Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! I'm actually posting for a friend who just bought his first Kia Soul where he lives in the suburbs of Toronto. He likes the car, but is having weird issues along the lines of, when he unlocks the doors with the remote, then opens the driver's door to get something out of it, then shuts it again, the car is automatically locking again on its own. Even though he hasn't touched the manual lock or the remote. Even when the keys may be inside the car. (This is obviously not the push-button start model.)

He checked the manual, and says there is nothing in there about this issue. He talked to the dealer, who told him this was somehow "normal", and there was nothing to fix. He's a musician and is on the road a fair bit, and can't afford to lock himself out of his car when he's on the road. Also, it's just obnoxious. Neither he nor I have ever owned a car that relocked itself once the door was opened, without the car having been started and put into drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

·
Super Moderator
9,515 Posts
Welcome on board. You may not have seen it before, but this one does it. If you let it sit for a few minutes with no activity, it will lock itself. Since there is no model info posted, that is about as far as anyone can go with your info.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,136 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

Our 20 year old Ford pick up does the samething, it's locked me out once with the engine running. Had to call out a lock Smith to get it unlocked.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,658 Posts
Hi folks! I'm actually posting for a friend who just bought his first Kia Soul where he lives in the suburbs of Toronto. He likes the car, but is having weird issues along the lines of, when he unlocks the doors with the remote, then opens the driver's door to get something out of it, then shuts it again, the car is automatically locking again on its own. Even though he hasn't touched the manual lock or the remote. Even when the keys may be inside the car. (This is obviously not the push-button start model.)

He checked the manual, and says there is nothing in there about this issue. He talked to the dealer, who told him this was somehow "normal", and there was nothing to fix. He's a musician and is on the road a fair bit, and can't afford to lock himself out of his car when he's on the road. Also, it's just obnoxious. Neither he nor I have ever owned a car that relocked itself once the door was opened, without the car having been started and put into drive.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
The dealer is either lazy, incompetent, or a liar. Not uncommon.

My '13 Soul would do that. I'd leave the key in the cubby and come out later and the car was locked. Fortunately it was garaged and I had the other key. It did that enough times that I quit leaving the key in it. My '15 did NOT do that. My '17 also does not lock itself.

The solution is put his key in his pocked. If he gets locked out several times, he should've learned by now that he shouldn't leave his key in the car.

Don't leave the key in the car.
Problem solved. :joyous:

Reactions: deejaydead
1 - 7 of 7 Posts