Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Headlight issue

24K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JFehr2012Soul 
#1 ·
I wonder if anyone else has had issues with the 2010 year model Soul losing the right front headlight? I just had the headlight replaced on Saturday. Today, while driving, I thought I smelled something burning, but it wasn't enough to make me concerned (I thought it was my phone charger burning).
It disappated shortly before I got to work, so I put it out of my mind. Tonight, the smell came back, and when I got home with my daughter this evening, my headlight is out *again*. Just curious as to whether or not anyone else has run into this issue?

#2 ·
With halogen and HID bulbs, oils from your fingers can cause hot spots on the glass, leading to premature failure. Some of the cheaper 3rd world replacement bulbs apparently come pre-fingerprinted and no amount of careful handling will help.

Best solution is to wipe the bulb down with alcohol and dry with a clean paper towel before installing it -- handling it only by the connector end.

#3 ·
Hmmm. The dealership put the headlight in. I wonder if they maybe didn't check into that? I'm going to talk to them about the burning smell and the fact that it has no visible burn or "scorch" marks on the bulb. I promise, I'm not flashing my lights at people.

#7 ·
I changed the headlamp bulbs in out Sport the day we got it. The RH lamp was burned out on low beam, but the high beam was still good. A low beam burned out @ 42K miles seemed a bit quick, but I figured it was from Kia using the least expensive lamps they could buy. But, the OEM lamps that came out of my housings were Sylvanias, not some no-name generic like I was expecting. I'd bet that Sylvania is producing an "OEM grade" lamp that's less expensive for the auto manufacturers. I know I've seen many new vehicles lately running around with burned out or non-functional lamps, maybe that explains why.
JL

#9 ·
There could be some voltage transients from the alternator. Could be a bad or failing voltage regulator causing voltage spikes that would damage the low beam filament in the bulb. Something to watch for the future-at least the dealer has it on record that they have changed the lamp and a blown fuse now on your car-that might come in handy in the future if they end up chasing a charging system issue.
JL

#11 ·
I have to change out the right front light probably every 3 months. I thought it was just how I was putting it in or the bulb was bad, but the bulbs I got were warrantied and the new ones (specifically the right side) burned out within three months. So my next step is to the dealership, which is my least favorite thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.