Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Soul EX Build Date 11/20
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of having a hood deflector? Does it block driver’s view? Other than the OEM one, who else makes one? I have a 2021 Kia Soul EX.

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Updating my own thread, I am putting one on in the next day or so.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Did you get the one with the cutout for the Kia emblem?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting the OEM one. I pick it up tomorrow. Don‘t know if it has cutout for emblem.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Would be nice if you post a photo when it's installed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
What are the pros and cons of having a hood deflector? Does it block driver’s view? Other than the OEM one, who else makes one? I have a 2021 Kia Soul EX.

Thanks for the input.
Missed this.

In theory, they are useful for areas with lots of large haul trucks on the road, especially areas under construction or areas fed by gravel logging roads. They can also be useful in areas with large fly populations such as where hatches emerge off rivers or stillwater.

We had a stock deflector installed by the dealership. The lift is minimal, compared to the one on the 4X4, and I am not sure that it really makes a difference. Windshield is still OK with minimal pitting but that could be because of the way we drive.

I took a nice rock in the front windshield of the 4X4 last summer near Houston, BC. Apparently all kinds of light trucks were suffering similar damage. I would bet that most of those trucks had deflectors on them.

Bottom line. It may not help much but will not hurt.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would be nice if you post a photo when it's installed.

Thanks.
Well, it turns out the hood deflector was a return and whoever had the deflector before took out the right clips and put in the wrong clips. So not being installed and a new deflector is being ordered.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With OEM rain guards.
20210222_104035.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
I put one one and it was crap made, but it was genuine Kia. It cracked so I sent it back, the second one cracked exactly the same way. The one I put on my Stinger never cracked, and I used to take it off and clean and polish under it frequently and it never cracked. The Soul one was just not made of a quality plastic.

My advice is to put adhesive rubber grommets around the holes, top and bottom - and ever so gingerly tighten the screws. I think it's just crap - when the wind blows over it and creates a force on the plastic it will crack... Like I said, the Stingers never cracked though...

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Reactions: Penfold

·
Registered
✴️BING✴️ Toast's ready, pass the butter!
1,091 Posts
I put one one and it was crap made, but it was genuine Kia. It cracked so I sent it back, the second one cracked exactly the same way. The one I put on my Stinger never cracked, and I used to take it off and clean and polish under it frequently and it never cracked. The Soul one was just not made of a quality plastic.

My advice is to put adhesive rubber grommets around the holes, top and bottom - and ever so gingerly tighten the screws. I think it's just crap - when the wind blows over it and creates a force on the plastic it will crack... Like I said, the Stingers never cracked though...
Was the deflector you're talking about made for Gen3 Souls?
I haven't yet read here of any cracking issues with OEM deflectors made for earlier generations. I wonder if it has to do with the thinner nose-piece needed to cover the newer model's sleeker hood—earlier Souls have a broader nose which requires more plastic on its deflectors.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
149 Posts
Mine is oem, no cracks, chips or nuttin. Same with rain guards. The adhesive on the outer most clips on the deflector has worn, but the clips are rock solid.

Usefulness?

Depends on where you live. I'm in Seattle, and it does help alot with things like certain precipitation not even hitting the car, or in East washington, helps with bugs on the windscreen..... does it ever help.

Oh, oem with no logo cutout and really good at leaf storage..

·
Registered
7 Posts

Thanks for the input.
AVS makes a quality hood deflector. No cutout for Kia emblem. I like it that way. I’ll post some pics as soon as I get the Texas snowmageddon washed off!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts