Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've joined this forum looking for some help regarding the panoramic sunroof on my 2016 Soul + with Primo Package. I purchased the car brand new in January 2016. I searched specifically for a + trim with the Primo package specifically because I wanted a sunroof (and I'm a driver that uses it) and this would come in at a lower MSRP than an ! Fully loaded. Fast forward into about a year of ownership and around spring time this year (2017), I noticed that the closing operation of the sunroof was becoming substantially slower than normal. I took it to the local garage I go to for my oil changes and asked them to look. They cleaned and lubricated the tracks and told me it was somewhat better but still a little slow and that I should take it to the dealer. The sunroof was totally operational however, just somewhat slow when closing. Over the following few weeks, the sunroof would close progressively slower under average and normal operating conditions. I use it fully open a few times during the week, but usually use the "vent" feature more frequently. I don't open/close the roof going highway speeds either and have never forced the motor. There were also no visual obstructions impeding on the tracks.

June 26th, after I pull into the parking lot of the apartment complex I live in, I go to close the roof. It's now pulling closed significantly slower and just up until it hits the wind net, it stops closing and it slides itself back open at normal speed. Tried closing again, same issue. At this time all the service departments at the nearby dealers are closed. They advise me not to force it shut as it could further damage. I call Kia USA and there was little they could advise me of, other than there's no manual way to close the roof. I call the service dept at the dealer I bought it from (30+ miles from my home) and they tell me the manager is gone but advised me to Saran Wrap the roof for the overnight. No rain was forecasted so I bought Saran Wrap and completely covered it just in case until I can bring it in the following day. It poured overnight but the Wrap held up somewhat well.

I called the service dept the following day and tell them of the situation. They told me "we don't have appointments today" and I adamantly responded that I'm bringing the car in as I don't have a choice nor a garage to keep it in to protect it from the elements while the roof is stuck. Once at the dealer, they tell me that they'll look at t but if the issue found is not something covered under warranty, I'm liable for the $120 diagnostic fee. Ok fine I sign the authorization and the dealer shuttle takes me to my job. A few hours later i get a call from the manager stating that the tracks needed to be lubricated and cleaned and I will have to pay the $120. The dealer shuttle comes back to pick me up and go back to get the car. I speak with the service manager and explained that my local garage did just this a couple of months prior. He explained that because the panoramic roofs have tracks on the exterior, they're subjected to all of the elements and need this kind of Maintenence. He noted there's a "1 year period" for free adjustments but because cleaning and lubricating the tracks is considered Maintenence, it's not under warranty. It makes sense so I pay, despite everyone in my life claiming that's BS. Before I leave the dealer I inquire about what kind of lubrication they used. The Manager said it's a Kia product that only they have access to and that's what it should be maintained with. OK.

Fast forward to August 17th, a few days ago, also my birthday, less than two months later, the same thing happens. I pull into my lot, attempt to close the roof, gets most of the way there, very laboriously, stops by the net and opens back up again at normal speed and won't close. Leading up to this, I noticed the closing of the roof was starting to go slower again but would open just fine at normal speeds. I didn't have the time to take it back and fight with the dealer though. So when this happened again, I call the service dept again annoyed beyond belief and of course they're closed. I tried Saran wrapping it again but it was supposed to pour that night (which it did) and not wanting to risk ruining the car I called the local dealer and explained the ongoing situation and they offered to keep the car in their service bay overnight. They were able to manually close the glass pane and I will be following up with the dealer I purchased the car from and that had originally worked on it tomorrow.

My questions are; has this happened to anyone else? And what do you guys think about the diagnostic fee? Since this is happening again in such a short period of time, they can't claim that the tracks need to be cleaned and sprayed every two months, so perhaps the issue was misdiagnosed? If so, it's more likely than not something that'll be under warranty and therefore I'm entitled to my $120 back as per the dealers explanation of having to pay that for issues not under warranty..right?

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Is there anything in the owners manual about the care and feeding of said panoramic roof?
Did you ask to see this "special/exclusive" lubricant only Kia sells?
While greatly sounding like B.S. it could very well be that the roof, due to it's construction, may require specific "maintenance"
Would be great if it were outlined in the owners manual or somewhere in print at least.
If you paid the 120 by credit card there is always the credit dispute to be made.
If you paid via cash or check you are at the mercy of you dealership I'm afraid.
If this is nothing more than them spraying some WD40 on the tracks then perhaps it is You who is being lubed here?
PS: With the propensity for rain at the most inopportune time (roof stuck wide open) it may benefit you to have a tarp or car cover in the trunk as part of your toolkit should the need arise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing in owners manual only that the tracks need to occasionally be cleaned, i think it suggests like once per year. While I agree that the dealer is probably barking a bunch of crap at me, I'm prepared to bark right back and am choosing to go back to this particular dealer because I'll have recourse. If they guarantee their work or service it'll be easier for me to follow up with them since I already paid them. If they dick me around, I'll be lodging a complaint with kia USA and taking the car to another dealer. The local one I took it to to have it stored overnight said they wouldn't have charged me to have cleaned and lubricated the tracks but they said that every dealer operates differently.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,415 Posts
Make sure you spend time reading & understanding what is & isn't warranted. You received a booklet explaining this at purchase. Make copies if needed. Take that with you to the dealer & make them read it. It's amazing how a long story gets shorter when written FACTS are involved.

Surely this is not a "normal" issue with a new car like yours. You deserve much better service & treatment.

Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Nothing in owners manual only that the tracks need to occasionally be cleaned, i think it suggests like once per year. While I agree that the dealer is probably barking a bunch of crap at me, I'm prepared to bark right back and am choosing to go back to this particular dealer because I'll have recourse. If they guarantee their work or service it'll be easier for me to follow up with them since I already paid them. If they dick me around, I'll be lodging a complaint with kia USA and taking the car to another dealer. The local one I took it to to have it stored overnight said they wouldn't have charged me to have cleaned and lubricated the tracks but they said that every dealer operates differently.

The cheapest prices or freebies are usually when the item is not available or the service wasn't rendered, I have learned.
They said "they wouldn't have charged you" because you didn't bring it there.
No matter...Your logic is, well...logical, in keeping with the selling/servicing dealership until there is reason to go elsewhere.
I'm still curious regrading this Kia "exclusive" high tech lubricant they used to lube the tracks.
Be sure to try and have them disclose this well kept corporate secret as I'm sure all with panoramic roofs will benefit from such valuable information.
Perhaps it is used on the space shuttle and formulated by N.A.S.A. for reentry?
Perhaps it is used for reentry of another kind...

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
almost sounds like a problem with the power motor.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
First, don't tell any dealer again you took it somewhere else and they did anything to it if it is under warranty. And I do not suggest you have anyone else do any work if it is under warranty. Your problem is not a known issue that I have read about though there may have been someone who had problems.
You had no choice really but to sign and then pay for what the Dealer did that day. Now however I feel you need to really keep on them if it isn't fixed right and I do not believe they are correct about the one year maintenance. I might buy that if debris was found in the track etc but otherwise it would be my stance I want it fixed right under warranty. Make them show you where there is something to back up their maintenance claims. I might also look into getting a credit for what they charged you.
As suggested above if there is another dealer you can go to do that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all of your responses. I've followed suit and contacted the original dealer and made an appointment for Wednesday morning to bring the car in so they can rectify the problem. I made sure that I won't be charged for anything. If the problem discovered is a warranty covered item I will be demanding my $120 back.

For all of you guys with sunroofs, do you regularly "maintain" them by cleaning and lubricating? The explanation the dealer originally gave me kinda made sense, that the tracks are external versus those of a regular sunroof and therefor they're exposed to all elements. This is the first car I've "owned" verses leased. Previously I had a Mini Cooper with the pano roof and never had an issue with it. But I'm wondering if that's bc the dealer "maintained" it as part of the scheduled no cost Maintenence program.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
Hopefully your original dealer will figure this out.

My wife's 2001 PT Cruiser has a s'noof. It's worked fine for 15 years, no lube no other maintenance.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thank you for all of your responses. I've followed suit and contacted the original dealer and made an appointment for Wednesday morning to bring the car in so they can rectify the problem. I made sure that I won't be charged for anything. If the problem discovered is a warranty covered item I will be demanding my $120 back.

For all of you guys with sunroofs, do you regularly "maintain" them by cleaning and lubricating? The explanation the dealer originally gave me kinda made sense, that the tracks are external versus those of a regular sunroof and therefor they're exposed to all elements. This is the first car I've "owned" verses leased. Previously I had a Mini Cooper with the pano roof and never had an issue with it. But I'm wondering if that's bc the dealer "maintained" it as part of the scheduled no cost Maintenence program.
All my cars except convertibles obviously have had sunroofs for many years. I have done no maintenance to them never had a problem. I have done nothing to my 2014 Soul. It's not out of the question depending where you park and if you leave sunroof open when parked something couldn't cause a problem. But there should be no ongoing maintenance.

·
Registered
539 Posts

...I get a call from the manager stating that the tracks needed to be lubricated and cleaned and I will have to pay the $120.

He explained that because the panoramic roofs have tracks on the exterior, they're subjected to all of the elements and need this kind of Maintenence.

Sounds to me like you got hosed.

That said, where I live in Sunny Southern California
there are Jacaranda trees that drop these sticky purple flowers.
It is both a beauty and a curse for people that live near them.

Also, we have a species of tree that cracks sidewalks at will,
with surface roots, and drops these sinister berry's. They
make a big mess if you park underneath them. Step on a berry
and stain your carpeting, both your car and home.

IDK what "problem trees" you might have in your area?
Cherry trees? No wonder George Washington cut his down
when he was a youngster. I can not tell a lie,
some trees are nothing but trouble!

I figure, a one percent chance, it was a tree issue.

A ninety nine percent chance your moon-roof motor
is beginning to fail. That's my take on the sitch.

Keep us up to date on the way things finally turn out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tha ks everyone. Did more research last night about kia panoramic sunroof issues in general, not specific to the soul, and there is a whole thread on another forum about the 2015-2016 sorrento's having this same problem. There's a bulletin in North America for this issue for the sorrentos. I will be citing this tomorrow when I bring the car to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
Is there a way to manually close the sunroof until you get to the dealership?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dropped the car off this morning and picked it back up just now. DEaler had to call Kia for them to advise. They have to order and replace the sunroof rails. Parts should be in next week. When I asked if I were eligible for my $120+tax to be refunded since this is in fact a warranty issue, the service manager said he had to inquire about that with Kia also. I asked him when I can follow up with him about that and he said probably by tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Dropped the car off this morning and picked it back up just now. DEaler had to call Kia for them to advise. They have to order and replace the sunroof rails. Parts should be in next week. When I asked if I were eligible for my $120+tax to be refunded since this is in fact a warranty issue, the service manager said he had to inquire about that with Kia also. I asked him when I can follow up with him about that and he said probably by tomorrow.

I call B.S. here.
It was the dealer who charged you for something that did not remedy the issue.
It is the dealer who is responsible for refunding your $$$'s
I would wait till all issues are resolved then demand my 120 back or go the way of a credit dispute.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,070 Posts
^^^^^Agreed!!!

Reactions: Cits4K9
1 - 20 of 37 Posts