been done? Any idea what a new headliner is goona' cost? I already gave up my first born son, when we had to buy a gallon of gasoline this past week. :)

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Take the car to a professional car detailer and ask their advice, the roof lining is terribly easy to mark and the more you will try the worse it will look. Sorry.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup, found that out the hard way, for sure.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
if it was my situation I would call my dealer and find out from their detail people how to clean it correctly. They get people in to fix up there new and used vehicles for sale and generally know what works and what doesn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts