Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, as is typical with me and new cars, I had it 6 weeks and received damage. Unlike my Fusion, this is not 9k+ in damage from a woman who was snapchatting and rear ended me at a stop sign.

I saw something fly across the freeway from the slow lane and heard a thump. Found this on the front left side of the bumper:

I reviewed my dash cam and it did not capture whatever it was that shot across 3 lanes. The cut is pretty clean, so whatever it was was sharp.

Unfortunately, none of the Kia parts websites have anything for 2020 (or even 2019, wtf?), so I am not sure if I can get the lower part of the bumper separate or if I will need an entire bumper. I will have to call my insurance and see how much the deductible is and I will try the dealer to see if I can order just the plastic part.

Any advise going for this? Think my insurance will go up (no accidents or claims, other than the aforementioned non-fault accident 4 years ago). Should I just try to replace the part myself and forego the insurance company?

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,160 Posts
many body shops can fairly easily repair plastic parts without replacing the complete item. Many times it's cheaper but need to get a quote.

I did more damage than that a few years ago on my Rondo when I hit a raccoon at 80 kmph. My local dealer has guys come in to do various repairs on their used vehicles and recommended this guy and it was much easier and cheaper than replacing the whole component.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Seeing as it sits low and is black a decent home made repair should not be too difficult to make.
I would explore some fixes via melted plastic to fill the hole and carefully filing down the burr from the cut.
If the black valance is available separately you may want to go that route as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matching the texture I think will be the problem with any sort of repair. I've never had any luck matching any sort of texture.

If it was a 2 year old car, I might let it go, but it's brand new!

·
Registered
285 Posts
There are specialty shops out there that can repair that. Do a search on "plastic bumper repair".

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,446 Posts
Does your insurance cover this? If so, pay the deductible and have them replace it. Like you said, it's a brand new car and it sucks to have bandaid fixes so early on.

Keep us posted Sean.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Just for reference, black "Bedliner" makes a great black texture paint. I used that on the rocker panels on my last Soul.

Cheers Mates!

FLH :cool:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Any advise going for this? Think my insurance will go up
Call your agent. Generally by law a comprehensive claim cannot raise you rates. Your situation is a gray area since the car was moving, but a non-vehicular object flew into you so I would think your rate will stay the same. It's kinda like how we don't get dinged when a stone chips our windshield.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. I will call insurance this week and hopefully Wifey can take it in since she's off for the summer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts