Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the form.

I had my odometer screen go black and when I brought it to the Kia dealership they told me yes this is a problem they are aware of and will replace it (car is still under warranty). The dealer said I had to come in as soon as the part was in as it will be calibrated to my current km's. Well, I went in as soon as the part was in and low and behold the km reading started back at 0 (which they NEVER told me...I had to start driving away before I noticed it). They have placed a sticker inside my door that says the km's before the new instrument cluster.

In short I'm not happy and both the Dealership and Kia Canada have told me "we are washing our hands of this" as they say they are in full compliance with the Weights and Measures Act. I'm still under my 60,000km warranty and now am taking Kia Canada to Arbitration and have a court date for August 2nd.

My question is, has anyone else had this problem and what have they done about it? Or do you have any ideas/information that I can use to win my court case...I don't feel safe with this car (had most other electrical components replaced...new navigation system, new instrument cluster, keyless car entry doesn't work sometimes and can't lock my doors).

Cheers,
Jill

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
so if they said it will be calibrated to your current kilometers why did you not just go right back and ask why it was not done - can they even do such a thing? How many kilometers on your vehicle when this was done? Why would it going back to zero be that big of a thing, if its noted that that this is not the case.

You have a balance of a 5 yr or 100,000 km warranty, not sure where 60k came from.

Did you talk to KIA Canada about it or contact CAMVAP (info is in the back of your warranty book)?
With regards the speedometer replacement it just says "If the speedometer has been replaced, the "speedometer replacement Record" on the inside front cover must be filled in by an authorized Kia Dealer".

Can't help you on your problems as I had a 2012 for four years and never encountered anything, almost six months on my current 2016 and no problems so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Conwelpic,

I did go straight back to them and there words were "oh sorry, did we forget to tell you". Kia Canada says they are aware that this is an issue and are working on it (no ETA in site and I've found other people with a similar problem dating back to 2012).

An email from Kia Canada (word for word):
This Soul cluster Manufacturer is SI22: Continental and is not able to be calibrated at this time.

The list below is the known manufactures with calibration issues. However, P068: Denso are now able to be calibrated by Custone.
In the meantime, KCI is in full compliance with the Weights and Measures Act for where we apply the decal at the time of the cluster replacement.

AKNH: Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia, inc..
H5FG: YAZAKI CORPORATION in Japan
P068: DENSO KOREA ELECTRONICS CORP in Korea
SI22: Continental Automotive Electronics Ltd in Korea
S110: Dae Dong in Korea

To answer your question about why it would be a big thing is that I don't feel safe in this vehicle anymore and I'm trying to sell it...I've had my doors not want to lock (random thing), back up camera went black (not a fuse and can't find the problem) and my whole navigation go on me (had a brand new one put in)...so in short, there seems to be electrical issues with this car and I want to sell it BUT people get scared off when they see the KM's not working properly on a new car.

I have a court date through CAMVAP tomorrow and have put in a complaint with AMVIC so we will see what happens. Was curious if others on this form might have a solution!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi FLMamster,

Thanks for the information...I will research grounding problems to see what I can find. Ya...I'm with you and quite disappointed with the Kia engineering department...they have know about this issue since 2012 and their response is "we are aware of the problem and working on it"!

·
Registered
242 Posts
So how did the meeting go? Did they take back your car or are you stuck with it?

I had a pickup truck that was in shop more than at home. U. S. Lemon Law and GM had to buy back. I still lost money but got out from under a bad deal with no marks against credit rating. Hope you made out alright with getting another Kia.

·
Banned
103 Posts
Whats the big deal? This situation actually helps you in the long run. Think about it, when you sell it or trade it in, it's gonna be a nice used "low mile" vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Hi Conwelpic,

I did go straight back to them and there words were "oh sorry, did we forget to tell you". Kia Canada says they are aware that this is an issue and are working on it (no ETA in site and I've found other people with a similar problem dating back to 2012).
An email from Kia Canada (word for word):
This Soul cluster Manufacturer is SI22: Continental and is not able to be calibrated at this time.
The list below is the known manufactures with calibration issues. However, P068: Denso are now able to be calibrated by Custone.
In the meantime, KCI is in full compliance with the Weights and Measures Act for where we apply the decal at the time of the cluster replacement.
AKNH: Kia Motors Manufacturing Georgia, inc..
H5FG: YAZAKI CORPORATION in Japan
P068: DENSO KOREA ELECTRONICS CORP in Korea
SI22: Continental Automotive Electronics Ltd in Korea
S110: Dae Dong in Korea
To answer your question about why it would be a big thing is that I don't feel safe in this vehicle anymore and I'm trying to sell it...I've had my doors not want to lock (random thing), back up camera went black (not a fuse and can't find the problem) and my whole navigation go on me (had a brand new one put in)...so in short, there seems to be electrical issues with this car and I want to sell it BUT people get scared off when they see the KM's not working properly on a new car.
I have a court date through CAMVAP tomorrow and have put in a complaint with AMVIC so we will see what happens. Was curious if others on this form might have a solution!
Jill,
You continue to post to the Gen 1 forum, even though you are driving a Gen 2 car. ???
There ARE differences, but one thing that I've observed, that has not changed is the VERY POOR grounding.

At a Kia dealership, I pointed this problem out to one of the sales people one day, and he looked at me like I was speaking Russian. It was obvious that his mechanical ability was somewhere between zero and Nil.

So I've given up, even mentioning it to any Kia dealership personnel.

But if I had to troubleshoot a car with so many electrical/electronic problems, I'd be all over the grounding problem like white on rice. Without exception, EVERY electrical circuit in the car grounds to the frame of the car and then to the battery through that one little 12" ground wire, that's bolted down to a painted surface. I'll repeat what I've said at least a thousand times now...."Paint does not conduct Electricity".
That leaves just one little bolt, to ground the entire car. Not good at best and HORRIBLE at the worse.

And the problem gets worse with age, as other ground points in the car begin to rust, corrode or loosen.

Good Luck to you, and Happy Holidays!

FLH :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts