Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new Soul! at the beginning of the month and it's been a killer winter so far here in New England, have 18" wheels with the stock tires and just doesn't leave me with a safe feeling when driving through a snow storm... also i am always having to get down on the ground on the side of the road and clean out between the spokes because the vibration is out of control! After reading alot here I am set on the idea to get a set of 16" wheels with snow tires, I care much less about the look, and more worried about an affordable price. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I drive my SX on 16" winter tires. I bought 4 Toyo Garit KX 205/55R16 with 4 rims (grey). Here in Canada we drive in snow for about 4-5 months. They work great in any winter condition, pretty good on icy road.

Robert:)
4U SX 5s polar

·
Registered
509 Posts
There are a few threads on this site about driver experiences with winter tires -- including ours.

I think the key to getting the right winter tires is determining what kind of road conditions you face. For example, around here they plow often, so I'm rarely driving through brand-new snow. But what's left is packed down and icy -- and there's enough traffic that overnight refreeze is a problem the next morning. So, for me, it's better to have a winter tire with great ice traction. Being able to cut through several inches of snow is not as important to me. But it might be if I lived out in the country where the plow -- and other traffic -- comes by less frequently. Then I could live without the ultimate in ice grip (less to slide into) so long as the tire threw out the snow it was passing through.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
New Tires for factory 16" wheel

Just about to reach 50,000 miles & have run my nexen to the cords, well not quite, but definatly past due. I like the factory 16" wheel ok so no changes there, But new rubber is coming soon

Here are some choice's for 205/55r/16 from local Discount tire

Kumho Solus Xpert KH20 @ 85.00
Goodyear Eagle RS-A @ 90.00
Kumho Ecsta ASX @ 101.00
Bridgestone Potenza G @ 108.00
Pirelli P4 ---- @ 114.00 ( 4 tires out the door w/warr = 650.00 )

top of my list for tires on my Soul would be
1. Noize
2. Ride comfort
3. Rolling resistance
4. Fowl weather handling

I'm leaning towards the Pirelli's, they claim an 85,000 mile tread wear ( seems high )

Any Input or Comments on tire choice's Welcome. . . . . . . .:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts