Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Kia Soul (original owner) and recently my check engine light came on. We found out the code was P0508. Trying to diagnose the problem the best we could my husband changed the oil filter, cleaned the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor then dumped fuel injector cleaner in the tank. The light did go off, however it still does high idle when it's cold out goes to 2,500 RPM's when I first start it up for just a few seconds. Just wondering if this is normal or is there still a problem?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have a 2014 Kia Soul (original owner) and recently my check engine light came on. We found out the code was P0508. Trying to diagnose the problem the best we could my husband changed the oil filter, cleaned the throttle body and the mass air flow sensor then dumped fuel injector cleaner in the tank. The light did go off, however it still does high idle when it's cold out goes to 2,500 RPM's when I first start it up for just a few seconds. Just wondering if this is normal or is there still a problem?
2,500 seems a bit high, but not so much that it will do any harm, especially if you're using a decent synthetic oil that will rapidly flow to all the nooks and crannies while the engine is cold.

The next really cold day, I'll take note of the cold idle RPM on mine. I think it's around 2,000, but it doesn't stay there long. It was pretty cold this morning, but I didn't take note.

I would check for vacuum leaks. They can cause high idle and are easy to check for.

Also, I think what your husband cleaned was the MAP, not the MAF.

Richard

·
Registered
354 Posts
It was 1F (-17C) this morning, and the idle was about 1800 before settling down to about 1,000, and then to about 600 or so.

Richard

We experience just about the same on cold mornings. Seems pretty normal to me. 👍

·
Registered
2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,012 Posts
the highest I've seen on my 2016 2.0L in my area with temperature to -20 to -30C is about 1600-1700 rpm when I first start the car which generally doesn't last long and then will drop around 1100 rpm and then eventually back to normal idle of 600-700 after it warms up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, I am going to clean the mass air flow sensor . And clean the throttle bodies with intake cleaner. It does idle normal when warmed up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have high rev when cold as well, tripped P050A code (Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance) . In the morning, I got almost 3000 rpm and settled down to regular idle RPM within couple seconds. I don't think there is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor on 2014 Kia Soul, there is a MAP sensor. MAP does not need cleaning. I don't think there is an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve either. The throttle body appears to be an electronic throttle control with built in throttle position sensor. If cleaning throttle body helps, please let us know. I need to do something too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
took a video on the startup, it was 47 degrees out all day, the car sat out, and showed the service dept. he said that was not going to hurt the car. i disagreed and asked to see another 2014 start up. of course his answer was we don't. he stated if no check engine light is on there is nothing they can do. i said i have to call kia on this one and stated kia is aware of the problem and they have no fix. how about that for an answer. i can tell you i don't think i will purchase another kia product. transmission went at around 40k and it doing the same thing again. either that or maybe they should take away the dealership off them. i am so dissapointed

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have high rev when cold as well, tripped P050A code (Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance) . In the morning, I got almost 3000 rpm and settled down to regular idle RPM within couple seconds. I don't think there is a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor on 2014 Kia Soul, there is a MAP sensor. MAP does not need cleaning. I don't think there is an Idle Air Control (IAC) valve either. The throttle body appears to be an electronic throttle control with built in throttle position sensor. If cleaning throttle body helps, please let us know. I need to do something too.
Yes, there is no MAF or IAC on these.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Call Kia and complain . I have report number and waitng to hear from them or Kia soon. Service tech stated Kia has a problem but no fix. Mine started after the last recall for the cat and they updated ecu.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts