Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a steering wheel for the volume controls and was hoping cruise would work since I saw another post of somebody getting his 2012 to work with just the wheel. I was skeptical as 2011 is drive by cable but it also has traction control so hoped there was some electronics in the throttle body. Sadly no, I see the cruise servos on ebay for cheap but not sure if they even have the wiring for them. Is it possible to add the cruise, if so what parts would be needed?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
use the search engine as this has been done by many members and covered in detail.
Tried that with no luck. Plenty of posts on 2012s and up, several threads about Rostra after market cruise. Not my first forum, I probably belong to about at least 50 of them had several cars over the years.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,759 Posts
Hey Brusk, can you tell if the cruise switch in the steering wheel has wiring that connects to the clock spring?

On my 2014, I just needed a new "wiring harness" that basically added that missing cruise wire/plug. It went from 3 wire harness (radio/phone/trip computer) to 4 wires (adding cruise).

I doubt the harness that came with your Soul contained a cruise control connection needed for the new steering wheel to talk to your onboard CC. You might even be able to jury rig one if you can't find the correct harness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Brusk, can you tell if the cruise switch in the steering wheel has wiring that connects to the clock spring?

On my 2014, I just needed a new "wiring harness" that basically added that missing cruise wire/plug. It went from 3 wire harness (radio/phone/trip computer) to 4 wires (adding cruise).

I doubt the harness that came with your Soul contained a cruise control connection needed for the new steering wheel to talk to your onboard CC. You might even be able to jury rig one if you can't find the correct harness.
The new steering wheel I added does have all the wiring and the pins in the clock spring are also there. The biggest problem I see is the 2010-2011 had drive by cable setup which would also require a cruise servo which I can find on ebay for about $30. I don't know if the wiring and mounting points are available though on the 1.6.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,759 Posts
The new steering wheel I added does have all the wiring and the pins in the clock spring are also there. The biggest problem I see is the 2010-2011 had drive by cable setup which would also require a cruise servo which I can find on ebay for about $30. I don't know if the wiring and mounting points are available though on the 1.6.
I see what you're saying brusk. It was weird that there is alot of Cruise Control info regarding 2012 and on. Sorry I can't be of much help. It sounds like you are on the right track. Best of luck to you.

I got my CC parts here. Don't know if this is of any help?

2011 Kia Soul Auto Cruise Control - Kia Parts Now

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see what you're saying brusk. It was weird that there is alot of Cruise Control info regarding 2012 and on. Sorry I can't be of much help. It sounds like you are on the right track. Best of luck to you.

I got my CC parts here. Don't know if this is of any help?

2011 Kia Soul Auto Cruise Control - Kia Parts Now
That does help. It also looks like that it was a 2.0 engine option only. I'm unable to find any electrical connector in the area that it would be. Cruise wasn't a major concern just thought as cheap as parts are for these things if it was easy enough to add I would.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
That does help. It also looks like that it was a 2.0 engine option only. I'm unable to find any electrical connector in the area that it would be. Cruise wasn't a major concern just thought as cheap as parts are for these things if it was easy enough to add I would.
msnider is/was the man on this project. He was the one that got it figured out from the beginning. I did the same thing he did, years ago, but I also have a 2012/2013. You are right in the electronic drive is going to be the reason all we needed to do was swap a steering wheel. I would suspect you need the controls, a servo, and possibly a change to your BCM. I don't have a 2010-11 service manual so looking in my manual would be zero help.

Bottom line is you'll either have to play with it to see if you can get it to work, do something aftermarket which sucks, or just live with the lack of cruise. If you drive this thing at any one time long enough that you need cruise, I would say just sell it and get into a 2012/13 if you don't want to spend any real money. You can probably come close to an even swap price-wise since it's largely the same vehicle.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
really this was just a gift for my Brother that's graduating HS. I was just trying to add all the cheap upgrades I could. I got a steal on the car, 1 owner 88k miles for 2200. All I did was upgrade the stereo, add a little sub, steering wheel for the volume controls and a center console. If it had the connector for the servo I would have seen about adding it and making a custom cable/throttle body setup but I really don't know how many times he would be driving long distance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts