Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our new Soul has been at our prototyping facility for the past few days getting a new header ready for development.

It was finished yesterday and I think it came out great. It is a 4-2-1 header with flexpipe. The first cat is eliminated, but there are O2 sensor bungs for both of those lines. The flexpipe connects right up to the second cat.

Our headers and exhausts are top quality. We use the best Stainless Steel (we have found Korean Stainless steel to be the best, we could go cheaper in China, but would take a big hit quality wise), and our welds are top notch.

Here is an example of one of our Elantra headers:

http://www.evofusionusa.com/TeamSR/Hyundai/01elantra-header.jpg

The regular retail price of the header will be 310 plus shipping.

We will have a prebuy for it on our website soon for only 250 plus shipping. If we can get 5 people to prepay it, we will start the production. (we want to make sure there is enough demand for it before we invest thousands more dollars into production).

If we can get 10 people to prepay it before its produced, everyone will get 30 dollars cash back, or 60 dollars store credit toward something else on our website.

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Wow if it looks as good at the Elantra header I would jump in on a prebuy. It would be nice to hear your experience with the header and emissions testing. Losing one cat on the set up would have me a bit concerned with passing the test but if it will pass I am sure many people here would be good to go!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For California customers I am not sure what they do with their SMOG testing. I cant say if they have tried to pass it. But that is why we make our headers bolt on. You can just swap back your stock header once every two years since you arent having to make any modifications to it to get our product fixed.

We had the header test fit prototype today. No check engine light while we tested it, and this being despite us not using the second O2 sensor. We marked with an X on our test header where the O2 sensor (2nd one) would go if ones wanted to put it on.

Here are pictures of our test fit prototype that we put together today. Its 100% bolt on, goes right to the 2nd cat.

http://s823.photobucket.com/albums/zz160/efautousa/Kia Soul Header/

·
Registered
409 Posts
my emission testing is every year. lol so I would need something that would pass.
How long did you run it with out the o2 in there. I am sure they just didn't put in o2 sensor in there for looks LOL.
Drive it for 100miles and see if it throws the CEL.
I'm not knocking your hard work, I just want to be sure it I could use it with out issue.

·
Registered
156 Posts
do want. now if the cat back exhaust you guys are making had a variant to it with a larger cat to blot together as one complete system, this would be highly interesting... im not at all interested in repalcing headers and cat back tho if i am still going to be using the stock cat...

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hello From Florida

sounds cool and not to sound too stupid but my question is ~~what is the advantage to this header on my Java ! 2.0 and will it void the warranty ??? thanks :confused:

·
Registered
409 Posts
sounds cool and not to sound too stupid but my question is ~~what is the advantage to this header on my Java ! 2.0 and will it void the warranty ??? thanks :confused:
Advantage is, more horsepower, if they do a dyno before and after header install. I hope they plan on doing this or their work will all be in vain.
Who's going to want to pay for a new header if there hasn't been any proven increase.
It will void your exhaust warranty, unless you put the stock header back on if you had an issue then took it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, the advantage is more horsepower. THe header and exhaust will also be a lot lighter than your stock one as well due to it being stainless steel.

Eventually we will do a dyno once we have production models ready. But without the dyno I wouldnt say it would totally be in vain, we are confident of horsepower increases. We havent made a header or exhaust yet that actually lost power to the car! :) With the design itself one can see that it will get gains. We usually like to see how much though down the road.

Exhaust warranty will be voided if you do not take it off. Dealerships though cannot void any other warranty unless they can prove that that specific modification is what caused the part you are trying to warranty to fail...

Most want the stock cat on there we found with other applications. However, anyone can throw in a high flow cat to replace that. I did not measure it out though to see if it has to be a custom high flow or not. I heard that in new cars there are no univeral high flows that work though. In our previous dyno testing with other applications, when removing one of the cats, and keeping one of them as opposed to putting a high flow cat, we found little to no gains with that, so we didnt want to charge people for something that wouldnt net them much.

·
Registered
838 Posts
yamaneko, have you done any performance dyno testing with the header to stock exhaust? Be interesting for you to chronicle all the gains and losses with each performance upgrade

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, not until production models come out. We used the design that worked best on the tests we did for the ELantra and Spectra engines, so feel confident that this design will work well.

Once we get production units in we will do baseline dyno and then each bolt on.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dyno results are key..

No, not until production models come out. We used the design that worked best on the tests we did for the ELantra and Spectra engines, so feel confident that this design will work well.

Once we get production units in we will do baseline dyno and then each bolt on.
Okay... So I am interested in the headers, especially at the prebuy price.. Now what if I prebuy, and then finally you put them in production and dyno them and I dont feel that the horsepower gain outweighs the cost?? I mean some cars gain more than others and if its only a little bit I dont know if I'd be as willing... Would I be able to cancel the order if it came down to that?? Its not that Im not confident in your guys' products, so far everything you have posted seems top notch and reasonable, but with the way things are going fiscally I would want to make sure that my money is being well spent towards real gains as opposed to buying headers just to buy headers and only net 5hp or so..

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree with this last post.

I am thinking of buying the CAI and the header. The prebuy prices are great (can you cut me a deal on shipping if I get both at once?). However, I'm a bit hesitant without knowing what it will give me performance/efficiency-wise. I assume once you get them in stock and can actually run numbers on them, the price will jump up. That's an ugly catch-22.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is part of the reason for the special price. You are getting a big discount off of the regular price because first of all you have to wait for it to be finished, and also you are purchasing off of the brand's reputation as opposed to word of mouth from customers who have that product. On the other hand we offer it at a special price since we have to invest so much money into its development, that any prebuy money helps a little toward that.

We have used this exact manifold design before with this engine and have had good success with those models. The downpipe is a new design, but we are confident that it is the best design for this application.

The bottom line is I do not think you will see another header made specifically for the US Spec Souls, at this quality, and at this price. For years we have always had the best bang for your buck exhaust and header parts for Korean Cars. Our quality is the same if not better than the expensive Korean brands you see selling for twice as much. Our price is not as cheap as the mass produced Chinese pieces you see on ebay, but the quality cannot be compared neither.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is part of the reason for the special price. You are getting a big discount off of the regular price because first of all you have to wait for it to be finished, and also you are purchasing off of the brand's reputation as opposed to word of mouth from customers who have that product. On the other hand we offer it at a special price since we have to invest so much money into its development, that any prebuy money helps a little toward that.

We have used this exact manifold design before with this engine and have had good success with those models. The downpipe is a new design, but we are confident that it is the best design for this application.

The bottom line is I do not think you will see another header made specifically for the US Spec Souls, at this quality, and at this price. For years we have always had the best bang for your buck exhaust and header parts for Korean Cars. Our quality is the same if not better than the expensive Korean brands you see selling for twice as much. Our price is not as cheap as the mass produced Chinese pieces you see on ebay, but the quality cannot be compared neither.

My biggest thing would be noise. Did you take any audio clips of how it sounded with stock exhaust or anything ? I want to know what it sounds like as i dont want some honda fartcan sound. I know its a 4 banger but some sound good.

Also. I want to see a prebuy for the Cold air intake the headers and the catback all at once. mine as well be able to breath as much as you exhale can you set up a deal for that ? there would be the best gains.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My biggest thing would be noise. Did you take any audio clips of how it sounded with stock exhaust or anything ? I want to know what it sounds like as i dont want some honda fartcan sound. I know its a 4 banger but some sound good.

Also. I want to see a prebuy for the Cold air intake the headers and the catback all at once. mine as well be able to breath as much as you exhale can you set up a deal for that ? there would be the best gains.

If nobody else wants it I may be interested in getting all of that from you and would be willing to go get the car dynod stock as is then install all the options individually and then all together to give you the gains if the price is right. If so PM me

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Once all items are out, yes we will have package deals for them. The exhaust will be last obviously as we have not even decided the route we are going to use for it. The biggest question is bumper placement.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts