Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
worth it or not?
the Tesco 99 ron stuff is available near me for the same as our local garage is charging for normal unleaded (95 ron)

i suppose the question is will it make any difference in a 1.6 engine with 3k on the clock?
and will it be worth running on that all the time?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
various auto mags claim it makes no difference.....and some even hint at worse fuel consumption.....that was a couple of years back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
various auto mags claim it makes no difference.....and some even hint at worse fuel consumption.....that was a couple of years back.
i use it in the Bentley
i also use the diesel version as well in the Range Rover and my X-Trail although my X-Trail has a tuning box on it anyway:rolleyes:
i have run some tests (see post on uk forum) on cheap fuels and normally dont rate supermarket fuel but thought that seeing it should burn better and 1 would think cleaner then it may be better especially as its the same price as normal unleaded at our local station.
i know sometimes it doe less mpg but i believe (imo) thats to do more with how much you use the extra power and how heavy your foot is:D

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
i would have thought that the electronics on an engine nowadays would have made the engine run perfect - no matter what the fuel. Maybe the higher octane fuel will perform better tho and that would be the justification if the costs were the same. What are your thoughts on Biodiesel if you have any?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
i use it in the Bentley
i also use the diesel version as well in the Range Rover and my X-Trail although my X-Trail has a tuning box on it anyway:rolleyes:
i have run some tests (see post on uk forum) on cheap fuels and normally dont rate supermarket fuel :D
i have had a look around for the fuel tests you mention and cant find them?....can you post a link?:)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would have thought that the electronics on an engine nowadays would have made the engine run perfect - no matter what the fuel. Maybe the higher octane fuel will perform better tho and that would be the justification if the costs were the same. What are your thoughts on Biodiesel if you have any?
depends what grade of biodiesel we are talking about
we already use 5% now because of the governments Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation
theres a place near me that sells "bio" and that is 100% recycled cooking oil but i wouldn't recomend that as the quality seems to differ somewhat depending on what story you listen to
also they said 5 years ago that common rail diesel wouldn't run on full bio so why would they now be ok to run on full bio?
i have used pure cooking oil in a Toyota Hilux Surf straight from a supermarket but the fuel pump on this engine was bomb proof and that particular engine liked oil in as much as it got quieter on oil
i had a fuel heater fitted to this car so the cold weather was not a problem

from what i can see on the web the message now seems to be ALL cars and engines are ok
i would be worried about warranty first off and would want it in writing that its ok to use it and also would save all the fuel reciepts showing the bio was up to EN 14214 standards.
then there is the faffing about when it gets cold going back onto diesel or mixing

i think if Shell or BP were to come out and put a pump at their stations i may well have a go but from what i see you have to travel arounds 10 miles to get it and its from independents who i know nothing about so would worry about the quality and consistency

this guy knows his stuff http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/ and if you send him an email im sure he will give you his take on bio

i have had a look around for the fuel tests you mention and cant find them?....can you post a link?:)
http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic1759&KW=_post6985.html#6985

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.