Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know about the little button on the dash that turns it off temporarily, but I want to permanently disable the ISG feature. I was told at the time of purchase that it was possible, but when I called the service department they said they had no idea how to do it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,155 Posts
wow - three postings of the same thing, please fill out your DRIVES profile so we know what's going on :think Sounds like you have it, but like I said in the other posts if you want to permanently disable it, why buy it in the first place, a bit of background would be helpful to understand this question.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
wow - three postings of the same thing, please fill out your DRIVES profile so we know what's going on :think Sounds like you have it, but like I said in the other posts if you want to permanently disable it, why buy it in the first place, a bit of background would be helpful to understand this question.
Sorry for the duplicate posts, I am kind of a forum newbie and don't really know the process, who sees what posts, etc. I thought posting in different spots might increase my chance of getting a response.

To answer your question, yes, I have the ISG function - 2013 Soul + with Eco. The reason I got a car with the ISG on there was: 1. it was the only car at the dealership in my price range (yes, I could have waited, but see reason #2), and 2. the salesman said it was possible to permanently disable it, but the service dept was closed at the time of purchase so they couldn't do it right then. But when I called the service dept today, the tech said he was not aware of any way to permanently disable it. He's gonna check with the service manager, but I saw this forum and though someone on here might have some super-secret info.

Thanks, again sorry for being a forum idiot.

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Sorry for the duplicate posts, I am kind of a forum newbie and don't really know the process, who sees what posts, etc. I thought posting in different spots might increase my chance of getting a response.

To answer your question, yes, I have the ISG function - 2013 Soul + with Eco. The reason I got a car with the ISG on there was: 1. it was the only car at the dealership in my price range (yes, I could have waited, but see reason #2), and 2. the salesman said it was possible to permanently disable it, but the service dept was closed at the time of purchase so they couldn't do it right then. But when I called the service dept today, the tech said he was not aware of any way to permanently disable it. He's gonna check with the service manager, but I saw this forum and though someone on here might have some super-secret info.

Thanks, again sorry for being a forum idiot.
that's okay, we all live and learn, now I understand what happened and thanks for filling in the DRIVES profile. Location and that are important on questions as this is a worldwide forum and vehicles are not equipped the same in different countries (you will find that between US and Canadian models).
just a few tips for posting:
- first if you have a question do a search (top right) to see if your question has been answered
- create a new thread using the appropriate heading (which I see you did)
- just do it once as people don't know which one to reply to if you post the same thing in various other threads which are not specifically related to that topic.
- you can check any new posts or ones you haven't viewed since your last visit by simply clicking on NEW POSTS at the top left (below HOME). It will continually list them till as such time you view it. Makes it far easier that going down all the various topic lists every day.

We've had a lot of people post on this forum that thought they had the ECO system with the ISG and it turns out that in most cases they were getting confused between that and the ACTIVE ECO which is totally different, so initially I wasn't quite sure whether this was your case, but it sounds like you definitely have the ISG system.
If you already have the system in your vehicle why not make use of it, you've nothing to loose and only possible mpg to gain. Where you are located do you do a lot of stop and go driving? I think you are just going to have to remember to hit the OFF button each time you drive it for it not to activate. I have not heard of anyway to totally disable it, the salesman could have just been thinking of the OFF button or perhaps got mixed up with the ACTIVE ECO button, which when turned off does not come back on again till you press it again, even if you shut the engine off.
If that was so critical to you, you should have confirmed it with the service department first before purchase, always take your time when making a large purchase and do your homework.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Some ideas work better in theory and on the drawing board than they do in practice and on the open road.
Perhaps the I.S.G. and even the eco feature are 2 such ideas.
In the pursuit of fuel economy and maximum m.p.g's perhaps Kia came up with a good idea that doesn't necessarily work as planned.
We have already seen where the fuel mileage itself was overly optimistic and perhaps the engineers were a bit overly optimistic with some other well intended features as well?
I too had a fuel saving idea that I have sent to Kia for consideration...I call it the S.D.F. indicator light.
When you are driving in a less than economical manner a dash light illuminates with the words "Slow Down Fool"

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
Also the reason why the ISG feature was pulled from the 2012 model year due to initial problems and complaints from reviewers and got moved from the 1.6L model to the 2.0L model.

My dealer has not had any of the Soul 2u ECO models in stock and can't even seem to get hold of any 1.6L models either.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for the replies. In retrospect, I should have waited for a non-eco model, but the salesman seemed absolutely positive that they could disable it, but that it had to be done in the service dept. In fact, prior to the purchase, he went back and said he checked with the service guys to make sure, and they said they could do it. But they were closed by the time all of the paperwork was signed so the salesman said they could do it when I went back to get the plates put on. Had I known that it could not be permanently disabled (at least according to the service guy I spoke with), I would not have purchased this particular vehicle. I'm still holding out hope that the service guy can come up with a solution, although according to him there are no technical service bulletins on how to disable it permanently. I am awaiting a call back from the head service guy.

Overall, we love the car! But the reason behind not wanting the ISG feature operational is I think it puts entirely too much wear and tear on the starter and engine - more so than the gas savings will ever be worth. For instance, if you pull into a parking spot and come to a stop, the engine shuts down immediately. However, when the vehicle is placed into "park" a second or two later, the engine re-starts, only to be immediately shut off again manually when you are ready to get out of the car. Another example - if you stop at a stop light, the engine shuts down. But if you let off the brake (which triggers the re-start) and begin to immediately accelerate without giving the engine adequate time to re-start, the car lurches. I cant' imagine that this is good for the car in the long run.

One thing I did discover is that if you hold the ISG disable button down with your finger and keep it pressed down (since it doesn't remain depressed like the active eco button) while the engine is turned off, the light stays on and it remains disabled when the car restarts. So I guess theoretically you could rig a way to keep the button depressed all the time (jam a piece of paper in it) and that would do it, but I'm not sure what the long term consequences are to that crude solution.

Anyway, if anyone hears of a viable solution, I'd love to hear it. Thanks...

·
Registered
750 Posts
It looks like you could simply jumper terminals 1 and 4 on the ISG stop switch connector, if I read the Kia tech website correctly. Look under the ISG description and then down under the ISG off switch and it shows the conditions for operation (or Not) and the connecter plug with terminals numbered. Don't take my word, but go into the electrical section and look at the schematics. Once sure, pull the conector off the back of the switch and make a little jumper to install in there and tape and zip tie it out of the way.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Wait a minute... Don't you just push the switch once to deactivate? and once more to activate? Is pushing it "off" each time you get in the car too difficult?

·
Registered
750 Posts
OKay, now that we have that cleared up...looks like you are going to have to try jumpers across the terminals.
Or maybe there is a ISG fuse you can yank somewhere...
I started going blind looking through all the schematics on kiatechinfo.com. Sorry Bro....

·
Registered
15,155 Posts
the ISG has heavier battery and starter due to its use than the regular model, so don't worry on the score. You just have to remember to push the off button each time you get into the vehicle ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just a followup...

The dealership finally admitted that, despite what the salesman told me, the ISG cannot be permanently disabled. I tried to get the dealer to swap out my vehicle with a non-ISG equipped one, but since my car had already been funded they said they couldn't do an even swap - it was now "used" and couldn't be traded evenly for a new one. I ended up complaining to corporate (sent emails to every exec I could find an address for), and that did the trick. The dealer contacted me and took my ISG car back and gave me a brand new non-ISG in it's place.

Now if I could just figure out the satillite radio stuck on "loading sirius" issue, everything would be hunky dorey!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just recently purchased a new 2013 + model with the ECO feature. I too was told by the dealership that it could be disabled...there were no Red Soul's to be had in the Dallas area and no idea when they would get any. I researched the heck out of this car and have wanted one since they first came out, however, no one quite knows "how" this feature operates.

I too have the same problems with the lurching...even turning off and on when you put it in park or back to drive. Very annoying. The dealership NOW tells me that if you disconnect the feature...you will VOID THE WARRANTY!

There HAS to be a way to disable this besides sticking a toothpick into the switch to force it to stay in the off position.

Has anyone come up with anything since the last posting in this thread of November 2012???

·
Registered
564 Posts
Pull the cover off the under hood fuse panel, and look on the back side of the cover, look for a fuse or relay that is labeled ISG, pull the fuse/relay and be done with it!

Oh...and to reply to your comment....when you are in stop and go traffic....getting out of your car making "deliveries" all day long...YES...remembering to turn it off is a pain in the backside!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts