Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a Vanilla Soul 4U Retro, pick it up tomorrow! I plan to make a few minor modifications (possibly a grill), but keep it classy. I'll post pics soon. What's the general consensus of the Soul's winter driving ability?

·
Registered
323 Posts
So far I've not been unhappy. I was worried I might need actual winter tires, but honestly the winter here has been mild compared to the norm. The car has handled pretty well for me. Its also a lot of fun to use the e-brake for turns!

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Welcome to the forums. I thought mine was pretty good in the snow and Ice. If I lived in snow country I would get a set of snow tires but for the few times a year I might be driving in the white stuff it's just fine.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hey there, good purchase. if i ever purchase a new soul in about 4/5 years time i'll be getting a white sx manual :) instead of a black burner automatic

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a white 2U and put winter tires on it, I have the 18" tires that came with the car but put 15" rims on for winter. Way cheaper and they look pretty good. I managed to get mag rims and winter tires for less than what it would have cost me for just the winter rubber in 18's. I live outside of Red Deer and after the very first snow dusting I couldn't get into my driveway that has a slight incline. So the winter tires were definately a necessity for me and I would recommend for anyone having to drive in real snow and ice areas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the same one (Vanilla 4u Retro) I put 15" winter tires and rims on and it works great in the snow! I like it much better than my xterra!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quite the welcoming comitee! Haven't seen many Souls in Calgary but it's good to know they're out there.
I think I'll wait to get winter tires, since they usually go on sale in the fall (I'll probably get 16" tires and steel rims). I heard Canadian Tire has a deal where if you buy a set of tires and rims from them they'll swap them for you in the fall and winter for free for 5 years (or something like that).
I just got an ipod cable for my soul and am waiting on headlight eyeliners and a center storage bin/armrest. Next time I wash the Soul I'll take some photos and post them.
I heard that the plastics in the interior scratch easily so I'm being very careful - have any of you had problems with scratches? Any suggestions to prevent them?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Nothing compares to a good set of snow tires for the winter. Had them on all my cars when I lived in the Colorado mountains. Soul will not be stopped with those on!

·
Registered
208 Posts
FYI Scratch issue also...

Quite the welcoming comitee! Haven't seen many Souls in Calgary but it's good to know they're out there.
I think I'll wait to get winter tires, since they usually go on sale in the fall (I'll probably get 16" tires and steel rims). I heard Canadian Tire has a deal where if you buy a set of tires and rims from them they'll swap them for you in the fall and winter for free for 5 years (or something like that).
I just got an ipod cable for my soul and am waiting on headlight eyeliners and a center storage bin/armrest. Next time I wash the Soul I'll take some photos and post them.
I heard that the plastics in the interior scratch easily so I'm being very careful - have any of you had problems with scratches? Any suggestions to prevent them?
I just brought my Soul in last week to my dealer to have the scratches on the interior panels fixed and what they did was apply a coating over top of the existing plastic which seemed to help...
They applied some coating over top of it by a company here in Calgary called Fibrenew that seemed to cover the existing scratches...
A few days ago, I went to clean it using the Armour All Cleaning Wipes and the coating that they applied lifted off and I was left with little flakes of plastic on the cleaning wipe... I showed the damage to the dealer here and they said that they would reapply the coating... I said to them " what guarantees this won't occur again..

I called Kia Canada yesterday and they said that they would get back to me with another solution within the next few days... hopefully replace the panels with the higher quality plastic that they are using now on the newer production models...

My point is that if they say they will "fix" it by applying a coating , say no and you want another solution...
If they tell me that this is normal where and tear , I am going not to be real vocal with them...
It is fricking pathetic that you have to be cautious on cleaning your interior.. eh???

I suggest all owners push Kia to have these panels replaced...

then today went to clean the center console where the sunglasses go with armour all cleaning wipes and then using the protectant after and low and behold I now have a new scratch about 3 cm long just about when the little lever is to open..I ensure that I did not rub hard knowing the quality of the plastic ...

I called Kia and tacked this onto a previous call in regards to the interior door panels... they said that they are looking for another soultion other than applying a cover over the panels...
I see the only solution is to replace the panel and the console cover with those that of better quality on the new models of the Soul..I suggest that all us owners start phoning and emailing these guys to apply the pressure on them to fix us up!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here's a pic of my Retro Soul:

My Kia dealership in Calgary is replacing the scrath-prone panels in my Vehicle next week. Apparently the new panels are made of a different material.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I Travel long distances throughout the year(1200km weekly,4u burner),they handle well in snow however winter tires are recomended,not a very heavy car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi from Calgary - Vanilla Shake with houndstooth rocks - might see you on the road. I bought 16" rims from Kia and Michelin Ice Winters from Costco, plastic wheel covers from Walmart and you'd never know they are winters. I am a total winter tire convert, the whole family fleet has them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Winter Driving

Just purchased a Vanilla Soul 4U Retro, pick it up tomorrow! I plan to make a few minor modifications (possibly a grill), but keep it classy. I'll post pics soon. What's the general consensus of the Soul's winter driving ability?
Hello Houndstooth. Just had our Soul for about a month here in Edmonton Alberta and spent a bit more money for 16 inch goodyear snow tires on steel wheels. The driving ability in the snow is nothing but fantastic!! We have had over 2 feet this last week and the wife being a letter carrier has no reservations about driving in the residential roads. Winter driving in the soul is exeptional!!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'm in Southern Ontario and don't get a whole lot of snow, maybe 8" at a time. All I have on are my factory all seasons and driving in the snow is a blast. The traction control and the 4 wheel antilock make it a breeze to navigate the roads around here. It is actually fun to drive in the snow again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts