Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone has made any handling or engine mods that really made your Soul a much better car?

Over the years I've watched gearheads spend thousands in shocks, springs, swaybars, bushings, computer chips, air filters, plugs, wires, fresh air induction, different wheels, etc. And other than adding a supercharger or turbo, most mods really added little to what the car was originally. Frankly, as I look at all the things I've done to make my Miata a "better" car.....probably the most two biggest things were sticky high performance tires and advancing the timing a few degrees. I don't mean it isn't fun to play with all those other things but in all honesty an average driver (my wife) would probably never feel the difference.

So, is there anything you've done that the factory "should" have done to make it better car performance wise?

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
The SSD strut bar made a big difference in handling on my 2010 Exclaim. Much more stable and planted to the road.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using the AutoGuide App.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Simple stuff, that won't void the warranty is all I do.

Install a K&N Air cleaner on the engine, for easier breathing and a little more BHP.

Extra air in the tires, for better handling, quicker steering and longer coasting. Saves fuel!

"Prolong Oil additive" in the engine, for less friction, less heat and more BHP. Saves fuel!
(and prolongs the life of the engine)

I've done nothing, that anyone else can't do for just a few bucks. Way less than changes to the suspension.

Happy Motoring!

:cool:

·
Registered
411 Posts
+1 on the SSD strut bar. Before I bought it, I thought no way a bar could make that much difference, but you notice a huge difference, even straight line driving and hitting pot holes. Worth the money!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Interestng info on the strut bar.If I had to offer one gripe on my 013 + its the front suspension.
Its just seems "loose".Based on past vehicles I've owned it feels like front shocks(struts )are loose or,
a bushing is worn.Not bad on regular smooth surface driving.Just when you hit bumps.You just don't get
a solid suspension rebound.
Will the strut bar solve this?

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
Interestng info on the strut bar.If I had to offer one gripe on my 013 + its the front suspension.
Its just seems "loose".Based on past vehicles I've owned it feels like front shocks(struts )are loose or,
a bushing is worn.Not bad on regular smooth surface driving.Just when you hit bumps.You just don't get
The bar is relatively inexpensive, it is fairly easy to install (a little drilling is all), and it can't hurt anything. Give it a try.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts
Yes!!!! The main reason to have a strut bar is to tighten up the front end.....

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Strut bars are probably the biggest change you can make to something like the Soul and notice it unless you're a real driving aficionado. When I had Miatas one of the first things we (as in the community) did was add the strut bar. Without it there's too much independent flex in the shock towers, giving the car the feel of walking on a mattress when you're hitting road deformities. Same thing on my old Mustangs, wherein the bar would be a 3 point bar to tie the shock towers to the firewall. That made a noticeable difference in just normal driving. Things like lowering springs or polyurethane bushings only really mattered to people who were driving the vehicle hard, as you'd never really notice it in normal driving.

PS: Hawker, I had 2 95 Miatas. The best year as far as I'm concerned! I wish I had a farm so I had enough room to keep all the cars I enjoy, because I loved the Miata.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Simple stuff, that won't void the warranty is all I do.

Install a K&N Air cleaner on the engine, for easier breathing and a little more BHP.

Extra air in the tires, for better handling, quicker steering and longer coasting. Saves fuel!

"Prolong Oil additive" in the engine, for less friction, less heat and more BHP. Saves fuel!
(and prolongs the life of the engine)

I've done nothing, that anyone else can't do for just a few bucks. Way less than changes to the suspension.

Happy Motoring!

:cool:

You may be firmly decided on this Prolong subject but this is an interesting bit about the industry of "mineral oil and food coloring"

Car maintenance bibles: Oil Additives

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh boy...this could be trouble. ;) Have to agree with you Sheepdog and no offense TechnoMaage...but if you do your digging (and it doesn't take long) there is no real, objective, long-term evidence that oil additives do anything helpful. As a child of the 50s and 60s I grew up on STP, Andy Granatelli and the turbine car at Indy...but sorry Andy...it's just all marketing.

Ever try to pour STP out of a can? What is that stuff, like 90WT?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Just find some PF Flyer tennis shoes from the 50s...they claimed to make kids run faster, so they will make your foot faster on the gas pedal. Chips, additives etc...just a good way for manufacturers to make lots of money.
Car placebos!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I'm gonna go with the SSD bar.
All my other cars are in the performance category.
They came stock with strut bars.I added a aftermarket bar
to my 350Z due to needing more clearance after adding a plenum spacer.
Also the new bar(Carbing)had a neat damper that went against the firewall mounted
master cylinder.Really improved the braking.Hate to say it but a lot of guys buy cheap bars
mostly for looks not performance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
SOUTH SOUL
Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners
We’re the ultimate Kia Soul community dedicated to Soul owners and fans!
Full Forum Listing