Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there,

I was wondering the same thing. I want to be able to turn this feature off for 2 reasons: 1) Periodically, I'll be braking and lift my foot off the brake just when the engine is in the process of turning off and then the engine stalls and the system beeps for me to know to put my car in park and restart the car, 2) My mechanic advised me that this feature - which causes my car to use the starter so many more times a day than I would otherwise be doing and will reduce the lifespan of the starter, 3) I have been logging my kilometers per tank fill up, and with this ISG feature turned on, the car's fuel consumption increases significantly! The average kilometers per 33 litres of gas fill up over 3 months was 160 kms. This month I decided to turn off the IGS every trip in the car (starting on June 5th), I'm now at 225 kms and my next fill up won't be due for another 10 kms. This IGS feature is a cheap version of Hybrid that will cost us all more in fuel consumption (and thus more of an air polulant) and engine starter replacements. I bought my 2014 Kia Soul at the end of November 2013. And since this feature will not be activated with temperatures below a certain temperature, I also have the last 3 months of higher fuel consumption to compare to pre-spring when the IGS never turned on in the heart of winter. P.S. The reason that the ISG feature consumes more fuel than without it, is because it takes more fuel to restart the engine after every stop than the amount of fuel we potentially save by idling with the engine off. Without this feature activated, the driver is only turning on the engine at the beginning of each trip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was just wondering how much fuel could this possible save. Stopping and then restarting the engine just after a minute or two. I would like to hear some statistics on how much it saves.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I was just wondering how much fuel could this possible save. Stopping and then restarting the engine just after a minute or two. I would like to hear some statistics on how much it saves.
Every estimate that I have read says it adds 1 (that's right: 1) MPG. Even Kia's own estimates said that. But for CAFE standards, if enough cars are sold with that feature, it can have an impact. I think that is why we saw the ISG cars first.

·
Registered
643 Posts
2. the salesman said it was possible to permanently disable it, but the service dept was closed at the time of purchase so they couldn't do it right then.
Reminds me of the story about the "little old lady" who wanted a 4 door car. The salesman sold her a 2 door with reassurances they would add the two rear doors when she came in for her first oil change..

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
It seems like I met that salesman once.

"You might be promised the world, but you'll only get what you deserve." (author, unknown)

:cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi folks,

As I'm not sure if anyone in this discussion has already checked with any Kia dealership to ask if their mechanics can manually permanently turn off this Idle-Stop-Go feature, but I emailed a local dealership and the service manager said that even they don't have the mechanical ability to permanently turn this feature off and that the only thing to do is to manually press that button every time we start the car. Lovely - huh!! Kia themselves, can't even turn this feature off. You know, other than this nusiance feature of the car, I love my 2014 Soul 100%. Such is life!!!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Since the car starts with the button pressed, there are 2 simple ways to disable that ISG completely:

1. Wedge a folded piece of paper or thin cardboard on the side of the button to keep it from returning (stay pressed in).
2. Disconnect the wires on the back of the button and connect them together permanently.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just a followup...

The dealership finally admitted that, despite what the salesman told me, the ISG cannot be permanently disabled. I tried to get the dealer to swap out my vehicle with a non-ISG equipped one, but since my car had already been funded they said they couldn't do an even swap - it was now "used" and couldn't be traded evenly for a new one. I ended up complaining to corporate (sent emails to every exec I could find an address for), and that did the trick. The dealer contacted me and took my ISG car back and gave me a brand new non-ISG in it's place.

Now if I could just figure out the satellite radio stuck on "loading sirius" issue, everything would be hunky dorey!
A salesman lying to make a sale. No surprise there.
Congratulations on making KIA make good on what you were told about the ISG.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some ideas work better in theory and on the drawing board than they do in practice and on the open road.
Perhaps the I.S.G. and even the eco feature are 2 such ideas.
In the pursuit of fuel economy and maximum m.p.g's perhaps Kia came up with a good idea that doesn't necessarily work as planned.
We have already seen where the fuel mileage itself was overly optimistic and perhaps the engineers were a bit overly optimistic with some other well intended features as well?
I too had a fuel saving idea that I have sent to Kia for consideration...I call it the S.D.F. indicator light.
When you are driving in a less than economical manner a dash light illuminates with the words "Slow Down Fool"
you would disable start/stop when upgrading to a video screen Nd backup camera like i did. Problem is the whole Android play system shuts down a d restarts with the car.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts