Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too literate on forums, so I know I read of previous headliner issues (2013's or so), but this Soul is new since October 2016. With windows rolled up, three other doors closed, closing the driver door results each time in a rattling in the roof. Anybody had this in the 2016 Soul models? How did Kia respond to your issue? Has their fix stood the test of time? I have an appointment at service tomorrow.

BTW
Getting appointments by phone is awful (not awesome) with my dealer. They divert to internet bookings. I don't have internet. I'm 1.5 hours from the dealer.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
no I haven't had the problem on my 2016 SX, almost sounds like a possible loose fitting in the area but sometimes the sound can transmit from other areas.

Why are you not using the dealership in Smith Falls as its only 20 minutes from Perth?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,531 Posts
No headliner problems here. What are the previous issues you referenced (2013 or so)?

Were you able to glean any information from that? Does this noise continue when you drive? How hard do you close the door (slam)?

I would do a little of my own investigation before involving service. Maybe have another person close the door while you apply hand pressure to the headliner to isolate the noise. It could be something as simple as your sunglasses rattling in the visor case. Noise easily carries in a car & is often not caused by what you may think it is.

On mine, I noticed a noise above my head. Turned out if I opened the 2 small covers on the drivers ceiling handle & tightened the 2 screws, it went away.

Best of luck & keep us posted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The near dealership has a history of not calling back when pledged; booked many times for appt., then when I show up (always early), they all head off to break for lunch. I had a small gap on the 2011 soul at the antenna - asked them about it. Would not step 30 feet to look. Booked for two weeks later. Told them if just silicone seal, I don't want it done. On date, time, they went again to lunch. I repeated no silicone treatment. They did the treatment . $30 I didn't need to spend. Could have baought a lot of siiicone for that. They broke their jig when changing a $180 dollar tire, and in the process, the wheel was bent. Tires wore badly thereafter. Changed oil, checked wipers. Wrote that wiper was torn. I replaced it. Next oil change, same comment. I checked blade; not torn. I've phoned, got transfered. The call rang on and on. I re-dialed and told the person, who said sarcastically, " I'll get right on it" when I told him. And these are only a few of my experience there. This is my consistent experience with them. Even oil changes at half price is too risky to entrust the vehicle to them. That's why I don't go there. That's why I bought an hour and a half away.

I well know that sound migrates and is elusive. Dealer in Ottawa found that even the showroom Soul had a slight rattle, and said it's hard to get authorization to do a deeper investigation, that it needs to get worse to be more definitive. Seems reasonable to me. So, I live with the new car rattle.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
From your comments it sounds like your relationship with them has become personal & a breakdown in communications.

I'm not sure how much forum members can help you track down a rattle online. You mentioned you don't have internet. How are you posting these messages?

You can always elevate you dealer complaints to Kia Corporate. As a loyal Soul owner you should get some results.

Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No headliner problems here. What are the previous issues you referenced (2013 or so)?

Were you able to glean any information from that? Does this noise continue when you drive? How hard do you close the door (slam)?

I would do a little of my own investigation before involving service. Maybe have another person close the door while you apply hand pressure to the headliner to isolate the noise. It could be something as simple as your sunglasses rattling in the visor case. Noise easily carries in a car & is often not caused by what you may think it is.

On mine, I noticed a noise above my head. Turned out if I opened the 2 small covers on the drivers ceiling handle & tightened the 2 screws, it went away.

Best of luck & keep us posted.
No noise in motion. Close door carefully, not slam.
Re service, was there yesterday. I could hear it, the tech said his noisy environment affects his hearing. Nothing done. We did find a showroom Soul had some sort of door rattle. You can actually hear my noise best from outside. I am aware of noise transfering along and seemiing to be from somewhere other than the source. As you know, it's hard to be near two locations to source sound / noise issues. Thanks, I will keep you(s) posted.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From your comments it sounds like your relationship with them has become personal & a breakdown in communications.

I'm not sure how much forum members can help you track down a rattle online. You mentioned you don't have internet. How are you posting these messages?

You can always elevate you dealer complaints to Kia Corporate. As a loyal Soul owner you should get some results.

Good luck.
I don't perceive the service issue as personal. However, it may be. We've all been civil, just the service was not what I'd expect in a corporate world.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
Thanks Rio. It seems like something is tapping against the roof frame then. If you open all the windows & close the front door does it still happen? If not, wondering if the air compression (with all windows closed) is pushing the headliner & perhaps a dome light (or other wiring) is tapping the roof. Maybe even the wiring from the antenna.

It seems like a look at a schematic of what's in that area might help locate the culprit.

Again, good luck. I know how frustrating ghost noises are in a car.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
a.

Again, good luck. I know how frustrating ghost noises are in a car.
You got that right, how is this for one for the books, some years ago a friend bought a CPO Camry from a Toyota dealer, he had it back a number of times for an elusive rattle. The dealer spent many hours to no avail, It was bugging him so much he was contemplating trading it, a mechanic persuaded him to let him have one last try, he decided to pull all the seats right out of the car in order to go over it front to back, when he pulled out the drivers seat a ball bearing fell on the floor. The damn bearing was in the seat track and when you braked would roll one way, you took off it rolled the other.

Pat.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The near dealership has a history of not calling back when pledged; booked many times for appt., then when I show up (always early), they all head off to break for lunch. I had a small gap on the 2011 soul at the antenna - asked them about it. Would not step 30 feet to look. Booked for two weeks later. Told them if just silicone seal, I don't want it done. On date, time, they went again to lunch. I repeated no silicone treatment. They did the treatment . $30 I didn't need to spend. Could have baought a lot of siiicone for that. They broke their jig when changing a $180 dollar tire, and in the process, the wheel was bent. Tires wore badly thereafter. Changed oil, checked wipers. Wrote that wiper was torn. I replaced it. Next oil change, same comment. I checked blade; not torn. I've phoned, got transfered. The call rang on and on. I re-dialed and told the person, who said sarcastically, " I'll get right on it" when I told him. And these are only a few of my experience there. This is my consistent experience with them. Even oil changes at half price is too risky to entrust the vehicle to them. That's why I don't go there. That's why I bought an hour and a half away.

I well know that sound migrates and is elusive. Dealer in Ottawa found that even the showroom Soul had a slight rattle, and said it's hard to get authorization to do a deeper investigation, that it needs to get worse to be more definitive. Seems reasonable to me. So, I live with the new car rattle.
Clarification: The "near " dealership is NOT the Smiths Falls dealership. I just realized what was not correct here, today.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I had an intermittent rattle in my Soul, thought it was coming from the dash. Then it would be gone. I thought I was jinxed when going to a particular client's home as the rattle would stopped after the last visit, the started again when I would start the next pet sitting gig leaving their house. The culprit was the GARAGE DOOR OPENER that I would clip on the visor. Last visit I would leave the GDO at their house. The springy holder made a buzzing sound.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Thanks Rio. It seems like something is tapping against the roof frame then. If you open all the windows & close the front door does it still happen? If not, wondering if the air compression (with all windows closed) is pushing the headliner & perhaps a dome light (or other wiring) is tapping the roof. Maybe even the wiring from the antenna.

It seems like a look at a schematic of what's in that area might help locate the culprit.

Again, good luck. I know how frustrating ghost noises are in a car. "

Thanks, GeoSoul - the sound is when all windows are closed. It's hard to believe the tech could not hear it; but that's human hearing for you. Variable, person to person. It does irritate the living heck out of me. And to think I have to be aware of it every time I use this car for the next 8 years or so .... grr.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The interesting thing is that you can also hear this rattle from outside. No such roof rattle in motion, when engine starts, stopping, or any such. It is only apparent to my ears when the door is closed.

Apparently, the roof area does not have "support ribs". That, from my experience with a Dodge van many years ago, was my suspicion, - that some adhesive had come loose, or was missing. Apparently, the wiring harness up there just lies up there, free to wander hither and yon. I mean ... not so much as a few strips of tape, even?

That suggests there is no adhesive keeping the roof snug to the headliner. No wonder a closing door might cause a wiring harness to judder / rattle.

But this is all supposition, and until some tech, somewhere, looks, we won't know. But to live with it for 8 years or so, with every single door closing is just such a big irritant. It's not even a quarter of a year in its life yet.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
^^^^ Dang, Rio, I can tell how frustrated you are & I am the same way about that kind of sh#t.

Are you thinking the answer is to remove the headliner & look at every wire, connector etc? I'm not sure how big a job it would be but I know a guy on here has removed his to add LEDs in a cool way.

If Kia won't do it, it might be worth an afternoon (or day?) of work. Like you said, it will bug you for the next 8 years.

When I bought a new Acura, which had multiple rattles, they would not track them down. Needless to say they lost me as a return customer.

I feel your pain.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^^ Dang, Rio, I can tell how frustrated you are & I am the same way about that kind of sh#t.

Are you thinking the answer is to remove the headliner & look at every wire, connector etc? I'm not sure how big a job it would be but I know a guy on here has removed his to add LEDs in a cool way.

If Kia won't do it, it might be worth an afternoon (or day?) of work. Like you said, it will bug you for the next 8 years.

When I bought a new Acura, which had multiple rattles, they would not track them down. Needless to say they lost me as a return customer.

I feel your pain.
Thanks, GeoSoul - I don't want to touch this while it's a warranty'd car. So, I'll test my patience, and I'll remember a previous suggestion to take it to the next level. For now, p a t i e n c e.

·
Registered
7,531 Posts
thanks, geosoul - i don't want to touch this while it's a warranty'd car. So, i'll test my patience, and i'll remember a previous suggestion to take it to the next level. For now, p a t i e n c e.
s e r e n i t y n o w !

:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts