Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Soul is suppose to be a 2015 Exclaim model but the car doesn’t feel like it has a 2.0L engine. I’m also getting around 34mpg mixed driving with mostly highway. I just don’t feel it’s a 2.0 and even when I do the verify vin check the engine is not specified. The Engine cover has GDI on it. It does have the exclaim wheels, and many options found on the exclaim including leather. But I question if it’s a 2.0L. The dealer I got it from was also a bit shady and I do not fully trust them. So going by their word isn’t an option.

If it is a 2.0L I want to add a supercharger. If it is not a 2.0L can I return it to the dealer or sue the dealer since they committed fraud by telling me it is an exclaim model?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If the description says exclaim and it's not, yes, it is fraud. Try this site, it is pretty detailed: Vehicle History Report

Not sure about the whole supercharger or even a turbocharger, sounds expensive. Might as well upgrade to a turbo model.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The 5th digit of the VIN will tell you what model came off the assembly line: in U.S. 2nd gens it's typically N for base, P for Plus, X for Exclaim. The 8th digit will tell you which engine: 2 for the 1.6, 5 for the 2.0. To be sure that your Soul has the correct engine, grab a flashlight and look for the engine number. You can find the locations and what each digit means here: Kia Soul: Identification Numbers - General Information - Kia Soul 2014-2018 PS Service Manual

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok by Vin it checks out as an exclaim model as the 5th digit is an X and the eight digit is a 5. Seems a bit sluggish off the line but perhaps that is just the 160hp not being very much. Wish there was a supercharger kit for this car. Seems to be a lot of space there to put one. With decent boost and the light 2800 pound chassis performance would be great.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,536 Posts
The 2017 and beyond Exclaims are turbo charged bokay. Would you consider moving up to one of them? 201hp.

I'd at least suggest going in and test driving one and see if it gives you the speed you like.

Your mixed mileage of 34mpg is pretty dang good. Don't forget to throw a bottle of Techron (or similar product) in before a fill up from time to time. It may help with performance a bit.

Keep us posted on your journey and if you can, upload some pics of your 2015!

All the best.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
are you driving it with the Active Eco button on? That makes it sluggish. The 2.0L is far from a sluggish engine, but then it depends what you drove before.

Easiest way to tell a 2.0L vs a 1.6L engine, is the 2.0L has the yellow dipstick T-handle in the middle of the engine cover, the 1.6L dipstick is off to one side.

·
Registered
608 Posts
are you driving it with the Active Eco button on? That makes it sluggish. The 2.0L is far from a sluggish engine, but then it depends what you drove before.

Easiest way to tell a 2.0L vs a 1.6L engine, is the 2.0L has the yellow dipstick T-handle in the middle of the engine cover, the 1.6L dipstick is off to one side.

In XxHaimbondxX's it's behind the steering wheel.... :ridiculed:

·
Registered
148 Posts
In XxHaimbondxX's it's behind the steering wheel.... :ridiculed:
This reminds me of a conversation I had with the ex after he'd been driving my classic Grandville for a couple of weeks. He was fueling up while I checked the oil, which the old girl definitely liked.

Me: Why is the oil half a quart low? You were supposed to check it every time you filled up.

Him: I couldn't find the dipstick.

Me: Wait, you drove my car for two weeks without knowing how to check the oil and didn't tell me? Finding the dipstick is easy, currently it's standing behind the car putting fuel in the tank. :numbness: :playful:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ok by Vin it checks out as an exclaim model as the 5th digit is an X and the eight digit is a 5. Seems a bit sluggish off the line but perhaps that is just the 160hp not being very much. Wish there was a supercharger kit for this car. Seems to be a lot of space there to put one. With decent boost and the light 2800 pound chassis performance would be great.
Sounds like our 2014+ 2.0L model = very sluggish off the line. Geo had posted a TSB for a fuel line pressure repair that might help with yours. Mine always felt it was either fuel-starved or fuel-saturated (or simply didn't have enough torque), so hopefully the fuel line fix will help.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,651 Posts
These cars are not rockets. That said, my 2.0 would get rubber off the line with summer or winter tires and in fact I goaded a Mustang into taking off like a jackrabbit (he might have anyway, it was on Oakwood Blvd in Dearborn, MI, lots of Ford guys there and lots of people in that area like to race anyway) when I punched it at a light and got a chirp. My current 1.6 does not get rubber.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Take a picture and post it. We'll be able to tell you if it's a 2.0L or 1.6L in a heartbeat.
I traded my 2016 2.0L in on a 2018 1.6L Turbo. Night and day difference. It's not even the same vehicle to drive. Love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like our 2014+ 2.0L model = very sluggish off the line. Geo had posted a TSB for a fuel line pressure repair that might help with yours. Mine always felt it was either fuel-starved or fuel-saturated (or simply didn't have enough torque), so hopefully the fuel line fix will help.

Greg
Yes I’m use to a CRV 2014 so that has a good 20hp and probably more torque than this guy. It’s more of a lack of torque for me. I prefer more torque but think its best to leave the car stock for longevity. Anyone try a aftermarket air intake?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Soul 2.0 L isn’t especially quick off the line, but comes alive above 3,000 rpm. I wouldn’t say my 2017 Plus with 2.0 feels fast, but it does feel responsive and very capable. I’ve had cars that were quicker from a stop, but I feel like the power on the soul kicks in at the right time for merging and passing on the highway.

Maybe the CRV hit its power band at a lower rpm. You could try the sportmatic shifting mode, where you shift gears manually, and see if it ups the fun factor. My 2017 Plus has a “sport” drive mode I select on the steering wheel which holds the gears longer and makes for quicker acceleration. I don’t know if the 2015 has that, but if not, you could try using the sportmatic shifting to the same effect. (I find the sportmatic more fun in theory than reality, and it’s not a substitute for the control you have over the car with an actual manual transmission, but it might make your soul more enjoyable to you.).

Also make sure you don’t have the active Eco on. Your MPG is high, a lot of people seem to get more like 26-28 mpg in mixed driving conditions — I wonder if your car is in active eco mode and the indicator isn’t lit? The Eco drive mode in my car drives me bonkers — too boring. If yours was in Eco mode, I would really understand why you’d find it lackluster.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Soul Plus is quicker than the Soul Exclaim off the line for the first 3 seconds. Then the Exclaim will eventually get over that turbo lag and eventually pass the Plus. The Exclaim is only fast on the Freeway just like my '16 Forester XT but slow from the dig.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

I believe that’s 1st gen only, 2nd gen engines are all GDI though. Here is a pic.

https://ibb.co/hBBz39

1 - 16 of 16 Posts