Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2013 Soul Base manual transmission. She runs around 3,000 - 3,100 RPMs in 6th gear going 70 MPH. Seems high to me. I base that only on the performance of other vehicles I own or have owned. They typically would/do run between 1,800 - 2,00 RPMs when going 70 MPH. What are other owners experiencing? My dealership asked me to bring it back in so they could show me how to shift gears....:think I feel pretty comfortable that I am following the shifting pattern on the gear shift, plus the dash ECO shift up indicator clears after I get into 6th. Thanks you in advance for your feedback.

Peace Love & Soul

·
Registered
244 Posts
Just got a 2013 Soul Base manual transmission. She runs around 3,000 - 3,100 RPMs in 6th gear going 70 MPH. Seems high to me. I base that only on the performance of other vehicles I own or have owned. They typically would/do run between 1,800 - 2,00 RPMs when going 70 MPH. What are other owners experiencing? My dealership asked me to bring it back in so they could show me how to shift gears....:think I feel pretty comfortable that I am following the shifting pattern on the gear shift, plus the dash ECO shift up indicator clears after I get into 6th. Thanks you in advance for your feedback.

Peace Love & Soul

Depends on the car :) My 2005 GTO with manual transmission was 2,000 RPM at 80 MPH but it was a V8 with gobs of torque. I think you're probably fine, given that 4-bangers tend to need to rev higher than V6 or V8s at the same speed.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
Just got a 2013 Soul Base manual transmission. She runs around 3,000 - 3,100 RPMs in 6th gear going 70 MPH. Seems high to me. I base that only on the performance of other vehicles I own or have owned. They typically would/do run between 1,800 - 2,00 RPMs when going 70 MPH. What are other owners experiencing? My dealership asked me to bring it back in so they could show me how to shift gears....:think I feel pretty comfortable that I am following the shifting pattern on the gear shift, plus the dash ECO shift up indicator clears after I get into 6th. Thanks you in advance for your feedback.Peace Love & Soul
Yes, it certainly sounds like you haven't got it in 6th gear (actually seems more like you are in 4th), not sure on the manual but my auto does approximately 2400 rpm at 110 kmph (68 mph). It would be higher going up a grade of course, but I presume you are talking about on the flat.

here's the gear ratios for both the manual and auto for 2012 which is the same for 2013.

when they change the powertrain from 2011 to 2012 on average it dropped the rpm by about 400 rpm.

·
Registered
503 Posts

Peace Love & Soul
Sounds correct to me, and reflects my experience with the same model. 1.6L engine is the reason. But, not to worry, you're only halfway to the redline RPMs. These little engines are designed to run at those speeds, and will not suffer from it. The old days of V8s running at 1750 rpm at 70 are gone. And good riddance to them. Just drive your new Soul and enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts