Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've joined this forum looking for some help regarding the panoramic sunroof on my 2016 Soul + with Primo Package. I purchased the car brand new in January 2016. I searched specifically for a + trim with the Primo package specifically because I wanted a sunroof (and I'm a driver that uses it) and this would come in at a lower MSRP than an ! Fully loaded. Fast forward into about a year of ownership and around spring time this year (2017), I noticed that the closing operation of the sunroof was becoming substantially slower than normal. I took it to the local garage I go to for my oil changes and asked them to look. They cleaned and lubricated the tracks and told me it was somewhat better but still a little slow and that I should take it to the dealer. The sunroof was totally operational however, just somewhat slow when closing. Over the following few weeks, the sunroof would close progressively slower under average and normal operating conditions. I use it fully open a few times during the week, but usually use the "vent" feature more frequently. I don't open/close the roof going highway speeds either and have never forced the motor. There were also no visual obstructions impeding on the tracks.

June 26th, after I pull into the parking lot of the apartment complex I live in, I go to close the roof. It's now pulling closed significantly slower and just up until it hits the wind net, it stops closing and it slides itself back open at normal speed. Tried closing again, same issue. At this time all the service departments at the nearby dealers are closed. They advise me not to force it shut as it could further damage. I call Kia USA and there was little they could advise me of, other than there's no manual way to close the roof. I call the service dept at the dealer I bought it from (30+ miles from my home) and they tell me the manager is gone but advised me to Saran Wrap the roof for the overnight. No rain was forecasted so I bought Saran Wrap and completely covered it just in case until I can bring it in the following day. It poured overnight but the Wrap held up somewhat well.

I called the service dept the following day and tell them of the situation. They told me "we don't have appointments today" and I adamantly responded that I'm bringing the car in as I don't have a choice nor a garage to keep it in to protect it from the elements while the roof is stuck. Once at the dealer, they tell me that they'll look at t but if the issue found is not something covered under warranty, I'm liable for the $120 diagnostic fee. Ok fine I sign the authorization and the dealer shuttle takes me to my job. A few hours later i get a call from the manager stating that the tracks needed to be lubricated and cleaned and I will have to pay the $120. The dealer shuttle comes back to pick me up and go back to get the car. I speak with the service manager and explained that my local garage did just this a couple of months prior. He explained that because the panoramic roofs have tracks on the exterior, they're subjected to all of the elements and need this kind of Maintenence. He noted there's a "1 year period" for free adjustments but because cleaning and lubricating the tracks is considered Maintenence, it's not under warranty. It makes sense so I pay, despite everyone in my life claiming that's BS. Before I leave the dealer I inquire about what kind of lubrication they used. The Manager said it's a Kia product that only they have access to and that's what it should be maintained with. OK.

Fast forward to August 17th, a few days ago, also my birthday, less than two months later, the same thing happens. I pull into my lot, attempt to close the roof, gets most of the way there, very laboriously, stops by the net and opens back up again at normal speed and won't close. Leading up to this, I noticed the closing of the roof was starting to go slower again but would open just fine at normal speeds. I didn't have the time to take it back and fight with the dealer though. So when this happened again, I call the service dept again annoyed beyond belief and of course they're closed. I tried Saran wrapping it again but it was supposed to pour that night (which it did) and not wanting to risk ruining the car I called the local dealer and explained the ongoing situation and they offered to keep the car in their service bay overnight. They were able to manually close the glass pane and I will be following up with the dealer I purchased the car from and that had originally worked on it tomorrow.

My questions are; has this happened to anyone else? And what do you guys think about the diagnostic fee? Since this is happening again in such a short period of time, they can't claim that the tracks need to be cleaned and sprayed every two months, so perhaps the issue was misdiagnosed? If so, it's more likely than not something that'll be under warranty and therefore I'm entitled to my $120 back as per the dealers explanation of having to pay that for issues not under warranty..right?

I own a 2014 ! model. Last year my roof started sticking and not closing exactly as you have described. My fiance cleaned and lubricated the tracks and it did help for a bit. This summer it has been sketchy, but always closed until the other day. I cleaned the tracks today, but didn't not have any lubricant. The roof did close for me. I'm over my warranty mileage, so I'm afraid of the dealer bill I may incur. I use my roof through the fall and will be really bummed if I can't.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a 2015 ! and now have a 2017 !, both with the panoramic roof and would not own a Soul without it. Both have worked fine, but if I had an issue and was out of warranty I would seek an independent repair shop. Possibly a body shop?

The dealer will not be interested in "repair". They are part swappers for the most part and will want you to foot the bill to replace the entire unit (which is probably unnecessary).

Reactions: Sonya

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've joined this forum looking for some help regarding the panoramic sunroof on my 2016 Soul + with Primo Package. I purchased the car brand new in January 2016. I searched specifically for a + trim with the Primo package specifically because I wanted a sunroof (and I'm a driver that uses it) and this would come in at a lower MSRP than an ! Fully loaded. Fast forward into about a year of ownership and around spring time this year (2017), I noticed that the closing operation of the sunroof was becoming substantially slower than normal. I took it to the local garage I go to for my oil changes and asked them to look. They cleaned and lubricated the tracks and told me it was somewhat better but still a little slow and that I should take it to the dealer. The sunroof was totally operational however, just somewhat slow when closing. Over the following few weeks, the sunroof would close progressively slower under average and normal operating conditions.
I also have a 2016 ! I recently bought with this exact problem!! Just started yesterday!! It is still under warranty so I guess I will take it to the dealer. I was wondering what the resolution of this post was.??????
Any updates from anyone??
Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Noticed my 2015's roof was slowing down and last week it would stop when it got to the deflector and bounce back, unable to go farther. I had only owned the car less than a whole month, and took it in this tuesday for inspection. They lubed the rails but said new rail parts were ordered and should be in soon for replacement under warranty.

If your glass is causing troubles go in, and make sure it will be a warranty fix before they touch it. From what I read these roofs have troubles often and it's more than just a 'lube the rails' fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Noticed my 2015's roof was slowing down and last week it would stop when it got to the deflector and bounce back, unable to go farther. I had only owned the car less than a whole month, and took it in this tuesday for inspection. They lubed the rails but said new rail parts were ordered and should be in soon for replacement under warranty.

If your glass is causing troubles go in, and make sure it will be a warranty fix before they touch it. From what I read these roofs have troubles often and it's more than just a 'lube the rails' fix.
Thank you so much!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a 2015 Soul with a panoramic roof. My grand daughter has it now and the roof has jammed open twice in one year. The dealer cleaned and lubricated it under warranty. The car was never stored in a garage. I never had a problem when I owned it for three years but I only used it a few times. I doubt the track on your Soul was a problem. I am guessing that outside storage and frequent usage requires the track to be cleaned and lubricated on a regular basis. KIA doesn't offer a panoramic roof on the 2020 Soul? I had a 2014 VW station wagon with a panoramic roof that leaked. Incredibly the dealer suggested it should not be taken through car washes!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking to buy a used 2016+ with Primo Package. Went for a final test drive and to purchase and what do you know? It was in for repairs with a "stuck open sun roof". I actually thought they were pulling my leg and had sold it to someone else (even though it was on hold for me), so the manager had it pulled out of the shop for me so I could see it for myself: Exactly the same behavior as described by the originator of this thread. I am thrilled with the features on this car (and funny enough I too am a former Mini owner) and really want to buy it. If I do as planned I will be sure that this issue is documented in the sale and will save this dialog for updates. I suppose sunroofs are a risk, and funny enough I do not love them - I'm in it for the closed glass open ceiling feel rather than the wind in my hair. This post may keep me from opening it - ever :0

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
Welcome to the forum WalkinWell,
Sounds like a solid plan.
Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
900 Posts
Hey - thanks so much! So do you have any update seeing as your posting is now over 2 years old? Would love to know how it all netted out.
The Original Poster Egw817, only posted on this thread for a couple days & that's all.
A search for Panoramic Sunroof, will open more threads on this topic.

Reactions: WalkinWell and Buzz

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looking to buy a used 2016+ with Primo Package. Went for a final test drive and to purchase and what do you know? It was in for repairs with a "stuck open sun roof". I actually thought they were pulling my leg and had sold it to someone else (even though it was on hold for me), so the manager had it pulled out of the shop for me so I could see it for myself: Exactly the same behavior as described by the originator of this thread. I am thrilled with the features on this car (and funny enough I too am a former Mini owner) and really want to buy it. If I do as planned I will be sure that this issue is documented in the sale and will save this dialog for updates. I suppose sunroofs are a risk, and funny enough I do not love them - I'm in it for the closed glass open ceiling feel rather than the wind in my hair. This post may keep me from opening it - ever :0
I have always wondered why car companies don't offer glass roofs that can't be opened. I like the open feeling but have little use for the noise and wind (bugs, odors, climate) that come with an open roof. I've had convertibles but just for fun not daily drivers. I loved driving my Mini but with two subwoofers in the tiny trunk there was zero storage for almost anything.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
208 Posts
I have always wondered why car companies don't offer glass roofs that can't be opened. I like the open feeling but have little use for the noise and wind (bugs, odors, climate) that come with an open roof. ...
I've felt the same way for a number of years. Twenty five or so years ago I went to a car show in Chicago and there was a Mercedes coupe or sedan with a non-moveable, slightly tinted, all glass roof. I thought it was great. No worries about rain leaking in - I thought of it as a windshield but for the roof. I would love to have a fixed in place glass section in the front half of the roof of my Soul.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hate to say it, but either find another dealer, or complain to KIA USA about both the service and the window operation. I believe that this is the first time I have heard about this being a problem.
I have the same problem with the Sportage, 2017

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem with the Sportage, 2017
I have a 2017 Sportage and now have this issue too. How was yours resolved? The dealer replaced the rails under warranty and that didn’t fix it. We are now waiting on a master Kia tech to tell the dealership what to do.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I find that my 2018 has the same issue. I plan on a visit to the dealer to have it examined. It should be under warranty as the car only has 27K on it. I am the second owner, but that should not make a difference. I'll find out I guess.

·
Registered
2 Posts
could i add to this i have 2014 sorento with pan roof whitch will only close if i give it a helping hand opens fine but on closing gets to nearly there and go,es into reverse could the motor be on the way out thanks all tricky

21 - 38 of 38 Posts