Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!! Hello
Newbie here
and I am getting a 2011 Kia Soul for my 17th birthday !!!!! (hopefully)
I just wish I could get it sooner ;p :)
So thats it, i really joined this fourm because I'm in love with the Kia Soul
its cute, and looks like its fun to drive, but I'm a newbie and I would like to hear your pro/cons about everything about the Kia Soul first hand before I..my mom purchases it for me!

Thanks for future advice!!
(I'll keep everyone updated whenever I get my Kia Soul !!!)

·
Registered
262 Posts
welcome!

and my gosh, If only I were so lucky! I didn't get my first car until I was 20, and that was a very old, very beat up CRV.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
How do you Americans do it???..... the kids over here cant afford anything approaching a new car until they are in their 20s and have a full time well paid job!!!!.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was wondering that myself, i have just turned 39 and this will be the first brand new car i have been able to afford, i have always had second hand cars.

Life (child) has taken over until now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks, Im glad to be apart of the Soul community

and to anwer questions

Mostly at my school and pretty much all of texas, every teenager (almost everyone) has a 2010 mustang or the dodge that looks like the mustang , I dont know if they have to work for their car because most of the time getting the 1st car is gift , but I'm working hard for my car

See when I turn 17 I'll be a senior, so the Kia SOUL is graduation gift from my mom & dad, just like when my sister was a senior and her gift was the fouth generation ford mustang (she graduated in 2001)

but I have to make an A or B avearge in all my class (I'm taking 2 AP/college course class which are really hard), Secondly, I have 3,000 in the bank due to working at gamestop, best buy, and fixing computers over last summer (my parents are adding to it), Thridly well I have been working really hard, my mom gave me the freedom to drive her car (sicion Xa) to school/mall/runing her errands ;/ so now she thinks its time for me to get my own car!!

like I said its a gift, but I'm working hard towards it :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
jeez! My graduation gift was a guitar amp. But that wasn't cheap either so I am thankful for it.

I paid for my own first car at 20, had my license since 16 though. Bought a second used car at 23 (the first one got demo'd by a drunk driver while it was parked).

The Soul I just bought is my very first NEW car, and 3rd car overall. I'm approaching 26. No one I know my age has a new car, or even a car withing 5 years of new. I feel as though I've managed the financial end of things fairly well in that respect.

Good luck on your prospective purchase and college? if you're headed that route!

·
Registered
25 Posts
what can i say, well done for working hard.

Most teenagers in the uk think it's their god given right to have new things, not only cars but everything from the best phones to ipads to tv's and more expensivly cars.

I am not speaking from experience as my 16 year old daughter is pretty well behaved and doesn't really ask for much. Guess i'm lucky !!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started working/saving for a car when I was about 14 yrs old. Then, in 1968, my dad went out and bought himself a brand new 1968 Pontiac GTO, a pretty hot car back then. He graciously offered me his Oldsmobile for $1000, which I accepted.

It was tough driving that old Olds (no pun intended) with a brand spanking new GTO in the stable. He did let me drive it to church on Sundays, or if I had a special date that I was trying to impress :)

By mid 1968, I had enough of the Olds and traded it on a brand new 1968 Pontiac Firebird. The payments were a manageable $73/mo, which I could easily cover with my afterschool jobs. My dad covered the insurance (miniscule back then) and I paid for maintenance and gas (gas was about 25cents/gal). Ah, the good ole days.

Point is, if you work hard, save your money, etc. you can maybe afford a new car. I just watched my daughter buy a brand new 2011 Soul+. She is one year out of college, lives on her own, and has a decent job but by no means makes a lot of money (less than 30k/yr I'm sure). But she has learned how to save and budget, so is able to handle the monthly payments (about 200/mo I think). She absolutely loves the Soul.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts