Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing some HUD (Heads up Displays) in searches for cars that connect to the ODBII connector. These might be toys for the bored but they are certainly inexpensive averaging less than $50 all over amazon and other places.

has anyone tried them, have them, love them/hate them, or have any thoughts about them?

My wife wants car-to-car missiles or particle beam weapons but I told her this might be the first step! :tongue-new:

Wishing all of you a wonderful December!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seems like a pretty cool idea, but I'd be interested in how efficient they are.
I can't imagine you being able to see a reflection off your window on a bright summer day... Maybe? idk.

Please post an update if you purchase one :D

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I so far see two basic types. One that uses a plastic sheet that goes on the windshield to take care of the double image from the ply windshield; and the other uses a stand alone small plastic/glass windshield thing like a fighter HUD has. The stand alone is $49 for the stand and window no projection device. It uses your cell phone and they have apps for it.

Right now there are too many choices. It may take a bit to wade thru them. The really nice ones are in start up phase as businesses. They may never have products on the streets. I guess I have a new addition to my hobbies.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=hud+display+q7&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Ahud+display+q7

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
I have seen demos of these made for car HUD devices, few production ones and some concept ones. The cheaper ones seem to have issues with glare and shadows while the more expensive ones I have seen work fairly well in the demos. Good luck with your search having something reliable, functions well, and is relatively inexpensive would be nice when and if the technology matures to that point.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I so far see two basic types. One that uses a plastic sheet that goes on the windshield to take care of the double image from the ply windshield; and the other uses a stand alone small plastic/glass windshield thing like a fighter HUD has. The stand alone is $49 for the stand and window no projection device. It uses your cell phone and they have apps for it.

Right now there are too many choices. It may take a bit to wade thru them. The really nice ones are in start up phase as businesses. They may never have products on the streets. I guess I have a new addition to my hobbies.

http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=hud+display+q7&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Ahud+display+q7
I respect anyone that has strong feelings for a hobby.
I sure have a few.

However,a major cause of road accidents(and deaths)are distractions by texting,fooling with
devices that detract from driving.

Keep it at home.
You may live longer.

Just sayin...

Thank you

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You should contact BMW, cadillac, and other luxury carmakers to warn them. They may not know what you know!

and moderators? You can close this thread if you'd like. This guy is taking the wind out of my sails anyway. I'll just block him and move on.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
You should contact BMW, cadillac, and other luxury carmakers to warn them. They may not know what you know!

and moderators? You can close this thread if you'd like. This guy is taking the wind out of my sails anyway. I'll just block him and move on.
Point taken.

I believe you will see in the future a crackdown on those makes due to the Federal Gov. increased
safety standards.
Enjoy your hobby.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,414 Posts
Hey SOUTH SOUL, I know what you mean, more and more distractions are being put in cars. Putting "tablets" literally in the drivers line of sight right up on the dashboard seems insane to me. It says "look at me, love me, drivers." Traffic accidents happen so quickly, even if you are paying attention. Factor in all of this mass distraction going on in this country with cell phones & the like coupled with marginal intelligence behind the wheel...........I get where you are coming from.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.