Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Guys,

Incredibly bad luck, the handle on my driver side Soul snapped off. I am getting so many mixed stories from calling the dealers that I don't know what to believe at this point don't frankly feel comfortable leaving it in their hands. Can any of you guys help me out with this? The part that broke is the portion that goes through the door itself. It looks like a black piece of plastic, broke off where it meets the handle. It looks like that piece may be separate from the actual handle...like it may slide into some grooves on the handle and be held on by a tiny set-screw at the end of the handle. Some KIA parts departments are telling me the whole handle must be purchased, and it doesn't come painted either. SO that clearly won't work. I tried looking in the service manual and it seems the whole door panel is going to have to come off?? Anyway, am just looking for any help or insight on this ..... if anybody has ever taken a door panel off, how difficult is it in reality? I could probably epoxy or super glue the broken piece back together, or do that and then also swap it with a rear door handle, but am still unsure if the piece that broke actually does separate from the handle or not. I'm thinking it must, so that people don't have to go re-painting door handles if that part breaks.

Swear I can never get consistent, confident answers from any of the dealers around me. Just maddening....

Help....

Sonic

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As your car is a 2013, why sweat this as it's a warranty part for sure!
(Under 60k I presume?)
Because the quality of work and competence in my area is zero. Less than zero. And it has been proven time and time again. SO yes, if I want to end up with my interior all scratched up and my body dented and made a mess of, sure I could have the dealer do it.

I was also told by one of the local dealers that the handles do NOT come painted. ??? I really hope that piece that broke indeed can be separated from the handle. Looks that way but I'm not certain....

This is definitely going to be a DIY if I want any chance of it turning out correctly....

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Because the quality of work and competence in my area is zero. Less than zero. And it has been proven time and time again. SO yes, if I want to end up with my interior all scratched up and my body dented and made a mess of, sure I could have the dealer do it.

I was also told by one of the local dealers that the handles do NOT come painted. ??? I really hope that piece that broke indeed can be separated from the handle. Looks that way but I'm not certain....

This is definitely going to be a DIY if I want any chance of it turning out correctly....
If it's under warranty then they have to paint it, too.

Why not check around for some decent dealerships? I could refer to one by me that's excellent, but it would be a bit of a trip for you...

For what it's worth, ALLDATA DIY has the sequence for replacing it and it doesn't look difficult at all. It's a subscription so I can't link you to it, but it looks like about an hour job to me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's under warranty then they have to paint it, too.

Why not check around for some decent dealerships? I could refer to one by me that's excellent, but it would be a bit of a trip for you...

For what it's worth, ALLDATA DIY has the sequence for replacing it and it doesn't look difficult at all. It's a subscription so I can't link you to it, but it looks like about an hour job to me.
Thanks. I found a link on how to remove the panel, but it doesn't go into the door handle aspect. It also doesn't show what is the full story with the "door screen". The "door screen" is apparently between the door chassis and the door panel, but in the pics it almost looks like it is a piece of thin sheet plastic that is glued to the door chassis. If that's the case, it doesn't look replaceable. ???

This is a nightmare. Especially because unless I can get a door handle in my hand, or locate somebody who has first-hand knowledge of them, it isn't going to be possible to determine if that plastic part that broke can be separated from the actual handle or not, so I can essentially re-use my door handle and not have to get into a whole painting nightmare.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Dude...(may I call you dude?) painting a door handle and/or replacing it for that matter, hardly constitutes a "nightmare" type situation.
Till you make the necessary repair, there are 3 other doors to access the vehicle from and the hatch as well.
Color matching, if necessary, should not be that difficult with the modern age of paint technology.
Heck...even if you had to vinyl wrap or plasti dip the handles or apply some of those chrome overlays, none of that would qualify this as the "nightmare" you seem to be in a tailspin over.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,619 Posts
This is from Kia Tech, not sure if it helps or not?

Door1.jpg door2.jpg

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys. What I have determined is there is a door handle, and an inside assembly (base). The part that broke is what "connects" the handle to the inside assembly. This may not be a major problem IF the piece that broke separates from both the handle and assembly. If it is instead a fixed part of the handle I am screwed. Is there anybody on the forum who has a spare Soul handle by chance they can look at to see if this part detaches? There is a very tiny set-screw on the end edge of the handle that I'm guessing might hold this part in place but without seeing one it is going to be impossible to tell what kind of predicament I am in, which parts are needed, and how to go about fixing it. The dealers I spoke with are clueless, they had no experience with this specific matter and could not confirm anything at all. Pathetic.

The part I suppose could be called an "actuator", being the part of the handle that goes through the door and triggers the door assembly. It can be seen in one of the photos on the eBay listing that Sradiator posted above. Until somebody can answer whether or not that actuator can be removed from the handle or not, I am totally dead in the water. There is also a gasket that seals the hole to the door that I just realized is missing, I suspect one will come with a new door handle. Again though, the question remains can the actuator piece that extends off the handle be removed from said handle??

Granted, I could try to remove the handle and attempt to figure this all out but I don't want to be disassembling and reassembling things more than once. Any idea if I could drive with the door panel off for a while (and window/locking harnesses disconnected) or will the car computer freak out?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
There is another possibility....it is possible the backside of the door handle is a single molded piece including the actuator, but the fascia (painted portion) may be removable being held on by the set screw at the end edge. This would make more sense actually.

If any of you guys that have 2012/2013 Souls could take a quick look and share your thoughts I'd really appreciate it. Just lock the door so you can pull and hold the handle out and then look at the back side of it, as well as see the set screw at the end edge. (All four side door handles are the same) The top fascia will be the body color, the backside & actuator will be black. Set screw is a very small star type.

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Just dive in. If you don't want to paint it, just tell yourself that it is a feature or a special edition to have that door handle out of the box in a different color. It is that way so it does not confuse folks as to which door the driver enters through :tongue-new:. Since this is the first time I have seen anyone write about it, I would assume that it is not a common topic and that probably no one it going to be able to help you out much. You can be a pioneer for us :).

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So...are you in or out of the B-B 5/60 warranty period?
I'm in. But again, having the dealer handle the installation is not an option unless I want much bigger, potentially non-fixable issues. If my dealer (chain actually) wasn't a complete bunch of jackholes I could probably get them to order the part and paint it so I could install it myself. But from past experience I know they are entirely uncooperative. The dealerships around here are set up to make money on service more than they are on car sales, it is a separate business basically. They survive by getting paid by KIA, and in my area do the work as quickly as possible using the cheapest help possible. Totally understandable for various reasons that they would not want many types of DIY work done, but something small like a door handle or some of the other small issues I've had, there is no reason for them not to cooperate. I first need to determine if the OEM handle (and by OEM I mean one directly from a vehicle, not an after-purchase part) somehow allows the painted top fascia to come off. If so, I could go to a junkyard to get any color replacement and use the handle core. If not, then my options are limited and will have to use an OEM after-purchase part and get it painted. I have no problem ordering one, but I'm not wanting to pay $100+ for painting and not even have the painter on the hook to do it right (no leverage through KIA). So in that event I really need to find a dealership who will order and paint the part for me under warranty. Trust me, you have no earthly idea how utterly horrible and incompetent and uncooperative the dealership chain is that I bought my car from, and how awful both my car and myself were treated. I was going to post the story on here a few years ago but I was afraid a moderator would yank it because it is really THAT bad.

If anybody has any references to a dealer that might help me out in the Central FL area please let me know....or anywhere for that fact, doesn't really matter what part of the country a painted handle comes from.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Wow...well...alrighty then...Seems you really have some major disdain for the selling dealership.
That being said there are more fish and servicing dealers in that sea!
To put yourself out and thru all this apparent trauma/drama just seems unnecessary to me.
If you are getting this wound up over a door handle, I can only imagine what your blood pressure will do of something more major.
This is why I buy new and this is what warranties are for and not to utilize it is a shame i.m.o.
I do most of my own work though and only go back for warranty work or recalls both of which have been non issue in 4 years of ownership.
I'd find another dealership more accommodating and to your liking and let them sweat the small stuff!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Wow, is right, Relax it's JUST a broken door handle. You have other ways to get in and out of your car.
The handle is 23.00, the base, if needed is 25.00. Any body shop can paint for you should not be more than 45.00 or so to paint. Painted part in your hand for under $100.00. Take the door panel off and change the door handle. Not hard.
Myself, I would take to another Kia dealer, and have it ALL DONE FOR FREE!! Lets say you blow your engine? You going to pay for that out of pocket also? That's what your warranty is for!
I can only imagine how you would act if you had a REAL problem.

Reactions: conwelpic

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
**** UPDATE AND SOLUTION *****

Okay, so to cut to the chase, I was able to fix the door handle myself, with minimal intrusion and it is back to 100% original factory condition. It was a heck of a research project but now that I have the answers I want to share them with the forum so if anybody else ever breaks a door handle they can save themselves a lot of headache and potential damage to their car (door being ripped apart, etc). So here goes....

Okay, just a reminder, keep in mind we are talking about the driver side door here, which has special circumstances/challenges due to the lock assembly.

There are two parts to the problem: 1) Getting the handle on and off. 2) Getting a replacement handle back to 100% original factory condition.

According to the manual, and every dealer and body shop I spoke with, the door must be taken apart. THIS IS FALSE. There is a method to avoid this. You must remove the lock assembly set-screw (accessed from the side door frame) so you can pull the lock assembly away from the door body. You need to be gentle here, I recommend gently assisting by pushing the assembly from the inside. Watch carefully in front and you will see when you have it pushed out as much as you can - be careful as it is still connected to the lock rod in the door by plastic parts, so do not go forcing anything. Okay, so removing the handle is fairly easy at this point: While holding the lock cylinder aside, slide the handle over and it should then unlatch and be removable.

Next step, get a new handle. BUT here's another major catch - YOU DO NOT NEED TO GET IT PAINTED. You will hear pretty much every dealer and body shop tell you the handle needs to be painted. WRONG. Your old handle (and new handle) can be separated, they are TWO PIECES. You first need to remove a pair of screws. One is a normal phillips on the underside front. The other is a TINY star screw at the end. You may need to go to Lowes and buy a $5 mini-driver set. Once the screws are removed, you want to take a small flat head screwdriver and work from the side-edge of the handle on the end where the star screw was, under the rubber gasket. Be careful not to tear off the gasket (it is glued on the end where the star screw goes). The handle should separate and you can then pull it apart. Take your time with this, you don't want to damage the plastic. It is doable though, I did it twice successfully, both with the old and new handle. Then you can simply swap the original painted top onto the new bottom part. Put the screws back in and you are done - new handle with the original painted fascia!

Finally, to put the handle back on the door simply reverse the steps to get it off. HOWEVER there is one key extra step: To get the handle's L-hook to go into the door you must loop a piece of string around the catch inside the door. You will see it if you look in with a flashlight - it is a little black bar. You want to loop a piece of string around it so than you can pull it toward the face of the door while simultaneously pushing into the door handle. Once it goes in, simply release and pull out the string. Then slide the handle back over, push in the lock assembly and tighten the set screw. Done !!!

This took a TON of research, inquiring and experimenting to run to ground so hopefully in the future it helps anyone who's door handle breaks. The driver door is especially challenging because of the lock cylinder obstacle. The other three door are even easier. With this post, somebody should be able to get their door handle replaced, with OEM part and appearance, with very minimal work and effort.

Lastly, remember this solution is for Gen 1 Souls with pull-out (not pull-up) handles.

Sonic

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
My dealer, Citrus Kia, in Crystal River, FL, has been so helpful to me, with various little complaints, that I just can't imagine any Kia dealer being less helpful.
But I suppose there can be..... I'm just glad I don't have one of those dealers.

If I have a service question and can't get a hold of my Service Manager (Paul) I ask for the Parts Manager (Mike) and I get the info I need.
If I get the service writer (Amanda) she can always get me to the right person to answer my questions.
That technique has never failed.

In all the years I've been doing business with car dealers (over 50 years now), I've never had a better car dealer than Citrus Kia.

It always helps if you visit your dealer often and make friends with the key people there. Then when you call, they aren't dealing with a total stranger.
I'm on first name basis, with the key people at Citrus Kia. I like it like that.

Cheers Mates! Happy Motoring!

TechnoMage :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts